T Nation

Teen Bulking Advice?

maybe the fact that you’re 150 lbs and almost 20 percent bodyfat. maybe that’s where someone would get that from. and the fact that you said you have zero muscle definition. We’re just following the breadcrumbs, buddy, you’re the one droppin’ them.

So here’s some real, honest advice. You said you just eat when you feel like it. you don’t track macros. do you log your workouts? regardless, then answer to why you don’t look impressive is because a) you have too much fat, particularly at your size to look impressive, and b) you’re obviously not working hard enough. Looking impressive takes a lot of work. This should be intuitive, right? If it was easy, everyone would look awesome. You have to put in some SERIOUS work. Obviously some folks will have genetic gifts that you don’t have, but that doesn’t mean you can’t succeed with what you’re working with. But you clearly need to step up your game, ya know?

The simple fact is, if you’re going to look impressive, you’re going to have to be bigger. Nobody will look big at 150 lbs unless they are ripped to shreds. like in the 6%, ready to step on stage, kind of ripped. and that’s not sustainable. On top of that, put a t shirt on a guy like that and he’ll look tiny. Your best bet is to work on getting much bigger, while still maintaining the bodyfat level you currently have. At your height and bodyfat, you’re going to have to be in the 180-200 lbs range to start to really look good. Just some food for thought.

Damn, 3plate front squat is solid for any adult male and plain beastly for a teen! :punch:

3 Likes

How would I go about trying to maintain the bodyfat while trying to gain weight?

Whenever I see a high schooler squatting weights that I’m still working hard to get to, makes me shed a few tears lol.

Great stuff though man, he’ll be a beast! Does he do greco-roman?

1 Like

the first step is figuring out your baseline caloric intake, and managing meals better. If you’re eating whenever you feel like it, it’s a 100% guarantee that your intake is not consistent. So beginning to eat a relatively consistent diet is the first step towards figuring out what needs to be changed.

Everybody is different, and the way you’re going to learn how to add weight without gaining fat will largely be through trial and error. My recommendation is to get approximately 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight to start with, and eat whatever you want surrounding that. To adjust, you will want to mostly manipulate carbs and protein. If you’re gaining weight but getting fat, reduce carbs and raise protein to keep calories the same. If your weight stagnates but you’re staying lean or getting leaner, raise carbs, keep protein the same.

Also very important is to eat as ‘clean’ as possible. eat mostly whole foods, home cooked whenever possible. Don’t snack, don’t eat a bunch of sugar. avoid junk food. for people who eat a lot of junk food, or even an average amount, eliminating it completely can make a world of difference

Sounds good, how many calories do i have to eat over maintence, +500?

I’m not trying to be a jackass, I’m trying to get you to realise that these goals are going to be tough and you are going to have to put in real, hard work for a long time! Some tips.

1. Stop caring about how ‘easy’ it is for certain people to look good. You arnt them. It doesn’t help you to achieve your goals and you are probably wrong that it is easy for them in the 1st place.

2. Track macros for a week or two. At the very least, track protein and track overall calories. It’s a pain in the arse and it’s boring but you need to know what you are getting out of the regular food you eat.

3. IMO you still arnt at the stage where physique should be priority. Build strength. Build movement patterns. Build conditioning. Set specific goals in these categories such as:

• Front Squat 405 pounds
  • Sumo Deadlift 600 pounds
  • Chin up with 135lb hanging off you
  • Run 200m in 23.8 seconds
  • Farmers walk with 135lb Dumbbells 50m in 16seconds.

I’m not saying these should be your goals, I’m saying that write down some specific goals, put the somewhere you will see them every morning and do something every day to move closer to one or more of them.

1. Put your head down and do the hard work to achieve your goals. Set smaller more manageable goals to achieve your big goal. Reassess or test every couple of months to see if you are track.

2. If you are having issues with a particular goal (“oh my front squat has been stuck at 225 for 4 months. I’ve run 5/3/1 on it and eaten well but it just won’t budge”) than come to us and we will try to help out that problem.

3. Good luck buddy. Be patient and keep chipping away at this every day. If you are truly persistent than you can’t not succeed.

meh. i disagree with the first thing, agree with the rest though.

