T Nation

Teen Needing Diet Advice

Hello, I am 16. I started lifting last year when I was 15, and we'll over 230 lbs. I stand 5"7. I started training mixed martial arts, and I got motivated to lose weight. Right now I am sitting at 160.6. I am wrestling for my school this year & I need help with my diet, I know what foods to eat but how much of each macronutrients should I consume?? I eat turkey burgers,turkey Bacon, eggs, tilapia, tuna, shrimp, chicken, broccolli, salad, spinach, greek yogurt, almond milk, PB2, no fat cottage cheese and that's about it. Sometimes I eat a lean and fit meal & regular peanut butter.

I consume 160-200 grams of protein. 100-150 grams of carbs. And 35-50 grams of fat. All I'm worried about is my carb intake. Is it to low? I lift Monday. Weds. Fri and do a 1-2 mile run those days . TUes, thurs and sat are Plyometric work and sprints. The only supplements I take are BSN Aminox and On Whey GoldStandard. Is there anything I should add to my diet ? What should the structure of my macros look like?

Protein looks good, judge your other macros by how you recover/gain weight.

I’d say you could increase the fat intake by 50-100% - I’m by no means a high fat/low carb guy but your body needs some fat. Of course, you’d have to cut out some of the carbs if you want to take in the same amount of calories.

Two more things - water and vegetables. Neither will matter to your macros but both will to your well-being.

Based on your numbers of what macros you consume you’re eating 1355-1850calories a day. Ever your upper end is pretty low. If you’re lifting, running, doing martial arts etc. I would think about increasing your carbs and fat intake. What are your current goals? Are you trying to cut down more? Bulk up? Or strictly for performance?

[quote]Drice21 wrote:
Based on your numbers of what macros you consume you’re eating 1355-1850calories a day. Ever your upper end is pretty low. If you’re lifting, running, doing martial arts etc. I would think about increasing your carbs and fat intake. What are your current goals? Are you trying to cut down more? Bulk up? Or strictly for performance?[/quote]

Nailed it.

That said, OP, you’re WAY more on top of your diet than any 16 year old I know. Protein looks fine, just fine tune the amount of carbs and fats to suit your goal(s).

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Two more things - water and vegetables. [/quote]

Given OP is still a teen, don’t forget: say your prayers and take your vitamins. B-)

Since you’ve already gotten answers.

How did you get to “well over 230” at 15? Were you always bigger? Was it how you were eating, or what you were eating, or both?

Congratulations on losing it and eating well now.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
I’d say you could increase the fat intake by 50-100% - I’m by no means a high fat/low carb guy but your body needs some fat. Of course, you’d have to cut out some of the carbs if you want to take in the same amount of calories.

Two more things - water and vegetables. Neither will matter to your macros but both will to your well-being.[/quote]

Co-sign. More vegetables, maybe a little more fat.

Note that “fat” does not mean “pizza” - good fats. Replace your PB2 with regular PB, maybe. Whole-fat dairy instead of low-fat. Occasional fatty cuts of meat instead of lean ones. Some nuts. That’s how you get good fats.

Thanks guys. All helped. I was 230 lbs due to over eating, no working out, from 13-15 I was bigger . 15 my weight peaked huge. 230 lbs. Due to playing video games, pop