Teen Curfew Laws

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
The only kids affected by this are ones with bad parents. If someone has bad parents I don’t see a problem with local government stepping in.[/quote]

Its bad parenting to let your kid be out past 10pm? Midnight? You serious?

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
The only kids affected by this are ones with bad parents. If someone has bad parents I don’t see a problem with local government stepping in.[/quote]

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

Fuck teenagers and children in general.
The fewer people I encounter on the night that they imbibe their first beer the better.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

How do you figure? You think because a couple of 17 year old kids are hanging out after 10 PM, they have bad parents?

Did you stay out after 10pm when you 17? I bet you did.[/quote]

If I did it wasn’t that often and would usually just be at someones house which the only time “out after 10” was driving back home. I don’t necessarily agree with the 17 year olds being home at 10pm but if you change the time a bit especially for weekends vs weekdays it can be more reasonable.

“Homeowners told stories of group underage drinking after dark, vandalized property, gangs of disrespectful teens on mo-peds, and parents who would rather drop their kids off to hang out with friends on the corner than have them in their own homes.” ← Bad parents regardless of time of day.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

How do you figure? You think because a couple of 17 year old kids are hanging out after 10 PM, they have bad parents?

In fact, I did. My parents were SO conservative, with my dad being a harsh disciplinarian. Not only were we (my sibs and I) not allowed out past 9:30, but we we not allowed on the phone past 10. [/quote]

It’s almost as if your father didn’t let you grow into your own person!

Shit, it’s almost as if your father didn’t let you grow at all!

:stuck_out_tongue:

I never had a curfew because my friends always did so if we hung out they would need to drop me off so they could get home in time. I had one friend who had a curfew of 6am the next morning. As long as the car was in the driveway so her mom could go to work, whatever time she got home was immaterial. This was moot of course because all the rest of us were home and couldn’t go out and the town shut down at like midnight.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

In fact, I did. My parents were SO conservative, with my dad being a harsh disciplinarian. Not only were we (my sibs and I) not allowed out past 9:30, but we we not allowed on the phone past 10. [/quote]
Sounds like my house when I was a kid, or even up to 18. I could go out past 10 on Saturdays if I’d called home first, but yeah, on weeknights, if I were to try to make a phone call my ma and pa would tell me that if I called my friend I’d likely be waking them up.
I remember even till I was 18 I had to go to bed after Johnny Carson had finished his monologue, which was about 10:45.

All of that sounds normal to me.
I didn’t really stay out past midnight much until I was about 18.
Even then, I think I usually started dozing off around 10ish because of school and work.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

“Homeowners told stories of group underage drinking after dark, vandalized property, gangs of disrespectful teens on mo-peds, and parents who would rather drop their kids off to hang out with friends on the corner than have them in their own homes.” ← Bad parents regardless of time of day.

The only kids affected by this are ones with bad parents. If someone has bad parents I don’t see a problem with local government stepping in.

[/quote]

Read what you originally wrote again above.

You’re flat ouyt wrong. Kids with good parents will also be affected. If 17 year old honor student wants to go out to see a movie past 10pm with his 17 year old girlfriend, he will be affected by this stupid law. God forbid he even stays out later and eats ice cream with her in the Dairy Queen parking lot (which is open past 10). Yeah, I think the 2 of them should get a $200 ticket. That sounds fair :confused: .

Like I said, this is practically in the next town over from me . I was there on the 4th of July and lived in the area for close to 30 years. It’s upper middle class and $500,000+ homes. There’s not a bunch of marauding teens terrorizing the neighborhood. If it were a high crime place like Camden or Paterson where adults couldn’t safely walk the streets at night, I’d probably agree. I’ve probably partied with a few of the parents lining up at city hall while they forget they used to do the same damn shit.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

That’s cool. At least your father was given the choice of whether he wanted you out past 9:30 or not. I want that same choice. If I’m fine with my 17 year old son going out to a 9:00pm movie and then getting something to eat at Burger King afterwords, I don’t want him coming home with a $200 ticket.

