T Nation

Tear Me To Shreds

Looking for feedback on my diet and training. Been lifting seriously for about 8 months now. Goal is getting strong as hell, not too worried about size. I figure I'll get bigger no matter what, so might as well focus on moving more iron.

Height: 6'0
Weight: 183
LBM: No idea, but I'd put my BF% from 15-20.

Bench: 205X2
Front Squat: 245X4
Deadlift: 365X1

I'm doing 5/3/1 with a de-load every 6 weeks as opposed to three, I'm starting my 4th cycle and loving it. Here's the lifts.

Snatch, warm-ups, building up to a pretty 140 or an ugly 145.
Front Squat: 185X5, 205X5, 225X6
Chin-ups: 4X6 w/ 10 lbs extra weight.
RDL: 205X5, 215X5, 225X5, 235X5

Powerclean, have worked up to 195X2.
Bench: 150X5, 170X5, 190X5
Kroc Rows: 85X10, 90X10, 95X10.

Military Press: 95X5, 105X5, 115X5, 130X5
Tricep Pulls-Downs: 90X6, 110X6, 130X6
Pull-Ups: 4X6 unweighted.

I don't always go hard on Military Press, as my right shoulder can really start to hurt. I've also stopped doing dips due to shoulder pain. I do rotator cuff exercises with an elastic band, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Deadlift: 275X5, 305X5, 345X5. Mixed grip on the last two sets.
Seated calf raises: 245X20 for 3 sets.
Seated Leg Curls: 90X6, 110X6, 130X6.

I'm doing a carb back-loading right now and I'm really liking it. Pre work out I've only had fruit or legumes for carbs, and it makes me feel very light as opposed to eating oatmeal in the mornings. Trying for ~3500 kCal/day, 200g of protein, 120g fat, 350g carbs. I'm a senior in college, so I don't eat the same thing every day since my dining hall serves different foods, but here's a sample day.

Breakfast: 4 fried eggs, 1 apple w/ 4 tbsp natural peanut butter.
40g protein, 56 g fat, 19 grams of sugar. If I'm hungry, I take advantage of that and eat more eggs. I'm not much of a breakfast person.

Lunch: Varies every day, but usually whatever meat is out (salmon, hamburger patties, chicken breast) and a mountain of salad. When there's salmon I try to get about 12 oz, so I reckon it breaks down to:

50g fat, 76 g protein, minimal carbs (<15)

Lift around 3.

PWO Shake: 2 scoops GROW (40g protein,) 100g dextrose, 5 g creatine.

I always take about 8 minutes to stretch PWO, and lie down for about 30 minutes.

Dinner: MAD carbs. Mashed potato in any form, pasta, quinoa, barley (again, it changes every day). In addition, more meat and 2 cups raw broccoli or spinach.

250g carbs, 60-80g protein, <25 g fat.

I'll eat another apple w/ peanut butter or a PB&J if I don't feel I've eaten enough that day.

Notes: I play volleyball for 2 hours on Monday and Friday, and it's one of the main causes of my shoulder weakness (been playing 10 years.) I try to keep drinking minimal but I am in college. I don't have more than 2 drinks on any night after I've lifted, but on Fridays I tend to have around 4-5.

I've been gaining around 1 pound per week and getting stronger, so I feel like I'm not messing up too badly. I'm just sure there's something else I could be doing, so let me have it. If you've read all this, thank you for your time and advice. I look forward to your critiques, and let me know if you need any more information in order to tell me how to be a better lifter.

Looks like you are on your way. I'd watch out with the snatches if pressing hurts your shoulders.

The the important thing is you are doing 5-3-1 with the core lifts, progressing, and eating, so you are doing very well.

why are you doing consecutive upper body workouts instead of lower/upper/lower/upper?

last set of Kroc rows should be 20-40 reps (AMAP) as prescribed by Wendler in 5/3/1

I thought that I was, given that my main lifts are staggered. Squat, then bench, then DL, then MP. Are you referring to my assistance work? I just prefer an all-body workout as opposed to just lower or upper body since it allows me to be more functional the next day.

Thank you to everyone who's commented. I'll definitely up the reps on Kroc rows for the last set.

In your OP, you have MP before DL...so squat, bench, MP, DL. Was this just a typo?