Technique/Speed

Hello Coach,

I have been following the 7x3-5 set rep scheme Charles Poliquin recently published on bodybuilding.com. As outlined, I started with a 7x3-5 volume phase and had a good progress. Once I could do 5 reps in all sets, I did an intensification phase in which I increased the weight and dropped the sets to 5, as written in the article. I progressed until 5x4, but this week I crashed and couldn’t progress at all. I have been pushing very hard lately, and think I may have burned out. I want to do 5-4-3-2-1 after that, so do you think I should push until I can do 5x5, or should I stop there since my progress has stopped and I feel burned.

Also, I want to incorporate a back off period before I move on to 5-4-3-2-1 in which I want to reinforce good technique and also work on speed. Is it a good idea and if so, how long should I do it? Can you recommend a good routine? Thank you for your time.

[quote=“erenasena, post:1, topic:213831”]
I have been pushing very hard lately, and think I may have burned out. I want to do 5-4-3-2-1 after that, so do you think I should push until I can do 5x5, or should I stop there since my progress has stopped and I feel burned. [/quote]

Lack of progress is not a reason to stop a program because strength gains are not linear. BUT feelin burned out IS a reason to stop a program.

Feeling burned out is never a good sign and it wont get better if you keep pushing. You can et used to the feeling of bein burned out which can make you believe that you are getting better, but thrust me that is a very bad path to follow.

It is a great idea. Do it until you feel fully recharged. At least a week, probably two.

Thank you very much for your answer!