Teen Powerlifting

Hey guys

I was considering going into powerlifting. I will be 16 in august and I weigh ~165 now, but ive been gaining some weight lately, so ill probably be about 170 pretty soon (idk if that will affect the weight class im in.) Ill be a junior in highschool next year. Im just wondering what type of numbers id need to be putting up to be considered pretty good. I cant really find much online.

Thanks a lot.

Tom

Where do you live?

In regards to what it takes to be competitive, here are links to three state sites that have exemplary HS Powerlifting Programs:

www.neenah.k12.wi.us/whspa/

www.thspa.org/

www.lhspla.org/

You can check the records and results to see what lifters in your weight class and age category are totaling.

Here is a link to the results from this years High School Nationals:

2007_high_school_nationals.htm

At your body weight you would be a 181. It doesn’t make sense at your age and experience level to cut weight.

This is a sport that sometimes takes years to hit your stride in. We typically see High School lifters start to settle in around their 5th meet and start putting together consistently decent meets at their 8-10th outing.

Bottom line don’t worry about what you lift, just get out there and see if you like it.

Depending on what city and state you are in, I may be able to get you in touch with someone who can help you.

Best of luck.

Agree and how tall are you. I wouldnt worry on cutting weight just get strong as hell and have fun

this will help check by state for meets
http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/

Phill

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
Where do you live?

In regards to what it takes to be competitive, here are links to three state sites that have exemplary HS Powerlifting Programs:

www.neenah.k12.wi.us/whspa/

www.thspa.org/

www.lhspla.org/

You can check the records and results to see what lifters in your weight class and age category are totaling.

Here is a link to the results from this years High School Nationals:

2007_high_school_nationals.htm

At your body weight you would be a 181. It doesn’t make sense at your age and experience level to cut weight.

This is a sport that sometimes takes years to hit your stride in. We typically see High School lifters start to settle in around their 5th meet and start putting together consistently decent meets at their 8-10th outing.

Bottom line don’t worry about what you lift, just get out there and see if you like it.

Depending on what city and state you are in, I may be able to get you in touch with someone who can help you.

Best of luck.

[/quote]

Im probably around 5’8 to 5’10 tops. I live in New York. I know that in my school im one of the stronger kids, and in my town im probably stronger than most kids (if we take into consideration of BW).

I really enjoy lifting weights, i figured i might get competitive with it, but chances are ill only do that if i can see my self being somewhat successful. Otherwise, i just lift for recreation (and shotput/discus).

I was in high school powerlifting all four years and had a blast. I was in the 165’s so im probably close to the same weight as you. There were some strong guys at some of the meets. From what ove seen, first place in the 65’s is ussually a 1100+total, a lot of times guys were putting up 1300+. It was pretty awesome to see.