I’ve mentioned in plenty of places that strength and size (and appearance to accompany this) are obviously largely correlated for many years into a lifting career. So if physique is a priority to HIM, and it motivates HIM to lift, then that’s not really a problem to me. I just said in another thread that Arnold was my #1 inspiration, and that was without me knowing anything about his numbers or his powerlifting/ oly lifting before bodybuilding. So whatever keeps you motivated, run with it, ya know?

I do agree that how you get there is driving home the basics of compound movements, conditioning, building a strength base, etc. You won’t find a bigger advocate of compound-centric training than me, lol. Hell, I’m a strongman competitor, that’s all we do!

ryan, 500 is a good place to start once you’ve figured out maintenance, just be WILLING TO BE FLEXIBLE. If you go 500 above what you think is maintenance, and you start piling on fat, adjust immediately. If you go 500 above what you thought was maintenance and your weight stagnates for weeks on end, that’s another indication to adjust.

If you are at the stage where the OP is in terms of strength level and training age, does it change his approach if he is to focus on physique over strength?

The reason I say to focus on strength is that at this stage it (should) will enevitibly build a better physique. Now if OP already had a 500 squat and a 600 pull but wasn’t happy with his body, than saying to focus on strength is obviously not the answer.

I have had some people say I should cut down before gaining weight, thoughts?

What does the phrase “focus on physique” mean to you?

• Primarily using higher rep ranges (6-12)(12+)
  • Using more isolation exercises
  • ‘feeling’ the muscle work
  • Focus on TuT rather than focus on movement
  • Using a range of bodybuilding techniques such as drop-sets, forced reps and partials (although partials are also used a lot in strength training)
  • Chasing the pump over chasing weight

I’m sure there is more, but just anything involving thinking about the muscle over thinking about optimal move mechanics.

I have football workouts in the morning. We use 5x5 on compund lifts and with an occasional 3 rep set. Is that okay?

My thoughts are to track your protein and overall calories for a fortnight (a week if you eat fairly consistently) and evaluate. Do you have any foods on there that stand out as not helpful? Soda? Than cut those foods out or reduce them. Perhaps even replace them if you arnt meeting your protein limit.

I have no problem with this. Your coach would prob be pissed if you went to training and decided to ditch his program for one you got off a website. However you should be pushing yourself to adapt.

The human body hates to change. You have got to mentally and physically make your body change by continuously making life hard for it (within reason, you don’t want to injure yourself).

Alright thanks man I appreciate it!

What if I told you that you will probably never get a 500lb front squat without doing at least 2 of these?

This is not physique training. These are simply tools to be utilized for appropriate reasons. Not every bodybuilder does dropsets and chases the pump.

But let’s say, for argument’s sake, that these are required for building muscle.

Strength = muscle + technique(skill, inter-muscular coordination)

Don’t you think the best way to get big and strong would be to build both at the same time since there is such a large overlap?

Look up intra-muscular coordination.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more with you on this. I fully understand that you must go through mass building phases when strength training.

Yes, especially in the beginning phases of training it is very possible (probably inevitable) to build both mass and strength. I’m not saying for OP to jump on a powerlifting ‘peaking’ program and chase numbers. I’m saying he should be trying to improve and to put weight on his big compound movements, rather than using a bro split and try to pump his way to a big, aesthetic body. Although that approach prob does work as well to some degree, it’s not what I would do.

I’m well aware of motor units and improving neural pathways.

@dt79 what does ‘focus on physique’ mean to you?

Disclaimer: im not trying to come across as a know-it-all or experienced strength coach. I’m here to learn as much as anyone and I do appreciate it when people have counter arguments to my advice/feelings/thoughts or ramblings.

I’m the last person who would claim to have all the answers.

If possible at the end of your workouts grab a light dumbell and add one of:
dumbell hammer curls
tricep extension
side lateral raise
for 5x20,30secs rest. Like I said just one move A) so as not to piss off coach and B) not interfere with program

@RampantBadger yeah thanks…pretty easy getting him to that point when he has a good work ethic. Little bastard just turned 19 last week… and hes tracking to pull 550 in October in the 198 class.

1 Like