Teenage Back-Off Week

How do you think that age would affect how often I should take a back off week? I’m still a teenager (just!) and wondered if I might need fewer back off weeks or less recovery time.

Would 4-5 days away from weights be sufficient?

An unloading week also serves to rejuvenate you pyschologically and keep you amped about training…

The 3 up 1 down method works well for most people, but I see nothing wrong with taking an auto-regulatory approach…gauge your need for a low volume/intensity week by paying attention to your motivation levels…

Best of luck

[quote]Ramo wrote:
An unloading week also serves to rejuvenate you pyschologically and keep you amped about training…

The 3 up 1 down method works well for most people, but I see nothing wrong with taking an auto-regulatory approach…gauge your need for a low volume/intensity week by paying attention to your motivation levels…

Best of luck[/quote]

I think the key statement here is lower intensity/volume week. you do not need to totally step away from the weights for a back off. I do not know how age will effect this as obviously you have there is a good chance your recovery ability could be greater then people older then you. However this is just in relation to your hormones. There are alot of other things to consider when trying to figure out your recovery abilities.

My advice would be to experement with different lengths of back offs as well as maybe trying different training period lengths before you take a back off. the 3 up- 1 down is just a basic guideline just like everything in training you will have to find what works best for you.

I’ve just finished my last work out of the Waterbury Method (4 weeks of 10x3 and 4x6) and it was bloody useless. My lifts were down from the corresponding workout in week 3. I’m going to take at least 5 days off now.

I understand why I should reduce the volume but why should I reduce the intensity? Wouldn’t it be best to lift the same weight as normal but for only 15 minutes using just one compound movement?

One last question: If you’re having a rubbish workout is it best to walk out and save your energy?