Teen Bulking Advice?

Gotcha

Hes 19 now and going into his Sophomore year of college … He never did greco just some Freestyle when he was younger. His bread and Butter was the Folkstyle he used in High School. Two years in a row he made it to Semi State but could never punch his ticket to the big dance at State.

Wow, you might have to reign him in a little even! -just keep him healthy and the sky’s the limit

See, I asked that question because your thought process is a little confused here. You consider the ability to build mass with strength a “possibility”, which means there is an alternative that only builds mass, which should build even more since gaining it would not just be a “highly possible” side effect when training for strength.

But:

You don’t think the alternative works. Which makes it ineffective for building mass. Then why would anyone do it?

Could the common internet definitions of “strength training” and “training for mass/physique” be the problem?

If this is the problem, then the internet wisdom of separating what is wrongly perceived as strength and physique training into different methods on both extreme ends of the spectrum can’t be right, can they?

1 Like

Ok I can see that my using the word ‘probably’ is causing confusion. You seem to be thinking that I’m using it in a way that is “may be but I don’t think so” whereas I’m using it as “in most of the population, however there may be exceptions”.

No, I consider the alternative there is (to a degree) the ability to build strength without building an appreciable amount of mass. Through the use off explosive, no Eccentric training. This is why oly lifts are popular amoung martial art competitors. It builds strength in movements and it trains intra and inter-muscular positive adaptions, while keeping mass and weight fairly low.

Now I’m not saying that absolutely no mass will be gained, but it wouldn’t be optimal for the majority of the lifting population that is focusing on lean mass.

People who already have an appreciable amount of strength or have trouble (injuries, mobility etc) performing compound lifts would definitely benefit from a bro split. However for the OP I believe he has gains on the table for the big lifts.

You seem to think that I only believe in absolutes or extremes with mass/strength. This is not the case at all.

These are exercises with high skill requirements. Which is outside of our topic. However, think about that and why so much improvement can be made without much mass gained. Which is why:

^This is not required for less complex movements unless there is a need to peak for a specific event.

If I was confused, it was because of that statement. What would be a “mass building” phase and why do you think a “strength phase” would be required for a normal trainee? Is this “mass building phase” what you are telling the OP to do or is it closer to your description of “training for physique”? What would be a strength phase, then?

This is because I have never seen a bro split without compounds for every muscle group. Do you actually mean it would be better to perform compounds training the same muscles multiple times a week instead of splitting up the program into different combinations of bodyparts?

Then I gotta tell you, most problems with injuries and mobility are a result of cumulative strain on the joints over the years.

What have you been feeding the pup? I still can’t regular squat 3 plates. :anguished:

Ok… OK inappropriate I know!!! But the joke was there

At the time he wasn’t on any type of special diet …
Luckily for him he had been doing sports since he was a very young kid and we didnt feel him up with garbage food. Him having a well developed work ethic didnt hurt either.

1 Like

Actually… my biggest issue is that at times I might be too conservative with him.

I have a question….OP at this point for clarification . What is the general guiding motivational factor for lifting in the first place?

I want to have a good physique with some strong lifts.

So the actual participation in football isnt high on the list correct?

I would mark it pretty high since I go to all the morning practices.

Word of advice IF Football is actually high on your priority list… you need to eat and train like a actual athlete and not be …

.And what exact position do you hope to be playing at?

Outside linebacker. I read some articles on body recompositioning where you eat maintence cals on training days and on rest days you eat 250cals below maintence. Would that possibly work for me? Or should I just steadily add on weight?

Not sure if your just Trolling or your just not listening now at this point.

1 Like