Teen Lifter Who Needs Help!

Hello Gents,

I am 16 years old and I have access to only about 200lbs of weight at this time… but soon I am getting a job, which means a gym membership. In the meantime, I am new to “powerlifting” and “olympic lifting”, sadly… I was raised on a Bowflex and P90X, lol. The saddest part is… I still have some bad bodyfat percentage. Until I get some real weight, I will practice technique… and raise my bench to 200 :smiley:

What is the best program to cut my bodyfat percentage and build muscle? For nutrition, I am following Berardi’s 7 habits of healthy eating. I have looked at so many different routines… so I am a tad confused. I just want NO -BS, hard lifting. I want real results… I am sick of getting skinny, sure I am getting “ripped”, but I have no muscle… so I got fat and gained a little bit of muscle. I am just confused… any help?

How tall are you? How much do you weight? what are your current lifts? This will help people give you better advice.

Oh soz mate, forgot that. I thought I posted it, lol. I weigh 170lbs, I am 5’ 11’’ (almost 6!!!). I am trying to figure out what lifts to perform, lol. What is the best for my goals?

Depends on how fat you are. If you’re carrying a lot of body fat the advice is going to be to drop some weight before trying to get bigger and stronger (dropping body fat/adding muscle are normally mutually exclusive).

A good start would be to go over to the beginners section and read the stickies. You kinda have no idea how to get where you want to go. Holding your hand isn’t what the forum is here for. You need to learn more and ask specific questions, create a plan of action and you can ask the knowledgeable folks here to critique it.

Beginner forum: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner?pageNo=1&s=forumsNavTop

Sticky: One Armed Row and Bench Critique - Beginners - Forums - T Nation

Starting Strength is always a safe bet.

Squats and Milk!

Alright! Sounds good, Thank you. I wouldn’t want anyone to hold my hand or anything (I have sensitive skin :P), I was just looking for direction. I’m jumping on Beginner’s Square now, Thank you!

Its powerlifting, I would just try to get stronger. If you are actually fat (at 5’11" and 170 I have no clue how you could be fat, unless you also have next to no muscle) then just try and eat pretty healthy, do more GPP work, ect.

With that height/weight ratio, I would say just add muscle. If you do that right, you may have the same or a little more fat, but end up with a lower bodyfat percentage.

If you want to be good at powerlifting at that height you will need to be considerably heavier…preferably with muscle. Otherwise your leverages will suck.

As far as training, the most important thing at first is perfecting your technique on the power lifts, and using less technical assistance work to start improving strength.

Once you have the technique down, starting strength isn’t bad, but depending on your level of development by that time going to WS4SB or something like that wouldn’t be a bad move.

Eat, read, lift.

If you want to get into powerlifting…find some powerlifters in your area and learn from them.

squat, press, and deadlift. eat alot. dont change “programs” often, if at all. eat more and more every week. don’t worry about bodyfat. train hard. don’t miss training days…ever. find someone stronger to train with and do what they say, till you are stronger then them. then find someone stronger. good luck, see you in 10 years.