Teenage Bodybuilding

This is just what we need. Teenagers believing they can’t make progress because they’re not at the right “hormonal age”.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
This is just what we need. Teenagers believing they can’t make progress because they’re not at the right “hormonal age”. [/quote]

No shit man. This is fucked.

Pink, dude DO NOT wait for ‘luck’ ( see genetics/hormones ) to save your scrawny ass!

Make your own God damn luck son!

I played 3 sports in highschool when I was a teenager and I feel it crippled my overall size a bit.

I ate all the food i could get my hands on.

I would literally eat 6 huge meals a day and snack on junkfood in between, and when I calculated it, was well over 6 grand a day, something like 6700.

I was still fighting to gain any weight, I was lean as anything, but just couldn’t gain much size, I was growing but slowly, simply couldn’t eat enough.

I gained about 20 pounds the summer leading up to college. I kept weight training and eating, but wasn’t burning a million calories a day anymore. Best summer of my life, almost no fat, put on a ton of muscle.

[quote]pink14 wrote:
I am 14 6’2" 165lbs I take in 4500 calories a day and about 180 grams of protein and lift about 5-6 times a week My bench is only 165 trying to get that up with extra push ups every night sqat 245 deadlift 265 millitary press 125x3 and have been doing the calories and all the lifting constantly for about four months and have not put on one pound.

So would you guys say that its just my body needs to go through whatever hormonal till i can put on weight i am getting my lifts up quite significantly actually though.[/quote]

Eat more protein, and calories in general

Well I take in 4500 calories and around like 180 grams of proteing I thought that was a lot what are some things I should eat to boost that any suggestions

[quote]pink14 wrote:
Well I take in 4500 calories and around like 180 grams of proteing I thought that was a lot what are some things I should eat to boost that any suggestions[/quote]

Doesn’t matter what the number of calories is, that means nothing. Double the portion sizes of what you are eating and you will gain weight.

[quote]pink14 wrote:
Well I take in 4500 calories and around like 180 grams of proteing I thought that was a lot what are some things I should eat to boost that any suggestions[/quote]

180 grams isn’t really all that much. To boost it…eat more foods with high protein

my gains between 19-20 dwarf my gains between 16-18.

A couple of old timers at the gym mentioned something about muscle maturity. I don’t know how much merit that has, but I do know that i’m gaining more now than I ever have.

So yeah, I think age or how quickly your body matures has a lot to do with your gains.

I think overtraining is a myth. You can’t overtrain if you eat enough. As a matter of fact I’ll say that unless I’m training extremely hard were most people would tell me that I’m doing too much, I won’t make progress.

Again it’s all relative to what your body can handle and the nutrients you give it, but in the end you need to train really hard to see results. I know for me my body responds very well to lots of volume (arms grew an inch in the last 3 months vs 1.5 in the first 6) and I now train my upper body twice a week with 20 sets for chest shoulders, 18 for biceps and 26 for triceps.

For me recovery isn’t an issue as most days after a workout the soreness starts to wear off at noon, but I know my nutrition and sleep is perfect (2xlb protein a day and at least 8 hours of sleep a night). In the end it really is all relative to what you can handle and knowing yourself is best vs going just what somebody said or what you read.

[quote]WormwoodTheory wrote:

A couple of old timers at the gym mentioned something about muscle maturity. I don’t know how much merit that has, but I do know that i’m gaining more now than I ever have.

So yeah, I think age or how quickly your body matures has a lot to do with your gains.[/quote]

LOL to “muscle maturity” at age 20…a whole thread full of teenagers…full of win for sure.
Oh, by the way STOP TEXTING IN THE MIDDLE OF MY AEROSPACE STRUCTURES CLASS!! Carry on.

