T Nation

Tea Parties Steeped in Insanity?

I don’t know much about these anti-tax parties…seems like they’re somewhat strage. What do you all think?

[i]Anti-Obama Taxpayer Tea Parties steeped in insanity

What, exactly, are the protesters protesting? The marginal tax rate rising 3% for millionaires?
By Marc Cooper

April 15, 2009
» Discuss Article
The Web is buzzing with information about how to throw an anti-Obama Taxpayer Tea Party, something organizers hope will be held today from Santa Monica to South Carolina. But no need to burn up your bandwidth reading complicated instructions. Here’s a simpler recipe:

Go to a hobby store. Buy a scale model of a U.N. One-World-Government Black Helicopter and a tube of glue. Toss the model kit. Sniff the entire tube of glue. You’re all set for the party.

I can recall only a few outbreaks of such collective insanity as these tea parties in recent years. There was that time in the mid-1990s when a $19.95 video proving Bill Clinton was some sort of serial killer went viral. And then, a few years back, there was that chilling, televised midnight seance from the floor of the U.S. Congress aimed at reviving the long-brain-dead Terri Schiavo.

And now this. Whip out your Lipton and don your tinfoil hat and join the protest against … against … against what exactly?

The original Boston Tea Party was caffeinated by a very simple injustice: American Colonists refused to be taxed by a government that lacked any popular representation. That was remedied a few years later in a heroic struggle that stretched from Concord to Yorktown.

So, if you’ll excuse the mixed metaphor, what’s the beef behind today’s protests? The Obama administration is cutting taxes for all except the very richest of Americans. Reduced withholding is already showing up in millions of paychecks.

Then again, this rash of tea parties is being organized not only by the pseudo-journalists at Fox News (with Glenn Beck, Neil Cavuto and Sean Hannity actively stoking the flames) but also by FreedomWorks, a conservative lobbying outfit headed by former House Majority Leader Dick Armey. I suppose it was Armey’s constitutional if morally dubious privilege to have built an entire political career out of defending the wealthy.

But are common folks actually going to dump Earl Grey into Santa Monica Bay because they are outraged, simply infuriated, by the marginal tax rate rising 3% for millionaires?

Or maybe they’ll do it for some other reason. The FreedomWorks site says the Tea Party movement began in reaction to President Obama’s corporate bailouts and ensuing yawning budget deficits. These same conservatives, however, were mum when George W. Bush erased our budget surplus and put us deep in the red by drunken spending on a pointless war in Iraq and by, yes, granting massive tax rollbacks for the loaded country clubbers who fund the GOP (and Armey’s FreedomWorks). Another bothersome detail: The bailouts were also initiated by Bush.

Nobody I know is very pleased with the billions ladled out to teetering banks and corporations. Yet a clear majority of Americans are sophisticated enough to know that these bailouts are a necessary evil and are intended – unlike the lollipop Bush tax cuts – not for personal profit but rather as a radical, emergency measure to help Americans keep their jobs, their homes and their retirement.

And while way too many otherwise sane Republicans are actively pandering to the tea-bag battalions, some old-fashioned conservatives are calling out the Teabaggers for their silliness. Writing in Fortune magazine, conservative policy analyst Bruce Bartlett, who has a long anti-tax history, says: “The irony of these protests is that federal revenues as a share of the gross domestic product will be lower this year than any year since 1950. … The truth is that the U.S. is a relatively low-tax country no matter how you slice the data.”

The Tea Party movement, more than anything else, is a rather garish display of a Republican right that seems to have lost not only the national elections but also any semblance of political bearings. Staying on this course, the GOP risks – in the words of one pundit – becoming “the Talk Radio Republican Party.”

Better put that kettle on, Marge. It’s going to be a long and bizarre four years.

Marc Cooper is director of Annenberg Digital News at the Annenberg School for Communication at USC.[/i]

Uh, If you think 3% from millionaires is going to pay for his budget you need to go back to elementary school and learn your numbers again. Higher taxes are coming.

I see it not as a republican display, but a display by actual conservatives disenfranchised by the republican party.

It’s funny that it has gotten so big the media can’t ignore it, so they are now attacking it. If it were any other disenfranchised group the media would make them out as heroes. But apparently protesting is only good if you’re a liberal.

I’ll bet lots of people thought the first one was crazy too.

That piece is a COMPLETE red herring.

Don’t be such a fucking tool of the MSM.

Tea Party Day is not just about taxes and the immediate changes the Obama administration is making to tax rates.

It is about the impoverishment of our children via our current spending mania; it is about returning to the rule of law, and respecting both the Federal and State Constitutions; it is about restoring the founding principles of this country; it is about reducing the size and scope and actions of the Federal government to the powers enumerated in the Constitution. Et cetera…

The platform in one sentence:

“Boston Tea Party supports reducing the size, scope and power of government at all levels and on all issues, and opposes increasing the size, scope and power of government at any level, for any purpose.”

http://bostontea.us/

Why do you think the ideals of our founders are insane? That’s what this is about. It’s not Democrat/Republican left or right deal. It’s about runaway taxes for idiotic programs, a show of people against fiscal irrisponsibility and a peacefull assembly of people who pay taxes saying enough is enough.

Do you belive that I as a taxpayer should pay for a deadbeats mortgage? Is it insane to want to be responsible for MY OWN house and not someone else’s failure to make good fiscal decisions.

C’mon man.

