Teacher/Student Fight

A teacher tries to stop a student from allegedly selling drugs in class, a physical altercation breaks out.

The teacher was placed on leave, but since has received an apology from the school superintendent.

17 year-olds think they’re the epitome of strength and speed. There is such a thing as old man strength and the thing is it kicks in at about 23.

[quote]Nards wrote:
17 year-olds think they’re the epitome of strength and speed. There is such a thing as old man strength and the thing is it kicks in at about 23.[/quote]

Truth.

I recall trying to wrestle my dad as a kid, thinking I would own him since I benched around 300 lbs back then. I soon found myself getting my ass handed to me, as my gym strength was no match for his brute strength.

So if I’m 23, will a 51 yr old dude automatically win?

I mean, what’s the ratio/math equation for old man strength?

My history teacher ( who was a div 1 offensive tackle ) was being harassed by a thug in my class. The teacher who btw had the absolute biggest forearms I have ever seen, picked up the student AND his desk and slammed it down. The student was put in detention and nothing was done to the teacher.
My bus driver in 7th and eighth grade greeted my brother and I every morning by saying " sit down and shut up " We were not exactly good kids. I watched this bus driver basically choke slam a kid that was beating a kid up. Needless to say, this kid no longer bullied anybody.
The 80’s were a beautiful thing…When justice just fell into place without involving police or any other BULLSHIT! Parents and kids are SOFT nowadays and they are learning zero life lessons.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
17 year-olds think they’re the epitome of strength and speed. There is such a thing as old man strength and the thing is it kicks in at about 23.[/quote]

Truth.

I recall trying to wrestle my dad as a kid, thinking I would own him since I benched around 300 lbs back then. I soon found myself getting my ass handed to me, as my gym strength was no match for his brute strength. [/quote]

Same with me. I was a wrestler in high school. The old coach was an Olympic hopeful in his youth, but had been cut down by polio which left him partially invalid. One day at practice he challenged me. I though he was nuts and that I’d better go easy on him. As we wrestled I could feel that he was not only capable, but dominant, so I kicked it up a notch. He tore me up, and had me so pretzeled in some odd pinning combo, I was sore for days after.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
The teacher was placed on leave, but since has received an apology from the school superintendent.
[/quote]

This was an interesting video to watch, especially listening to opinions of the Superintentent, as well as other students.

IMO, a few things stand out to me:
-The teacher tells a student not to sell drugs in class, and gets static
-The student first lays his hands on the teacher (watch the entire video towards the end)
-The teacher neither strikes, or truly harms the student, merely restrains him (he is the wrestling coach after all), and tells students in the class to get security

As a teacher in a NYC school with a very prominent ‘bad element’, I can honestly say that I have absolutely no problem with what the teacher did.

S

[quote]Nards wrote:
Is this a typo? Man strength doesn’t kick in till at least 35 dude.

Is this perceived as a win for the teacher because he eventually got the kid on the ground?

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
Is this a typo? Man strength doesn’t kick in till at least 35 dude.[/quote]

I believe Nards was making the point without being literal.

To a 17 year old kid, 23 is old!

[quote]Nards wrote:
and from my one research subject it still is “in” at age 47

[quote]crowdhater wrote:
My history teacher ( who was a div 1 offensive tackle ) was being harassed by a thug in my class. The teacher who btw had the absolute biggest forearms I have ever seen, picked up the student AND his desk and slammed it down. The student was put in detention and nothing was done to the teacher.
My bus driver in 7th and eighth grade greeted my brother and I every morning by saying " sit down and shut up " We were not exactly good kids. I watched this bus driver basically choke slam a kid that was beating a kid up. Needless to say, this kid no longer bullied anybody.

The 80’s were a beautiful thing…When justice just fell into place without involving police or any other BULLSHIT! Parents and kids are SOFT nowadays and they are learning zero life lessons. [/quote]

There used to be a thing called respect back in the day and kids knew how to act when they were out and about. Teachers took no crap and the school backed them up. Now the school boards are terrified of the parents suing them and the kids do whatever they want.

Rob

[quote]carbiduis wrote:
I mean, what’s the ratio/math equation for old man strength?[/quote]

It’s a rational function using polynomials, and the asymptote varies based on the remainder, so it’s hard to say where in the curve any given old guy might be.

It’s best not to mess with them though. If the guy is an old stone mason or something he might break your ribs just patting you on the back.

[quote]CLINK wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

Truth.

I recall trying to wrestle my dad as a kid, thinking I would own him since I benched around 300 lbs back then. I soon found myself getting my ass handed to me, as my gym strength was no match for his brute strength. [/quote]

Same with me. I was a wrestler in high school. The old coach was an Olympic hopeful in his youth, but had been cut down by polio which left him partially invalid. One day at practice he challenged me. I though he was nuts and that I’d better go easy on him. As we wrestled I could feel that he was not only capable, but dominant, so I kicked it up a notch. He tore me up, and had me so pretzeled in some odd pinning combo, I was sore for days after.
[/quote]

A banana split/cradle with a thumb in the eye for good measure?

I would kick any of my current teacher’s ass, no contest. Everyone is out of shape at the university.

[quote]beachguy498 wrote:
Now the school boards are terrified of the parents suing them and the kids do whatever they want.

Rob[/quote]

pretty much this^ Not to mention the fact that everyone is now a unique special snowflake and there are losers or bad grades.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
Is this a typo? Man strength doesn’t kick in till at least 35 dude.[/quote]

Indeed but I was sort of looking at it from the 17 year-olds point of view.

Probably never got disciplined has a child.