T Nation

Teacher Fired for Field Trip

Anyone else hear about this?

http://www.nbc10.com/education/9936513/detail.html

What a bunch of crap.

I wonder if they were just trying to get rid of the fat salary that comes with 28 years and this was just an excuse.

Either way it is bullshit.

Sounds like a wrongful termination suit waiting to happen.

But somehow, I get the feeling that there is another side to this story…

A lot of small Texas towns’ school boards are dominated (as in completely controlled) by the Baptist church. The “don’t drink, don’t dance” Baptist church. I’ve seen good people lose contracts for being Methodists.

I have a hard time believing that ANY parent has a stick up their ass that far that they put a nude scupture in an art museum on the same level as PORN. If a kid that age doesn’t understand the basic biology of men and women, I blame the parents for NEGLECT. Are kids supposed to be kept sterilized from basic anatomy until they hit High School?

Let me guess, teenage pregnancies in that area haven’t dropped one bit.

Teaching is a wonderful profession, if you only had to deal with the kids.

I’ve read of a teacher being fired for giving pushups in place of detentions (he let the student choose), a kid fell and broke his nose, the parents sued. Imagine your career being ruined because of such nonsense.

Never be a teacher.

But showing a violent movie where killing and rape was part of the plot would probably be OK.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Sounds like a wrongful termination suit waiting to happen.

But somehow, I get the feeling that there is another side to this story…[/quote]

She wasn’t terminated, her contract wasn’t renewed. Big difference.

[quote]doogie wrote:
nephorm wrote:
Sounds like a wrongful termination suit waiting to happen.

But somehow, I get the feeling that there is another side to this story…

She wasn’t terminated, her contract wasn’t renewed. Big difference.[/quote]

Small town Texas School districts are the worst. I live in one. If you think for a second that dirt farmers know nothing about the politics game - you are sadly mistaken.

But around here it’s the Church of Christ that is the “don’t drink - don’t smoke” mafia.

[quote]doogie wrote:
A lot of small Texas towns’ school boards are dominated (as in completely controlled) by the Baptist church. The “don’t drink, don’t dance” Baptist church. I’ve seen good people lose contracts for being Methodists. [/quote]

That is the reason for the seperation of church and state.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Teaching is a wonderful profession, if you only had to deal with the kids.

I’ve read of a teacher being fired for giving pushups in place of detentions (he let the student choose), a kid fell and broke his nose, the parents sued. Imagine your career being ruined because of such nonsense.

Never be a teacher.[/quote]

Were you ‘that’ teacher?

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Teaching is a wonderful profession, if you only had to deal with the kids.

I’ve read of a teacher being fired for giving pushups in place of detentions (he let the student choose), a kid fell and broke his nose, the parents sued. Imagine your career being ruined because of such nonsense.

Never be a teacher.

Were you ‘that’ teacher?[/quote]

No. I do pushups after each class with the kids though. They’re not forced but the others consider them ‘weenies’ if they don’t do 10 lousy pushups. BTW: We’re up to 13 this week. I wanted to start at 20 and end at 50 by next June, but some of these kids are in such pathetic shape! Most girls skip it though some are excellent athletes and actually love ‘pushup time’!

I’m an old man and have done 100 straight while the kids watched (last year). So, if I can do it, so can they. Also, one of the retired coaches, age 78, does one-arms on the field after touchdowns. He is a fucking PLAYER!!

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
doogie wrote:
A lot of small Texas towns’ school boards are dominated (as in completely controlled) by the Baptist church. The “don’t drink, don’t dance” Baptist church. I’ve seen good people lose contracts for being Methodists.

That is the reason for the seperation of church and state.[/quote]

School boards in Texas are voted on by the people. These churches themselves don’t actually run them. So I am a little confused as to where seperation of church and state comes in.

[quote]doogie wrote:
A lot of small Texas towns’ school boards are dominated (as in completely controlled) by the Baptist church. The “don’t drink, don’t dance” Baptist church. I’ve seen good people lose contracts for being Methodists. [/quote]

Surely a Methodist is simply a Baptist who can both read and write?

[quote]doogie wrote:
A lot of small Texas towns’ school boards are dominated (as in completely controlled) by the Baptist church. The “don’t drink, don’t dance” Baptist church. I’ve seen good people lose contracts for being Methodists. [/quote]

Surely a Methodist is simply a Baptist who can both read and write?

[quote]holifila wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:
doogie wrote:
A lot of small Texas towns’ school boards are dominated (as in completely controlled) by the Baptist church. The “don’t drink, don’t dance” Baptist church. I’ve seen good people lose contracts for being Methodists.

That is the reason for the seperation of church and state.

School boards in Texas are voted on by the people. These churches themselves don’t actually run them. So I am a little confused as to where seperation of church and state comes in.[/quote]

It doesn’t come into it at all–for better or worse. It’s just one of those facts of small town life down here. The majority of people get to form a school district that reflects their values.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
But showing a violent movie where killing and rape was part of the plot would probably be OK.[/quote]

(sarcasm on) Of course…after all, none of that’s real, after all. (sarcasm off)

Someone should direct these folks to Genesis 1 where God created the nude human form (Adam) and considered it (along with the rest of Creation) “good”. (sigh)

Unfortunately, things are not much better up here in the Northern Plains…same type of mentality prevails…in both the attitudes and the politics