I’m no expert, but I don’t think age matters HUGELY in terms of progress IF you have your diet and workout and sleep in order. I used to go to the gym when I was in my teens but had no idea what I was doing. I was fit, but scrawny and weak (even more than now). Then in winter 2008/09 I started reading and learning, got a PT at my gym to sort a routine out for me and started actually doing it right, with consistency. I was 20, but what mattered was I was doing the right stuff. That’s what counts, regardless of where your hormones are at, IMO.

EDIT: Some caveats… I probably couldn’t have forced myself to eat enough at 16 - 18, and definitely didn’t have the mental maturity. I would eat all day long as it is, easily as much as I do now and not put on any weight of any kind.

[quote]nik133 wrote:
I think overtraining is a myth. You can’t overtrain if you eat enough. As a matter of fact I’ll say that unless I’m training extremely hard were most people would tell me that I’m doing too much, I won’t make progress.

Again it’s all relative to what your body can handle and the nutrients you give it, but in the end you need to train really hard to see results. I know for me my body responds very well to lots of volume (arms grew an inch in the last 3 months vs 1.5 in the first 6) and I now train my upper body twice a week with 20 sets for chest shoulders, 18 for biceps and 26 for triceps.

For me recovery isn’t an issue as most days after a workout the soreness starts to wear off at noon, but I know my nutrition and sleep is perfect (2xlb protein a day and at least 8 hours of sleep a night). In the end it really is all relative to what you can handle and knowing yourself is best vs going just what somebody said or what you read.[/quote]

It took me a long time to see the difference between what I could push myself to do in the gym versus what I needed to do in the gym to grow. As you LEARN to put more intensity into each rep and set, you will find that you will not be able to do as many sets. This is especially true if you are in the 8-12 rep range and come close to failure. I do think high volume, mod intensity will work, but you will eventually reach a plateau.

[quote]pja wrote:

[quote]WormwoodTheory wrote:

So yeah, I think age or how quickly your body matures has a lot to do with your gains.[/quote]

LOL to “muscle maturity” at age 20…a whole thread full of teenagers…full of win for sure.
Oh, by the way STOP TEXTING IN THE MIDDLE OF MY AEROSPACE STRUCTURES CLASS!! Carry on.
[/quote]

what’s so unbelievable about my body being more mature at 20 then it was at 16?

Its quite straight forward that it would be more mature at 20 than 16 lol

[quote]bwhitwell wrote:

[quote]nik133 wrote:

For me recovery isn’t an issue as most days after a workout the soreness starts to wear off at noon, but I know my nutrition and sleep is perfect (2xlb protein a day and at least 8 hours of sleep a night). In the end it really is all relative to what you can handle and knowing yourself is best vs going just what somebody said or what you read.[/quote]

It took me a long time to see the difference between what I could push myself to do in the gym versus what I needed to do in the gym to grow. As you LEARN to put more intensity into each rep and set, you will find that you will not be able to do as many sets. This is especially true if you are in the 8-12 rep range and come close to failure. I do think high volume, mod intensity will work, but you will eventually reach a plateau.[/quote]

I agree in a sense, but I take every set very seriously and try to train with as much intensity as possible. I try to PR on every exercise and even though I know this isn’t realistic my other goal is just to hit one pr for each body part. However I think for people that are starting out, you should do more sets as opposed to less and be closer to over training rather then under training, I realize that once I get stronger and bigger it will take less and less to fatigue the muscle, but for now I feel very comfortable doing what I am doing and getting the results I’m getting. I feel if I did any less and with the good recovery I’m getting out of all that I’m doing it would be foolish.

[quote]pja wrote:
]

[/quote]

You’re completely right, why are we giving our personal take and experience on something that recently happened to us? My apologies for insulting your obviously superior understanding of bodybuilding and what it is like to make teenage gains with my trivial and ludicrous input and opinion. Btw great and mighty physique (that coincidentally has never been seen on this site), it must have taken you great hard work to put those key strokes in the about me hub.

Eat until you believe

A wise man once said to me “If you can fuck, you can grow, the rest is all details”.