T Nation

Tears, Sweat, and Blood on the Brain

Thanks Furo! I’ve got really vague weight loss/general fitness goals at the moment. I think I’ll feel a lot better about my own health (history of heart problems in the family and I can have quite high blood pressure) and appearance if I get consistently below 100kg. So that’s one short term goal which I’m probably on the verge of reaching - just need regular access to scales. Beyond that I’ll probably creep down closer to 90kg, because at 100kg I’ll still be tubby. I haven’t looked good with my shirt off in about 5 years, and that’s something I fancy having again. Doesn’t mean getting ripped, I did that when I was 16 and found it hard to maintain.

I want to compete in powerlifting again some day, but I’m taking as long away from it as I need to. The next meet near me is in October so I won’t be signed off by the doc in time, so I’m planning on taking advantage of the forced hiatus to focus on the other goals and end up in a good position to come back when the time is right. Might even end up going down a weight class to the 90s (BDFPA) or 93s (BPF).

The only fitness goal I have in mind at the moment is to get a km done in 3:40 to match my best pace ever at the 1500m. That would be big because I’d be doing it 40-50lbs heavier than I last did. Best pace so far is just over 4 minutes so I’ve gotten a lot closer than I expected to in the relatively short time I’ve been running. Beyond that a sub 20 minute 5k and a sub 50 10k are some longer term things I’d like to achieve with the running.
No major resistance training goals - get better at a few bodyweight movements (dropping weight goes hand in hand with this), and use the weights to work towards the looking sexy goal.

I’m a harvest labourer on the farm, so once the cutting is properly underway I’ll spend most of the days sat in the tractor doing shuttles hauling grain from combine harvester to the barn. Until then I’m clearing out the barns and sheds so it’s a load of sweeping and shovelling and moving machinery around. Pretty sure I saw shovelling in a CrossFit workout once.

Run - squeezed into lunch break
4.03km - 19:09 - 4:45/km - all km 5 or under, last km was at 4:12 pace - good.

After work
KB unbalanced farmers walks
40/24kg x 4 x 40m - swap hands each set

Yeah I’m really with you on that, I have the same vague health/weight related goals. I’m not interested in being ripped but I think I need to get into the low 90s for health/not looking shit. I always find it hard to get motivated for those goals though, they aren’t nearly as appealing as performance goals in my opinion.

I’m glad it’s still your intention to compete, because you’d put so much work into it and you clearly have a tonne of potential. A big advantage of yours is your age and so even if you take a long time off you’ll still be coming back while you’re very young. There is no sense rushing into anything, and even if you take a couple of years off before getting back into the heavy stuff you’ll still be younger than when most people start. What exactly did your doctor say about powerlifting longterm?

That’s a cool goal man, and it sounds like you’re already close to achieving it. I like the bodyweight ideas. Do you find that bodyweight/kettlebell movements spike your intra-abdominal pressure at all? Do you have to really focus on avoiding that? It might be an idea to set yourself specific performance goals, like total pull-ups/total push-ups/kettlebell swings for time. I know it seems lame compared to setting a heavy max goal, but it definitely works for keeping focussed and getting stuff done. Regardless of how uninteresting it seems. But you don’t need me giving you advice lol, you know what you’re doing.

The secret is to be medically ruled out from the performance goals you really want to be doing :stuck_out_tongue:

I was told by the reg who discharged me to basically take it easy for a month, when I rang the consultant later (perks of being a student in the hospital) and explained the type of stuff I did he said to wait until the neurology team from Plymouth saw me (I was in Truro and noone there was confident enough to take over my case so I’ll have to head up to Plymouth in November).

It’s difficult to say how big an effect abdominal bracing is going to have - it’s a venous abnormality so any BP spike is going to be much lower than it would be in the arteries, but the fact that it initially blew while on leg press makes me pretty hesitant. I’m not actively avoiding bracing, and obviously moves like pullups and pressups involve the core quite a lot. I’m making sure I’m not holding my breath for extended periods of time, and * touch wood * if I have any sort of pain I’ll cut it there. At the initial onset I had some dizziness and light pain, and when I tried going back to the gym two days later it came on much less severely so I do have some sort of early warning system.

Dog needed a bit more of a walk when I got home so I took the kettlebell out in a backpack.

Ruck march
24kg x about 700m

KB OHP
24kg x 6,7,8,9,10/arm
Ss/ Suitcase walk
24kg x 10 x 100m - did the walks on the arm that I’d just used for OHP

Ruck march
24kg x about 400m

KB upright row
24kg x 5 x 15
Ss/ Lying leg raises
5 x 20 - first direct ab work in probably about a year.

Chins
5 x 3
Ss/ Box jumps
5 x 3 - variety of starting positions - a very short and quick dip, from a deep paused squat, from the knees to my feet then up, etc

Run
1km - 4:07 - 4:07/km

Sprints
200m total of high knees, heel kicks, sidesteps, crossovers, and bounding
100m @ 80%
100m @ 90%
200m @ 80%
200m @ 90%
200m @ 80%
100m @ 90%
100m @ 80%

Run
1km - 3:49 - 3:49/km - CRACKED 4 MINUTES! Had to step off the track twice to let cars through so might’ve hit my 3:40 goal if not for that but I was only aiming to break the 4 minute barrier today so I’m happy. Away next weekend so probably will end up taking a break from the fast paced runs for a week, and aim for a good consistent sub 5 pace on the lower intensity longer distance runs throughout the week - will give a 5k a crack if I have a long enough lunch break.

