Teaching vs. Brainwashing in College

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
There are women’s teams for just about every sport that men play, (yes, even rugby…check out the pic in my profile) so why don’t you guys play field hockey?[/quote]

Because we don’t like the skimpy skirts.

It used to be that people had learned to think for themselves before going on to college…

Sigh, that was back in the good old days, when I had to walk uphill both to school and back, through six feet of snow, once it was actually ploughed.

im a college teacher

i told my students if they ever said something was “the answer” because I(the professor)said so, that i would want to punch them in the face.

[quote]vroom wrote:
It used to be that people had learned to think for themselves before going on to college…

Sigh, that was back in the good old days, when I had to walk uphill both to school and back, through six feet of snow, once it was actually ploughed.[/quote]

I think for myself vroom. I like Mister Spock. I put salt on ice cream. I even liked the Life Aquatic movie when everyone hated it.
Its, in fact, my favorite movie too. If you wanted to know.
But Ive never ploughed snow. Nor have I walked like anywhere, I always have had an automobile.
Is that even how you spell ploughed? Or was it plowed? Im sure kenny could tell us

man, my posts lately make me sound like such an asshole…I’m really nice in real life, and I look like a pansy so people tend to pick on me.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
. I think your sister just needs a good bukakiing.

DB[/quote]

Ah dollarbill, you never seem to amaze me with your subtle (but oh so effective!) solutions to life’s problems.

Thank you.

Box.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
man, my posts lately make me sound like such an asshole…I’m really nice in real life, and I look like a pansy so people tend to pick on me.[/quote]

What a pansy.

If women were the equals of men (athletically, physically), we wouldn’t have gender segregated sports. That’s all there is to it.

OOO! OOO! OOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Waves hand back and forth and hops up and down

I want to chime in! PICK ME! Pick meeee!

In two of my law enforcement classes, and one of my corrections classes, they told me something! They told me that A woman will kill you quicker then a man will, and feel less guilty about it! One of the senior agents at the agency I work for said the EXACT same thing!
Not that it really matters, I just thought I would throw it out there.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
OOO! OOO! OOOOOOOOOOOOO!

In two of my law enforcement classes, and one of my corrections classes, they told me something! They told me that A woman will kill you quicker then a man will, and feel less guilty about it! One of the senior agents at the agency I work for said the EXACT same thing!
Not that it really matters, I just thought I would throw it out there.[/quote]

That’s an…umm…useful talent I guess.

[quote]S-Lifter wrote:
smallmike wrote:

The fault is not with “brainwashing” by the teacher, but with the poor argument analysis skills of the sister.

And the sister’s desire to get a good grade by pleasing a rather piss poor professor.

[/quote]

Fuck. I get good grades by writing some outrageous shit and backing it with good research and arguments. Conservative ex-Jarhead in a liberal professors class = fun for all involved.

DD

PS: I think the problem is too many people go to college to reinforce what they “already know” rather than to challenge it.

DD

[quote]Devil0351Dog wrote:
PS: I think the problem is too many people go to college to reinforce what they “already know” rather than to challenge it.

DD[/quote]

Are you at college to reinforce your beleifs, or open to knew ideas? You seem like you are in disagreeance with your professer…

[quote]Devil0351Dog wrote:
Fuck. I get good grades by writing some outrageous shit and backing it with good research and arguments. Conservative ex-Jarhead in a liberal professors class = fun for all involved.

DD[/quote]

Most profs I had would give a better grade to those who would effectively argue against their positions than those who merely rehashed the profs opinion. Whether I agreed with my profs or not I always found ways to pick apart their arguements and I was rewarded for it. This is how it should be. People need to learn to argue from a variety of perspectives, including those other than their own.

As for the original post it sounds like she should consider Wesleyan.

And why do you have a picture of a vagina in you avatar hockeychamp?

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
Devil0351Dog wrote:

DD

Are you at college to reinforce your beleifs, or open to knew ideas? You seem like you are in disagreeance with your professer…[/quote]

I’m very open to new ideas, but I tend to be very vocal in my beliefs when I see fit. Sometimes I’m merely playing devils advocate to try to get a good discussion going. I love it when people disagree with me. I always learn more that way. I feel that silence in the classroom is a shitty way to learn. Luckily I’m at a small community college so this works quite well.

DD

[quote]etaco wrote:
Devil0351Dog wrote:

DD

Most profs I had would give a better grade to those who would effectively argue against their positions than those who merely rehashed the profs opinion. Whether I agreed with my profs or not I always found ways to pick apart their arguements and I was rewarded for it. This is how it should be. People need to learn to argue from a variety of perspectives, including those other than their own.

As for the original post it sounds like she should consider Wesleyan.

And why do you have a picture of a vagina in you avatar hockeychamp?[/quote]

Yeah, one time I wrote on a history exam that Mohamed the Prophet “fucked up royally” by not laying out specific criteria for how his successor should be chosen because this has led to sectarian violence and instability in the Middle East which has led, in some ways, to terrorism. I think it was a Spike induced thought process…
DD

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
slimjim wrote:
man, my posts lately make me sound like such an asshole…I’m really nice in real life, and I look like a pansy so people tend to pick on me.

What a pansy.[/quote]

see what I’m saying?

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
OOO! OOO! OOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Not that it really matters, I just thought I would throw it out there.[/quote]

Maybe you misunderstood. Maybe they were telling you that a woman will kill YOU quicker than a man a feel less guilty about it.

Think about it. Piss anyone off lately?

Remember this golden rule.

Women are always equal until they have to do something, then they are too weak and opressed to do it themselves and will badger a guy to do it.

Your sister is one step from feminist idiot and two steps from dyke.

Yea, I’ve had these debates with female friends before. Between the media and some college’s it’s hard to talk reality with some of these women. But all they have to do with sports at least is go to the record books (or pro teams) and check it out.

Reality will bite them in the ass everytime.