You are making yourself look foolish with this nonsense.

PS…has anyone seen their federal taxes go down yet? I haven’t. Anyone get that 8 bucks a week yet?

If you count the inflation of the money supply as a hidden tax, which it is, then it is much more than 3%.

Also, attacking peoples trust in their currency is a direct attack on the fabric of civilization.

I would also be much more concerned that people obviously no longer believe that voting can lead to any real change. I doubt that the mental condition of the people who put him against a wall will matter very much to him.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

So, you guys like these? Did anyone attend? They’re not just raving loons talking shouting about how much they hate Obama?

[quote]Gambit_Lost wrote:
So, you guys like these? Did anyone attend? They’re not just raving loons talking shouting about how much they hate Obama? [/quote]

Ever been to an Iraq war protest? I hear plenty of people screaming about how Bush is equivalent to Hitler. Just because a group has some crazies doesn’t make the entire ideal false or morally unjust.

So, you guys like these? Did anyone attend? They’re not just raving loons talking shouting about how much they hate Obama? [/quote]

I attended one and there was no talk of hate of Obama. It was non-partisan blaming both Bush and Obama for bailouts and also exposed congress of the circus they are conducting. My town has another planned for July 4th.

Lol Gambit…you are just so irritating.

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:
Gambit_Lost wrote:
So, you guys like these? Did anyone attend? They’re not just raving loons talking shouting about how much they hate Obama?

Lol Gambit…you are just so irritating.[/quote]

:wink:

Good turnout in my SW Florida location. At least that’s what I heard.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Gambit_Lost wrote:

Ever been to an Iraq war protest? [/quote]

Nah, that isn’t really my crowd

[quote]
I hear plenty of people screaming about how Bush is equivalent to Hitler. Just because a group has some crazies doesn’t make the entire ideal false or morally unjust.[/quote]

If someone said bush=hitler then they are a nutter.

The MSM is gonna spin it they way they want to because anyone who is against the idea of increased taxes, bailouts, expansion of government and believing in the Constitution has been labeled as a right wing hatemonger.

The bailouts were started during the Bush years. I’m sure there are many people who voted for Bush (me) who had buyers remorse when he started talking about bailouts. Another example is the lefties in different web forum wouldn’t say shit when I dissed Bush. However if I said somthing negative Obama when he was running they would flame the hell out of me. They even tried to call me a racist then they found out I was black so they called me a sellout. The MSM is gonna paint Barry in the best light that they can because the MSM is mainly run by other liberals. Ok I’m stepping of the soapbox.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Gambit_Lost wrote:

Ever been to an Iraq war protest? I hear plenty of people screaming about how Bush is equivalent to Hitler. Just because a group has some crazies doesn’t make the entire ideal false or morally unjust.[/quote]

Whats funny about that is the BHO’s social ideals match Hitlers more than Bush’s. Hitler wanted government control of the banks too…

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Why do you think the ideals of our founders are insane? That’s what this is about. It’s not Democrat/Republican left or right deal. It’s about runaway taxes for idiotic programs, a show of people against fiscal irrisponsibility and a peacefull assembly of people who pay taxes saying enough is enough.

Do you belive that I as a taxpayer should pay for a deadbeats mortgage? Is it insane to want to be responsible for MY OWN house and not someone else’s failure to make good fiscal decisions.

C’mon man.

You are making yourself look foolish with this nonsense.

PS…has anyone seen their federal taxes go down yet? I haven’t. Anyone get that 8 bucks a week yet?[/quote]

to be honost and rhetoric aside. trying to save home owners is not about letting us pay for other “dead beats” ect.

if foreclosures get out of control, that fucks all our property values, even at the current value which is deflated from two years ago.

if you own a home, just wait till theres 4 or 5 foreclosures on your block and check our your property value after that. i nearly shit my pants.

how ever i do see the credence in opposing the attempt to do so. but you just have to consider how far down is the bottom? if you think its not very far, then protecting foreclosures is not the way to go.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Uh, If you think 3% from millionaires is going to pay for his budget you need to go back to elementary school and learn your numbers again. Higher taxes are coming.

I see it not as a republican display, but a display by actual conservatives disenfranchised by the republican party.

It’s funny that it has gotten so big the media can’t ignore it, so they are now attacking it. If it were any other disenfranchised group the media would make them out as heroes. But apparently protesting is only good if you’re a liberal.[/quote]

i cringe every time they call it “tea” party.

i agree with the idea behind these, but i wish they would call it something else lol.

Why should the government subsidize anyone’s property value by bailing out their neighbor’s mortgage? The USA subsidizes too much as it is.

We just had a family on the block gone 4 months after moving in. There is no bailing that out. The bottom line, is Americans have screwed up badly with credit, and there needs to be a financial brushfire to clear the deadwood. Yes it sucks. There are lessons here for Joe Everyguy.

1. Know what the hell your investing in and why, not just because some douche on CNBC says to.

2. You are entitled to certain things in life. If you would like to review the list, please refer to the United States Constitution, including all ammendments, and relevant court opinions. Nowhere is there the right to stable home values.

Reality check, I know that will never happen, but I feel better.

Somthing interesting I just found out about some of CNN’s coverage of the Tea Party.I heard a sound byte talking about how their were no “brown” people there. About ten mins later I saw some coverage of it on a local news station and they showed a hispanic guy throwing boxes of “tea” into Lake Michigan. Once again fuck the MSM.