T Nation

Teen About to Start a Clean Bulk

Info:

I have been working out for 9 months, at the momment im around 16 years old, 165 pounds, with 14 bodyfat, 5"8.

Im gonna start my first clean bulk next monday, so i need help to get my diet ready, i will be eating at maintenance for 2 weeks, then add 250 calories, and keep adding to i gain around 0.5 pounds a week.

My maintenance is around 2500 calories.

Macros… around 40/40/20

Diet:

Breakfast:
2 whole eggs.
6 egg whites.
100g oatmeal.

Lunch:
150g Chicken fillet.
100g whole wheat pasta.
1 Apple.

Meal 3:
150g chicken fillet.
1 Apple.

Pre-workout:
150 chicken fillet.
1 Banana.
100g Whole wheat pasta

Post workout:
2 scoops whey gold standard.
1 Aple
100g whole wheat pasta.

Meal 6:
Salmon
200 Cottage Cheese

Totals: Cals:2,879 - Protein:256 - Fat:91 - Carbs:266

Workout program:
Chest/tricep
Back/Bicep
Legs/shoulders
Upperbody. (strength)

Aiming for 0.5 pounds a week, hoping to bulk for 6 months with minimum fat gain.

Dream: to get a body like rob riches.

Please give me some tips, on how i can get this bulk succeeds full.

1- Legs and shoulders on same day? Further describe please?

2- Are you Squatting and Deadlifting?

3- Why 3 upper body days and one lower? Do you already have strong wheels?

Vegetables???

Rob Riches

Your diet is pretty decent for someone your age. I hate the way these terms are being used though because all a “bulk” means is eating enough so that you know FOR SURE your body is getting enough calories and nutrients to grow. This usually can’t happen if you are putting an arbitrary limit on how much you gain per week instead of going by the actual progress being made.

I personally won’t try to prevent gaining more than “exactly 2lbs” if my strength is going up and I can see a positive difference.

That is pretty much my only critique. It isn’t a “bulk” if you are throwing on the breaks with a goal as minimal and easy to overshoot as “.5lbs” a week. You can lose and gain 5lbs in a day.

[quote]EctoMorphosis wrote:

3- Why 3 upper body days and one lower? Do you already have strong wheels? [/quote]

forget what it’s like to be a 16 yr old male huh :smiley:

[quote]BigUps22 wrote:
I have been working out for 9 months, at the momment im around 16 years old, 165 pounds, with 14 bodyfat, 5"8.[/quote]
Bodyfat percentages are close to useless. What do you currently look like - kinda pudgy, average/smooth, a little lean, pretty ripped?

[quote]Breakfast:
2 whole eggs.
6 egg whites.
100g oatmeal.[/quote]
Egg whites are for pre-contest bodybuilders. You’re a young guy trying to get bigger. The added fat, protein, and calories from whole eggs will be very beneficial, especially since the rest of this diet plan seems fairly low fat.

In general, the food looks solid, just don’t get too over-focused on “chicken and pasta.” If that’s what’s convenient, cool., but don’t stress out if you end up grabbing a giant roast beef sandwich for lunch. And definitely tweak the totals as you go, based on progress.

Above all else, remember to be consistent with it. Eating properly for three or four days and then slacking for a few is a common mistake that some guys fall into.

[quote]Workout program:
Chest/tricep
Back/Bicep
Legs/shoulders
Upperbody. (strength)[/quote]
More details would definitely be helpful. What days, exercises, sets, and reps are you planning? I’m especially wondering what the “upper body strength” day looks like.

What are your current bests on the basic lifts (squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press, row, pulldown/pull-up)?

Make sure your strength in increasing on most lifts each week. If your bodyweight goes up and your strength doesn’t, it’s a sign that something needs to be fixed ASAP.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]BigUps22 wrote:
I have been working out for 9 months, at the momment im around 16 years old, 165 pounds, with 14 bodyfat, 5"8.[/quote]
Bodyfat percentages are close to useless. What do you currently look like - kinda pudgy, average/smooth, a little lean, pretty ripped?

