Teen Nutrition for Starting Strength

well if your situation can’t be changed then you’ll just have to make do with what you’ve got.

And another piece of friendly advice: stop obsessing about your test levels. Unless you are showing symptoms of being hypogonadal, then it’s really not worth thinking about. Trust me on this.

Yeah had a feeling something not right, that program not meant to be done 6 days a week, but just re-read and its not that clear! Should be done either three days a week, or two on-one off, at most, especially when mixed with a physical job.
Next two weeks just train like mon wed fri and then can up the frequency. This change alone you might blow up!

K that makes more sense, good you’re learning a trade

1 Like

You can’t afford to use 20 of your money to buy extra food on top of what you mums feeding you but you think you can afford to get and run a car?

excuses much!

1 Like

I can somewhat sympathize with Randoms plight. I went on an absolute tear to get from 150 lbs. to 170 lbs. with a metabolism like a blast furnace working as a tree cutter.

But that sympathy has its limit. Yogi nailed it with the ground meat and rice. Potatoes are also usually very cheap. Cubed, baked and tossed in an olive oil dressing, they make a great snack. Don’t be shy about a few swigs of evo straight out of the bottle either. Even low quality olive oil is pretty tasty. Don’t know about England, but in the US we have pre-shaped frozen bread doughs that are cheap as hell for a pack of 6. Broken in half they make great huge burger buns. You can shingle 3 patties on each 8 oz. bun. They also make great pizzas and calzones or any other turnover type of food envelope. Dough is a great raw material to work with. In general, carbohydrates are very cheap. The packaging is actually more expensive than the product. Buy big.

Something you have to do as a life skill is shop with an eye for value. Go for what ever proteins you can get with the biggest bang for buck and learn how to cook with the purpose of your goal in mind.

Actually, riding a bike to the grocery store and riding the food back in a back pack taught me that really quickly (if that is logistically possible).

I agree with @Yogi1 and @Benanything

1. besides trans fats, the types of fat you eat aren’t nearly as important as you think they are (assuming you’re not a morbidly obese senior citizen with high blood pressure and cholesterol)

2. don’t ask for advice and then ignore all the excellent advice everyone gave you

3. quit the bitching and moaning about your hard knock life

4. beef eggs and rice are all great muscle builders and diet cheap, eat a shit ton of em

Doing sparkying, I’ve followed the 200g beef 500g of rice meals yogi gave me, I have 2 of them a day then the same as usual for breakfast sorry if you feel like I’m chewing your fingers off now but is there a particular reason e.g. my age why I do 1 day on 1 day off and do I up the intensity once I’m say 150?

Well A) thats how Dan John wrote it -can google ‘Dan John Mass Made Simple Lite’ for the article’s original form
B) On top of a construction job its just too much for a beginner, especially when your metabolism is sky high, you’re just chasing your own tail.

Err well get to 150 first, but limited volume training(presuming hitting it hard) on top of manual labour is actually highly effective. Quality not quantity: Next step is probably Texas method or 5/3/1 where the intensity will naturally increase over time but still only 3-4 days a week

Good plan with beef and rice, where is the weight at now??

1 Like

62.4 kg was 60 kg So I think it is working

Right, I’m maintaining 64kg now and I think I’ve lost Bodyfat too whilst doing it, I feel I’d make more gains if I had a 5 day week plan, I don’t as sore on my workouts now and I push them so I feel like I’ve adapted, I have things like driving lessons on Saturdays that get in the way of the gym as it closes 2pm on Saturdays and also Sundays it is closed, Would 48hrs off be adequate or should I split the days off to a Sunday or Wednesday and find a push/pull workout, My squats have gone up by 10kg, Bench 5kg, and the cleans 5kg, Thanks @Yogi1 for the advice for the beef and rice because I eat 1kg of rice and 500g beef + Kale in the mornings I make sure to get in carbs and proteins in the morning, I think I’d have made more if I was more consistent with my plan because some days I’d miss out on the saturday sessions and then I’d start again Tuesday because I always wanted Wednesdays off because I get back from college later, Do you know of any 5 day plans that would be beneficial for me?

I dont quite understand your schedule -so what days do you train?

Tuesdays,Thursdays and Saturdays but if it was a 5 day week I’d miss Wednesdays and Sundays and the rest O’d train

Ok. That solid progress you’ve made[quote=“random8889, post:69, topic:221247”]
My squats have gone up by 10kg, Bench 5kg, and the cleans 5kg
[/quote]

-for the sake of arguement if you could keep this up for a year you will look totally transfomed.
So for now stick to what you’re doing in terms of schedule. Still nowhere near the stage you should be thinking of 5 days.
Can make some small additions to kick it up a notch though - 1 day a week can swap the machine rows for dumbell rows, do for 5x10-15

Every other workout can add on of these as a finisher just before the farmers walks, 4 sets of press ups or 1 to 2 rounds for the tricep work. Will definitly ‘feel’ it after these:

2 Likes

I realized my form was completely incorrect for the bench and I was using my fitnesspal to count calories which claimed my rice was more caloricly dense then it was so I’m now eating pasta and chicken because I can put a lot of oil on the chicken for the calories and the pasta is more dense I started doing this this week, I took a week off for christmas to dodge the new years resolution people… I came back did workout A and my lower back is hurting?, Is this part of the workout, I wear a belt too btw and also I point my toes fowards whilst doing squats now because Palumbo said they target the inner and outer leg and I can feel it :joy:

I thought Rippetoe wrote Starting Strength. Is Palumbo the co-author?

1 Like

No, I just saw him in a clip explaining that if you point your toes fowards you will target the inside aswell as the outside, Starting Strength isn’t Starting Bodybuilding but Strength is also a good base for a teen like me

Why not follow Rippetoe’s advice on how to run his program?

It’s Dan John’s programme I’m doing, a squat is a squat.

I feel as though you just wrote otherwise in this thread. Doesn’t a toes forward squat have a different impact from a toes out squat?

Every time you write, I get confused…

Which program are you doing exactly?

Rip’s, Dan John’s, Palumbo’s??

1 Like

I was asking if my lower back is supposed to get inflammation in any of the “10 Secrets to Build Mass Article” way up there.