T Nation

Techniques to Develope Chest

I am trying to find out whether training heavy, rather then training with proper form, will get me the gains I am looking for. I’ve been told 5x5’s will get me what I want, also I’ve heard dropping the weight and making sure I get the right squeeze will be more beneficial. Also if you have any advice on which exercises I should put more effort into would be awesome.

More info.

What are you doing for chest now?

What else do you do chest day, if anything?

What do you do for shoulders?

When do you do shoulders in relation to chest?

When you bench press where do you feel it? Where do you feel it the next day or two?

Do you use dumbells to bench press?

What equipment do you have access to?

I could list aobut 10 more questions but I think you get the picture. The more info the better

[quote]jaimejarvis24 wrote:
I am trying to find out whether training heavy, rather then training with proper form, will get me the gains I am looking for.[/quote]

Why not train heavy with good form?

i have asked myself that question a million times and i know this is kind of a sucky answer but it is an answer to my own question and maybe yours…go with trial and error everybody is different. if something isn’t giving you the desired results after about 3-4 months try another method.i have come to find that my chest gets the best development as far as aesthetically by doing high rep (12-15 per set at 3 sets not counting warm up)flys at different angles using cables or dumbbells and using dumbbells presses at different angles with high rep. Bench pressing got me some good upper body size and strength but after getting to about 3 plates on each side and still not liking the way my chest actually looked i decided to take another route.

how much do you weigh and how tall are you?

are we talking relatively big guy with under developed chest? or are we talkin under-developed guy with no chest?

if you are big and strong with an underdeveloped chest, you might have overpowering shoulders and tris that take over compound movements. if you are small and have no chest, well, what do you expect?