Have been knackered the past 2 days, didn’t get the motivation to do anything until quite late this evening. Kept it simple, did a 10 by 10 on pushups but kept them very controlled and through a full range of motion.

Lunch break
Run
3.5km - 16:29 - 4:43/km - maybe a bit longer distance because GPS trackign struggled with a lot of corners I took early on.

After work
Run
5.35km - 24.59 - 4:40/km - first 5k in a long time if not ever, happy with this pace and will aim to get it below 4:30 soon.

Goods day’s running, made up for a lazy couple of days.

Finally gpt some scales in the house. Bodyweight is down to 99.6kg. Guessed my weight at the start of this log at around 107, very early July it was 103.5kg. Kinda fast loss but I’m pretty sure I overestimated my starting weight.
Few new pictures.

Great job with the weight loss! I imagine you’ll actually end up very closer to 90kg than 100kg, I think you’ll definitely be able to drop a full weight class.

Thanks! Little bit unnerving to think about myself weighing less than 200lbs, but that’s exactly where I’ll need to end up to be anywhere near my physique goals. Still got 3 months before I’ll be cleared for any heavy lifting so I’ll have plenty of time to take it slow and steady and get my weight down without feeling like I need to be feeding my lifting. When I’m back at uni I’ll probably get the movements back in frequent rotation but pretty much just as dynamic lifts, then a bunch of bodybuilding work. Had a look at BDFPA competitions and I wo’t be able to do any anytime soon, the next two are before I get cleared and then there’s not another SW comp until after nationals in February. I’ll have a look at BPF comps, but it looks like I’ll have a good long run into my next competition to get down to a new weight and get comfortable there.

Today I was still feeling quite tired, quite a lot of physical labour over the past week.

Neutral chins
Ss/ Pushups
5 x 20

Gonna have the weekend off, heading to a festival. There will be boogying.

Ring Chins
Ss/ KB OHP
24kg x 6,7,8,9,10,9,8,7,6

Feet up pressups
5 x 20
Ss/ Swings
40kg x 5 x 10

Swings
24kg x 3 x 20
Ss/ OH triceps
24kg x 3 x 15
Ss/ Hammer curls
24kg x 3 x 15
Ss/ Pullaparts
3 x 40

Also a 12 hour shift and a good hour wrestling with cattle.

Run
3.6km - 16:29 - 4:34/km

Another long day, was half 9 by the time I got out. Not the best pace for a middle distance but I was running in the dark as well as being knackered.

Yesterday
Chins
5 x 3
Ss/ Box Jumps
5 x 2

Chins
5 x 3
Ss/ Broad Jumps
5 x 2

Today
Pressups

Squeezing workouts in where I have the time but I’m not getting going until I’ve already been awake 15 hours and I’m finding it hard to find the energy.

Run
1.15km - 5:20 - 4:31/km

Sprints
200m @70%
200m @80%
200m @90%
200m @80%
200m @70%

Run
1km - 4:21 - 4:21/km

Lethargic running today

Morning BW 97.5kg

Did a bit of a shoulder day.

Band warmups

KB push press
24kg x 3/arm
40kg x 3 x 2/arm

KB snatch
24kg x 4 x 10/arm

KB OHP
24kg x 5 x 8

Upright row
24kg x 20
40kg x 4 x 10
Last set drop set to
24kg x 20
Ss/ Pullaparts
5 x 40

Lunchtime
Run
4.66km - 20:51 - 4:27/km

Post work
Pullups
5 x 3

Chins
5 x 3

Good job with the weight loss, looks like things are going well :slight_smile:

Thanks, I’ve been struggling to keep the weight from coming off too fast with the physical stuff at work, but the past couple of weeks there’s been a lot more sitting in tractors as opposed to time on my feet so it’s coming back under control - I dropped as low as 96.6 midday weight at one point but that’s probably a bit of dehydration from sitting in a greenhouse on wheels all morning :slight_smile:

Pulled an erector moving some sacks a couple of days ago and been trying to lay off the heavy labour and keep mobile. At first I couldn’t even support my own weight whilst leaning forwards - had to walk my hands up my legs to stand back upright! It’s coming back around though, been doing some light mobility stuff for it. Will give swings and OHPs a couple more days though.

Pressups
5 x 30 - these were ok. Will do a max rep test soon just out of curiosity.

Ring chins
5 x 3
Ss/ Box jumps
5 x 2
Ss/ Pullaparts
5 x 50

Ring chins
5 x 3
Ss/ Broad jumps
5 x 2 - best distance 90", I chicken out and get my feet down quite early
Ss/ Pullaparts
5 x 50

Didn’t want to do any loading on my back still and took thepullups slowly so as not to jerk but felt quite good.

Run
4k - 19:30 - 4:53/km

My back is driving me crazy right now. Constant dull ache no matter what I do, halfway up my spine on the left hand side. Not triggered by loading the shoulders so I’m still thinking it’s an erector as opposed to a middle back issue, but it doesn’t get touched by stretching or SMR. Ended up trying some codeine last night and that knocked me out and left me feeling shitty all day today - took about 4 hours longer than I wanted to to get out and running and then my paces were dire.