I’m all for them. You could tell when the school year ended here just by looking at the large increase in auto burglary reports in the paper.

[quote]cwill1973 wrote:
I’m all for them. You could tell when the school year ended here just by looking at the large increase in auto burglary reports in the paper.[/quote]

I’d argue it’s the dumbassed teens who are committing auto burglary who are not going to give two flying fucks about this law, and it’s the ‘good’ teenagers who are going to obey the law (or not obey it, but risk getting a large fine for causing no harm at all.)

Still ridiculous.

Are there stats that teenagers commit more crimes than people over the age of 18?

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

If I did it wasn’t that often and would usually just be at someones house which the only time “out after 10” was driving back home. I don’t necessarily agree with the 17 year olds being home at 10pm but if you change the time a bit especially for weekends vs weekdays it can be more reasonable.

“Homeowners told stories of group underage drinking after dark, vandalized property, gangs of disrespectful teens on mo-peds, and parents who would rather drop their kids off to hang out with friends on the corner than have them in their own homes.” ← Bad parents regardless of time of day.[/quote]

Disrespectful teens on mo-peds? What were they doing wrong? Riding their mo-peds on the sidewalk?

Honestly, I think that curfew laws are stupid. If a teen under 18 is going to commit a crime late at night, they do not care at all whether it is past curfew. In fact, those who commit crimes do not care about curfew laws at all. It is kind of like gun laws: they never affect those people they are meant to stop.

I didn’t really read any of this, but I’ve never really had a curfew…

I got used to chilling until all hours of the night roughly towards the end of middle school/beginning of high school…

Fuck a town curfew… I wouldn’t raise a family where this occurred, and if they tried to instate one where I lived… You can sure as hell bet I would suddenly become very politically active and socially conscious (at least on the local level) for my kids’ sake…

No child deserves that bullshit…

Currently 18

Litteraly Lol’d at
“What good happens after 10 p.m.?” countered Councilman Richard Conte. “Nothing. Let’s face it, that’s when the trouble starts.”

I wasnt awaire that juniors/seniors in HS typicaly even go out before 930- 10, forget being home by then.

I’ll go with nothing good ever happens after 10pm. Next I’ll go with good parents don’t let there kids wonder around aimlessly after 10pm.

[quote]Apnea Diver wrote:
Currently 18

Litteraly Lol’d at
“What good happens after 10 p.m.?” countered Councilman Richard Conte. “Nothing. Let’s face it, that’s when the trouble starts.”

I wasnt awaire that juniors/seniors in HS typicaly even go out before 930- 10, forget being home by then.[/quote]

In that same town (Saddle Brook), they had an outdoor basketball court that had the lights on untill 10. We used to ball till the lights went out, go home, shower then come back out to hang out. I think it would be a shame if a 17 year old didn’t have that type of freedom.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

“Homeowners told stories of group underage drinking after dark, vandalized property, gangs of disrespectful teens on mo-peds, and parents who would rather drop their kids off to hang out with friends on the corner than have them in their own homes.” ← Bad parents regardless of time of day.[/quote]
You clearly didn’t have much of a social life then.

When I was 17 I dated a 15 year old. Her father gave her a 10 pm curfew. It worked out great for me. I’d drop her off at 10 and then meet up with my friends who would be almost ready start going out.

I am torn on this. Minors make bad decision which is why they are so protected. My take on the curfew is that most minors really do make bad decisions (and they really do, I used to go to Tijuana, Mexico), and also some minors lie. So parent A thinks their kid is at Timmy’s(B) house, and parent B thinks their kid is at Johnny’s(A) house. Yet both miscreants are out running wild.

I dunno, but most minors make bad decisions. They also can sneak out or lie to get out and go wild. A curfew allows a law enforcement agency to check on the children. And they are children.

I get what O’Hooligan is questioning, but it seems as if he is coming from the side of parents being aware of what their minor child is doing and being in agreement with all behavior. YET, a minor cannot be held liable for lots of things. So are these parents then willing to take the responsibility for any damages that may occur for them letting their minor child run wild?