T Nation

Teen Named Tim with Long Limbs

If you read this post, I would appreciate any recommendations on buying a belt. I use a decent Gold’s Gym belt and it looks like it’s starting to tear a bit.

1 Like

Sorry, it’s unavailable :cry:

Here’s another one, slightly more expensive but should be good

Dont buy a gym bro belt, by a proper powerlifting belt. Belts are typically 4 inches wide and either 10mm or 13mm thick. They come with different buckle options, single prong, double prong, lever.
If you are going to compete in a powerlifting fed at any time in the future you may want to ensure that the belt meets the feds requirements but most 4" belts are OK.
I would go with a prong buckle rather than a lever belt. Levers look cool but they are a pain to adjust especially of you have a different tightness for different lifts. I also think that for most lifters a 10mm thick belt is a great option. It will be quicker to break in and 13mm is overkill for most lifters.
I have a Pioneer 10mm single prong belt which I love, the advantage with this belt is that has holes set out at half inch adjustments which makes it easy to get the right fit. Most standard single prong belts will 1 inch adjustments.
There is a lot of choice and price variation, so a lot of it will come down to what you want to spend. Any decent 4 inch 10mm belt will get the job done but I would always suggest spending a little extra and getting something that will last.

3 Likes

Definitely agree with this. I bought a cheap $50 Amazon belt, and I still use it from time to time but I mainly use my elite fts belt. It’s a 4" wide lever style, but thicker than 10mm (can’t remember how thick) and I love it. I’ve had it a while and it’s still pretty stiff.

Maybe see if you can buddy up and borrow a belt from someone at the gym to try?

Edit: also, awesome job on intermediate so far man!!! Those 9 sets to 100 are no joke.

1 Like

Thank you @simo74 and @boilerman. I am so glad I didn’t spend money on a college meal plan. I’m getting college refund money and I also have a scholarship check that my dumbass didn’t turn in yet. Definitely have money for a new belt.

2 Likes

I gotta manage my time better when it comes to studying. My 3 roommates are so energetic. I do not regret playing uno with them 2 times at like 11 pm. Nor do I regret playing a ufc game with them on the xbox.

I just gotta step it up with the studying.

killer deadlifts man

2 Likes

Congrats on smashing the deads dude! You’re putting on a great show for intermediate.

I’ve had an Inzer 13mm Forever Lever belt since 2011, and it’s been my favorite. I’ve tried a few others and none have compared. I liked it so much I bought a second one to be able to wear with a deadlift suit.

I think a college meal plan is well worth it for a growing college boy, but I was ALSO a fan of befriending women that had extra meals/food credits who were willing to sponsor an up and coming strength athlete/MMA fighter…

1 Like

Thank you so much Pwn. I can’t wait to see how far I’ll go when I run another uhhh cycle of deep water beginner and intermediate. I’m not tired of this program at all. It’s pretty difficult which makes training fun and also u just eat a ton. If I can just keep running this until I reach a godly amount of strength I would. I will find out by doing so.

1 Like

Random life dump:

I got bombarded with a lot of schoolwork and student org related stuff. I only went to the gym once last week but, at least that was a nice session. I’m just gonna redo that whole week this week but instead of deadlifts for 100 reps it will just be squats for 100 reps.

Human # 3
I spent 8 hours at some student organization summit last Saturday. It was alright I guess. I mean I ain’t too mad cause I got a free t-shirt. This event required two representatives of each org to show up. It was me and the Vice President. She’s a cool person kinda silly. We just talked on and off for like the entire event.

Human # 4ish
I put “ish” there because this was on a zoom meeting. I held an executive board meeting last friday. The secretary joined a lil earlier to the meeting. She asked me how it was finding my way around campus. I said it was easy finding my classes then I said the hours for the school fitness center are trash. Then I asked how school and everything was for her. She said she was apart of other orgs and I think she’s apart of a sorority. I remember the first executive board meeting I held she complimented me. She said I was doing a good job as a new president. She’s a year older than me lol. I haven’t met her in person yet but I will in late September when we all pass out a bunch of snacks to students. These snack bags will have flyers of the student org on them(it’s her great idea). Ngl she’s very pretty.

@FlatsFarmer I started talking to the right people about that internship idea thingy. Talked to the cmgt chairperson (my go to guy) via zoom and he likes the idea. Now I gotta talk to more people.

**Deep Water Intermediate **
Week 4 (again)
**Day 13 **

Squat

295 lbs x 12

295 lbs x 11

295 lbs x 11

295 lbs x 11

295 lbs x 9 (pinching shoulder pain on right

295 lbs x 9 ( pinching shoulder pain on left)

295 lbs x 9 ( right bicep and right lat cramp)

295 lbs x 11 (pain everywhere put pushed through. Screwed right shoulder up)

295 lbs x 11 (quit using thumbless grip and pain seemed to subside)

295 lbs x 7 (bonus set to get all reps)

This was all I could squeeze in the gym today

I will do planks/situps when I’m done with my classes.

Obviously this didn’t go smoothly. I think I messed up the bar placement on my back. Idk why but my right lat feels bigger than my left. I noticed that for ohp and bench as well.

I still got 100 reps so I’m happy. I won’t go any heavier than this for the remainder of intermediate. On week 6, squats will be cleaner.

2 Likes

Deep Water Intermediate
Week 4
Day 14 (Yesterday)

Push Press

110 lbs x 15

110 lbs x 12

110 lbs x 12

110 lbs x 10

110 lbs x 10

110 lbs x 11

110 lbs x 10

110 lbs x 10.5

Barbell Curls

85 lbs x 10

85 lbs x 10

85 lbs x 10

85 lbs x 10

85 lbs x 10

60 sec plank - 20 sit ups, 3 sets no rest

Got a long way to go until I’m able to do 135 lbs for 100 reps.

1 Like

Gentlemen, today we are going to see how much meat I can stuff in this thing. I share this fridge with 3 other dudes. I don’t really have an idea of what to do when it comes to steak. I can just buy ground beef and make taco bowls.

@boilerman what did u buy at walmart dude?

Yk what’s funny I never even eaten steak.

You spelled “tragic” wrong.

2 Likes

Sirloin is cheap and hard to screw up. Doesn’t taste great, but very simple.

3 Likes

Walmart has a lot of good things, at least where I am. They have a grass fed section, with grass fed ground, Ribeyes, strip steaks and stuff like that.

Maybe try braising something? Super easy to do and you can just follow a recipe for the rub.

2 Likes

32 Frozen Beef Burgers
32 Slices of American Cheese
20 Ribeye Steaks
2 packs of 1lb ground beef
2 packs of mexican blend cheese
1 container of sour cream
1 big ol jug of canola oil
Pack of salted butter
2 packs of nature valley protein bars (in case I get lazy and have to eat on the go)
2 Packs of Taco Seasoning

Forget friggin tomatoes :frowning:

Could not find rosemary or thyme. Btw this Walmart was corny. I stopped here just cause it was close to the gym. I spent like $130 bucks and 50 on gas today. Oof well it’ll be worth it. I still have that extra scholarship money. I’ll be fine.

Could not find any sirloin steaks. In fact all they had were these ribeye steaks.

2 Likes

Get some ground beef or ground turkey or something. Throw a little BBQ sauce on it. Not very exciting but super easy to make.

Will you be cooking in your dorm? May want to open a window and point a fan towards it so you don’t make your roommates’ living space and clothes get that smoky, cooked food kind of smell.

1 Like

Dude, scrap this and get some olive oil or avocado oil. Otherwise, some amazing buys. Ribeyes are yummy.

1 Like