Technique Thread

Damnit Chris you beat me too it! haha

Figured this was worth a bump now that the in-house Video Library of Exercises seems to be up and running. Eight pages of Christian Thibaudeau giving instructions for a ton of basic and advanced lifts.

http://www.T-Nation.com/strength-training-series/exercise-videos

Someone should start a thread like this in the bodybuilding forum. I think it would be useful, and most of the videos in this thread represent form that isn’t oriented toward bodybuilding at all.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Someone should start a thread like this in the bodybuilding forum. I think it would be useful[/quote]
Have at it. Though, I’m not sure if it’s as necessary in a forum where most guys already have a handle on solid technique. This is in Beginners for a reason.

I do remember the Bodybuilding forum having a few “Top 3 Exercises Per bodypart”-type threads that had some good info. I think something like that is a better use for a forum where most guys have more experience.

To some extent, a deadlift is a deadlift and a bench press is a bench press, but I can definitely see what you’re saying, in the sense that some of the videos/articles are from a powerlifting perspective.

But there’s still plenty a beginner can learn about safe technique and general ideas from those articles and videos that doesn’t require “unlearning” if they decide to have bodybuilding goals. As with anything though, different exercises will obviously require slightly different advice.

In any case, to give a legit video strictly for bodybuilding… alternating dumbbell curls:

I’ve seen some guys get very “creative” with the amount of upper body oomph they use on these. I’d say the vid above is a great combination of strict form and being “loose” with the upper body to account for the weight. The biceps are being fully stressed and momentum isn’t what’s moving the weight.

I hope it’s OK that I post a question in this thread, as it’s relevant and I didn’t want to waste any space on a new thread that has a yes/no answer.

At my gym, the only squatting equipment they have is a smith machine. (I squat 3x a week at home and 1x a week at the gym, where I can use more than the 100 lbs in my home rack). Many a thick-chested men have come up to me and told me to put my feet forward while using the machine to ‘save my back and knees’. However, I want to emulate a realistic squat as much as possible so I don’t end up with a big shock when I can finally go to a gym that just has a basic, free-weight squat rack, so I place my feet as if I’m doing a normal squat, while using the smith machine. Is this OK?

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Someone should start a thread like this in the bodybuilding forum. I think it would be useful, and most of the videos in this thread represent form that isn’t oriented toward bodybuilding at all.[/quote]
You bring this point up a lot and I understand where you’re coming from. My main purpose for this thread was just for everyone to share their experience and knowledge, but the majority of resources provided so far have been more on the power lifting side of things and some may take it that “this is the only way to squat”.

The key points to take away are to be able to have enough mobility and body awareness to reach a desired squat depth without compromising the position of the lower back and knees and by squatting between the legs and not behind them.

Please share your knowledge on the different stances and shin angles or whatever else you feel necessary to hit specific muscle groups to improve aesthetics, I’m sure you have plenty to share.

Good info

This is actually almost exactly like an old Vince Gironda exercise. It’s a pulldown/row concentric with a kind of pullover/straight-arm pulldown eccentric.

I often use a straight bar, instead of two handles, and really exaggerate the negative to fry the lats.

I’ve been looking all over for a good lunge demo, and this is pretty good. The key to remember with lunges is that it’s an up and down motion, not forwards and backwards. Watch his front leg as soon as the foot hits the ground. Up and down, like a squat, not gliding forward which would limit ROM, increase knee stress, and decrease muscular work.

The video shows alternating legs each rep, but I generally do all reps with one leg, then switch sides. That’ll lead to an increased work load since the muscles won’t get a mini-rest from alternating.

http://www.drmelsiff.com/10289/dr-mel-siff-compares-the-clean-pull-vs-deadlift/

cool thread :slight_smile:

The blog you’ve all been waiting for! Or at least I have!

Pullovers. Because really, why not. :wink: