TED Talks : Enough With The Fear Of Being Fat

Oh, man. I don’t know. It’s not a statement about fat chicks. I wouldn’t sleep with any woman for $5000. Not that there’s anything wrong with being attracted to women, Chris.

Nurses aside, I’ve come to realize why in nearly all cases why people are obese, plain and simple: they don’t give a shit! If they did give a shit, they would have stopped doing what they are doing at the first sign they were gaining fat! And actually, call it bragging if one wishes to, I’ve grown increasingly unempathetic after my contest prep to people who claim how hard it is to lose weight. I lost 36 damn pounds from a non-over-fat condition and went to a painful low of 171 pounds! We’re talking insomnia-ridden nights with 3 to 4 hours of sleep on work nights, morning cardio, training sessions at night, with a full time job, and feeling somewhat delirious and disaffected much of the time! Why? Because I wanted it that bad, and the result of such suffering was worth it to me!

A fat person can lose weight without even exercising and just eating less! That doesn’t require suffering at all considering their current, ongoing habit of constant overeating!

Again, they don’t give a shit. If they did care, they wouldn’t be overweight. And I’m not referring to those with endocrine disorders such as diabetes or hypothyroidism, hypogonadism, and so on.

2 Likes

exactly! Let’s get this thread back on track.

And I meant £5000, not doll hairs

1 Like

That’s very prejudicial of you. What if someone of this disadvantaged description wanted to sleep with you?

I just left the doctors office and a very overweight nurse weighed me. “hmmm… ok… looks like you’re up there, let me move it… 225lbs!” It took all restraint not to tell her she’s never seen below 300lbs.

I doubt she’ll do it for Monopoly money.

1 Like

Wait! Who’s paying who?

Wait, whuttttttt////?

I thought I was getting paid for this ordeal?

Edit: [quote=“Yogi1, post:9, topic:223777”]
what is the minimum amount of money you’d need to be paid to have sex with her?
[/quote]

I read the words Powerpuff, chick, sex, and paid… :drevil:

1 Like

There is no woman I would pay $5,000 to sleep with.

However, just being honest, when I was in college… If woman in OP smelled pretty and was nice. I could totally see myself taking that on. I’d have to stay shit house drunk to finish though. If I started sobering up I’d have to fake it.

Alright, I re-watched a bit of the video…

I’m not sure I could do it. She might be too big for me, and I’m not a sizest when it comes to spreading the love.

Those shoes are fucking awful and totally ruin it to be honest.

1 Like

Dammit, you guys!! No, I would not pay HER to sleep with ME!! Doesn’t matter which monetary system we’re using here, Yogi.

If I was held at gunpoint, I might go with that Kroc chick. I can’t put my finger on it, but there’s something about her that is kinda hot.

Before Yogi and dchris, and usmccds got dyslexia, the hypothetical situation involved HER paying YOU Beans.

I often think that. Would bang, but shoes are too ugly. Laughing as I typed that. And thinking it’s something Orion would say.

1 Like

I don’t have any personal experience with it, Brick and I know you see this stuff everyday, but I think it’s more complicated. I mean, if it were that simple, everyone would do it. So many people are miserable about their weight, they think about it everyday, but they can’t seem to DO IT.

I get where you’re coming from in that people make choices everyday. I think there’s truth in that someone has to really WANT it, and finally have some kind of epiphany. Even then, so many people slip. I really have empathy for that, because I fail at things myself all the time.

Yes. It’s an extreme process, to get an extreme result. A very small percentage of people in the world want to do that. I’m not one of them, for a lot of reasons. Leaning out like that effects other parts of my life, and for me, makes me LESS attractive to my hubs. I think men are less likely to get that from their wives. BUT it was very fun to see you do it, and see how much fun you had. You don’t have kids yet, and are in a different place in your life, and had this great support system of friends. Nice that you had such a blast with it. There’s always a sense of accomplishment from doing something really hard. We value those things most.

@SkyzykS - You have written some really thoughtful things in this thread. And it comes from personal experience that I can’t begin to understand so thanks. I love someone who has an addiction. I’m sure that’s a common experience for most of us. I read some of your posts a couple of times and have kept thinking about them. I always like talking to you.