[quote]Breakfast:
2 whole eggs.
6 egg whites.
100g oatmeal.[/quote]
Egg whites are for pre-contest bodybuilders. You’re a young guy trying to get bigger. The added fat, protein, and calories from whole eggs will be very beneficial, especially since the rest of this diet plan seems fairly low fat.

In general, the food looks solid, just don’t get too over-focused on “chicken and pasta.” If that’s what’s convenient, cool., but don’t stress out if you end up grabbing a giant roast beef sandwich for lunch. And definitely tweak the totals as you go, based on progress.

Above all else, remember to be consistent with it. Eating properly for three or four days and then slacking for a few is a common mistake that some guys fall into.

[quote]Workout program:
Chest/tricep
Back/Bicep
Legs/shoulders
More details would definitely be helpful. What days, exercises, sets, and reps are you planning? I’m especially wondering what the “upper body strength” day looks like.

What are your current bests on the basic lifts (squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press, row, pulldown/pull-up)?

Make sure your strength in increasing on most lifts each week. If your bodyweight goes up and your strength doesn’t, it’s a sign that something needs to be fixed ASAP.[/quote]

Thanks, im lean/soft with lack off mass in upper chest… shoulders and traps.

My 1 Max liftes:
Bench: 187 pounds
Squat: 210 pounds
Deadlift: 220 pounds

I think i should change routine, where you focus on adding weight to the bar. But for my goals, wouldent hypertrophy routines be best.

You know any workout programs that fit my goal, to get bigger, my dream and goal is to compete in bodybuilding

S

Focus a LOT more on your lower body. It is lagging pretty severely.

You need to be strong to big. Focus on getting strong now, you’re 16 you’re going to grow a ton with the strength gains. Just trying to get big now isn’t going to work anywhere near as well.

Easy form: Eat big and lift heavy

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]BigUps22 wrote:

[quote]Breakfast:
2 whole eggs.
6 egg whites.
100g oatmeal.[/quote]

[quote]Workout program:
Chest/tricep
Back/Bicep
Legs/shoulders

Make sure your strength in increasing on most lifts each week. If your bodyweight goes up and your strength doesn’t, it’s a sign that something needs to be fixed ASAP.[/quote]

I agree with everything here, especially beeing consistent. Theres plenty of splits that will work fine for you (here: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/do_this_routine_instead_of_that_dumb_one ) as long as youre consistent with your training and eating (not missing meals.) At your age with only nine months training you can make some serious gains in a realtively short time. 3 years of beeing consistent and youll see a major change. You’re on the right track, good luck.

Hey i’m 16 as well. my advice to you, if you REALLY want to get big, is to forget about your weight. It’s gonna take longer than 6 months to get a body like that. My diet plan? eat, eat, and eat some more. im not fat and im one of the strongest kids in my school. we don’t really need a fancy diet to stay in shape because we’re still young and have faster metabolisms and are more usually more active in general. also definitely work on your legs a lot more and quit putting so much focus on upper body.

You can achieve your dream figure with proper diet, exercise and sleep.

[quote]bhssophomore wrote:
Hey i’m 16 as well. my advice to you, if you REALLY want to get big, is to forget about your weight. It’s gonna take longer than 6 months to get a body like that. My diet plan? eat, eat, and eat some more. im not fat and im one of the strongest kids in my school. we don’t really need a fancy diet to stay in shape because we’re still young and have faster metabolisms and are more usually more active in general. also definitely work on your legs a lot more and quit putting so much focus on upper body.[/quote]

The truth is, the majority of the really muscular guys who have walked the Earth for the last few decades did ^this as teenagers. You are growing fast enough for growth spurts…yet I see some of you limiting growth to “exactly .5lbs of gain a week”.

Really? In people who can go up a whole shoe size in a matter of months?

LOL

The limits people are placing seem to be doing way more harm than good if the goal is taking your own body to the extreme in terms of development.

If you want to take the advice of people complaining about lack of lower body I would do the following.

3 day split push/legs/pull

• Chest/tricep/shoulders
  • Legs (everything but calves)
  • Back/biceps/calves

The first lift of each go for strength and base your progress on weight/reps each week. Everything else go for hypertrophy but you’ll get stronger there too obviously.