T Nation

Teacher Snorts Cocaine In Class!

"Police: Teacher Snorts Drugs In Front Of Kids
Woman Allegedly Admits Using Cocaine In Class

POSTED: 10:13 am EST February 11, 2007

LEWISTON, N.Y. – Police said a substitute teacher accused of snorting cocaine in front of her fourth-grade pupils will face charges that could send her to jail for up to three years.

Lewiston-Porter School District substitute Joan M. Donatelli, 59, has been charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child.

Pupils said they saw her use the cap of a pen to scoop the contents of a small plastic bag and place it to her nose on Feb. 1.

Donatelli is a retired first-grade teacher with the district.

Don Rappold, Interim Superintendent of Lewiston-Porter Central Schools reportedly sent the following letter home to parents Feb. 2:

"Dear Parents,

On Thursday, February 1, 2007, it was reported that a substitute teacher in your child’s classroom may have a substance abuse problem. This letter is to inform you that the Lewiston-Porter School District responded to the report by advising the police. The matter is now under investigation, and the District is fully cooperating with the authorities. Pending the outcome of the investigation, the substitute teacher has been prohibited from being on our campus."

The Buffalo News reported that when Sgt. Frank J. Previte of the Lewiston Police Department went to Donatelli’s house the evening after the alleged drug use, she admitted snorting the drugs in the classroom. The paper reported that she said she disposed of the drugs in the school restroom after being interviewed by Don W. Rappold, the interim superintendent of schools, about the alleged drug use in class.

The paper reported that Donatelli gave police the plastic bag and two pen caps, which tested positive for cocaine.
Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved."

Low pay means the profession is being taken over by people who should actually be lucky to work at McDonalds.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Low pay means the profession is being taken over by people who should actually be lucky to work at McDonalds. [/quote]

Since coke is commonly associated with upper class drug use, I don’t follow your logic. maybe if she was paid less, she would have resorted to crack!

Just to clarify, I do think that teaching conditions (including compensation) need improved for the welfare of our children and in many circumstances the safety of staff.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Low pay means the profession is being taken over by people who should actually be lucky to work at McDonalds. [/quote]

Oh, come on. Thats not even close to accurate.

I’m an addict in recovery, and I know at least one professional from just about every field, ranging from M.D.s and college Professors to cashiers and general laborers.

That isn’t about the pay.
Besides, she can afford cocaine. That shit isn’t cheap.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Low pay means the profession is being taken over by people who should actually be lucky to work at McDonalds.

Oh, come on. Thats not even close to accurate.

I’m an addict in recovery, and I know at least one professional from just about every field, ranging from M.D.s and college Professors to cashiers and general laborers.

That isn’t about the pay.
Besides, she can afford cocaine. That shit isn’t cheap.

[/quote]

Plus she’s 59 years old and retired - not exactly a example of the generation that may be “taking over” the teaching profession. In fact, I’m guessing she’s in the OP’s general cohort group.

I agree completely that teachers should be paid more but this situation has nothing to do with pay. I think it has more to do with the lack luster school boards not being involved in their schools and only being involved in what will bring more money to the higher administration. It seems the bar to be a teacher is set lower and lower every year.

Some of the things going on with these schools floors me. What was this woman thinking with this stuff at school, especially in front of the students?

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

The point was that riff-raff are taking over.

Nah, They have been there all along.

I can understand the surprise though. I was surprised too when I turned 21, went in to one of the local bars, and found half of the high school staff knocking back shots, beers, and a few other assorted substances that were not for sale from behing the bar.

Teachers are people too. At least I hope so. I’m marrying one in about 8 months.(she’s pretty straight laced though.)

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Nah, They have been there all along.

I can understand the surprise though. I was surprised too when I turned 21, went in to one of the local bars, and found half of the high school staff knocking back shots, beers, and a few other assorted substances that were not for sale from behing the bar.

Teachers are people too. At least I hope so. I’m marrying one in about 8 months.(she’s pretty straight laced though.)[/quote]

You’re right Skyz were people too. We like to have fun, kick back, etc. etc. just like anyone else. There’s a time and place for almost everything, I guess this woman just didn’t know that.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
The point was that riff-raff are taking over. [/quote]

HH - I think we get the point, and many of us agree, it’s just that the facts of this story don’t support the notion well at all. She retired from being a first grade teacher - and is now working as a sub. She’s not an example of anyone who’s “taking over.” anything. She might even be better seen a a member of the “old guard.”

I think the moral of the story is that old people can do coke too!

Power to the geriatric generation… don’t you feel empowered now HH?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Cocaine is a helluva drug.[/quote]

cheers to that

[quote]vroom wrote:
I think the moral of the story is that old people can do coke too!

Power to the geriatric generation… don’t you feel empowered now HH?[/quote]

Is that what you really think? The moral of the story is keep a close eye on your kids, their school, and their friends.

I hope that teacher looses her pension. My son is in 4th grade, and I hate to think about someone coming into his classroom and doing that.

Sick people.

Thank goodness it wasn’t creatine!

She violated the #1 rule of school that I learned my very first day:

don’t bring anything in if you don’t have enough to share with everybody.

That’s why this is headline news.

DB

Had a high school economics teacher who was supposedly well known for doing coke on campus and selling it to students. I was totally unaware of this before I graduated and always thought he was pretty cool.

I don’t see how locking up a 59-year-old cokehead in prison for three years is an effective strategy for solving the drug addiction.

It’s like having a dog that bites, then putting it in a kennel for three years with other dogs that bite. That’ll fix the biting problem!

– ElbowStrike

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:
I don’t see how locking up a 59-year-old cokehead in prison for three years is an effective strategy for solving the drug addiction.

It’s like having a dog that bites, then putting it in a kennel for three years with other dogs that bite. That’ll fix the biting problem!

– ElbowStrike[/quote]

I do. I’m usualy for some type of rehabilitation in certain circumstance, but the fact of the matter is that she committed a couple of crimes which she should be punished for.

If she should choose to do so, there are recovery programs available for people who are incarcerated. That would be time well spent, combined with follow up/recovery maintenance upon release.

Being an addict is not a get out of jail free card.

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:

– ElbowStrike[/quote]

Good quote! I was watching ‘cops’ last night and they were busting a lot of drug users, mostly crack users. And the users always break down and say “please, I can’t go to jail” etc etc. I just felt so bad for them, they’re so pathetic. I don’t know what putting them in jail achieves, it just destroys their lives more. It would be better to put them in some kind of institution to get them clean and teach them some life skills.

Send the violent criminals to jail. Drugs addicts are mostly pathetic and only a threat to themselves.