@EyeDentist - I think you know I really like you, and I apologize if I’ve sometimes been a jerk. My humor/ teasing sometimes doesn’t translate to print very well and I honestly wince a little bit sometimes when I think about how my words may sound. smh, and a while back, varq used to give some really intelligent arguments from the left, and they’ve left a bit of a void in PWI. I probably shouldn’t spend the time, but I got sucked into it more after the election. Anyway, you’d be good at keeping it from being an echo chamber in there, if you ever have the time.

1 Like

‘Sometimes’?

:stuck_out_tongue:

!!! Thanks!

It can’t happen without everyone else though. In fact, I’m often astounded with the calibre of people I find myself engaged in conversations with. Without the type of exchange that all of you guys (that includes you) and especially @EyeDentist create, I’d just stick to fart and booger jokes. :poop:

I’m glad if I can offer some insights into an all too human condition. Even that is only because I’ve been the beneficiary of the insights and wisdom of some great people.

2 Likes

I’m amazed at how civil the disagreements are on here as opposed to political discussions on social media.

2 Likes

I believe it is simple. They don’t want to lose the weight badly enough or are they are not scared enough of the ill effects of being obese. If they were to have a healthy fear, they would simply eat less or be aware of the ill effects on a consistent basis.

Why do I constantly watch what I eat, even while indulging here and there? Because my repugnance to becoming fat is so strong that it overrides an inclination for overeating, even when the urge is triggered by the addictive quality of modern-day junk foods or food combinations. And let’s get this clear, I do not have a repugnance for fat people at all considering some of my loved ones and friends are or have been overweight or obese or yo-yo’ed with weight. I have a repugnance for becoming fat myself.

Fear is a big motivator! I see 30-plus year old men all around me getting fat and eating discriminately and not giving the slightest shit about how they look. If they don’t mind that, then good for them. I am not bragging here about my will-power. All I am doing is using myself as an example of someone who gives a shit as do several people in my fat-phobic family. Is it good to be phobic of anything? I’m not sure, but it has kept some of us from becoming obese and keeping a healthy “full mechanism” intact.

Just as an aside, I’ve rarely heard my mom use the word fat without over enunciating it. Picture the T in the word strongly, as in “fattt!” She would and does often show her disdain of fatness in this world, and being bilingual in Spanish and English, often expresses such disdain in Spanish or in Spanglish for a more expressive effect I believe. Admittedly this might have screwed me up a bit.

I’m not sure it takes an epiphany. Perhaps this sounds block-headed but I don’t see it taking much to have a cup of rice instead of half a plate’s worth, which is what I see my female co-workers do often. Enormous portions of starches, oils all over the place, junk items, bagged snacks all sprawled out everywhere in offices, and just eating in an indiscriminate manner. If they really had an interest in weight control, they would have the knowledge on it, just as they miraculously acquired the knowledge for other things or got what they wanted in other areas of life. They managed to get degrees in nursing, physical therapy, medicine, administration, dietetics, and so on. I’d say that’s a bit harder and sacrificial than cutting down on one’s eating.

Thanks. However, I was simply pointing out that I was willing to put up with horrible effects because I wanted to finally be a damn bodybuilder once and for all. That’s far more difficult than simply cutting down on one’s gross food portions, which requires no suffering or sacrifice or pain! Well, perhaps not satisfying a craving is painful in some cases, but it is no contest prep in which one is on the verge of being reckless with his or her well-being. For the shape I got into, I did border on recklessness. My support system was great considering it consists of experienced bodybuilders. Competitive bodybuilding is a nutty pastime and when my wife becomes pregnant, it’s over! For now I am training as if I will do another show in the future. But when that kid is conceived in the womb, it’s done! I will continue to train as a bodybuilder but will hold off competing at a feasible time in the future, even if I have to wait a few years to be on a stage again. As you can see, that’s nothing like stopping overeating starting at one’s next meal!

4 Likes

Man all I can say is, @BrickHead is dropping truth bombs left and right.

1 Like

Literally how can someone fat say that they are healthy?

It’s pretty much a given that she has sleep apnea, which is likely untreated. Sleep apnea when untreated causes “high blood pressure, heart failure, irregular heart beat, heart attacks, diabetes, stroke, depression, and headaches” according to a quick google search, aside from the obvious ones such as sleep deprivation.

Sleep Apnea is just the tip of the iceberg. Type 2 diabetes, fatty liver, hypertension, permanent joint damage, pain, nerve pain, cancer, etc are just a few things off of the top of my head that are caused by, or become more likely because of being overweight.

2 Likes