T Nation

TC's Sprinting Article

Does anyone happen to know the link? I can’t seem to find it using the search button.

It’s a one day a week program.

I missed it last time someone posted about it.

Thanks.

Nate

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459646

From the 1998 archives, BTW.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459646

From the 1998 archives, BTW. [/quote]

Huh. I didn’t know TC sprinted towards anything but nubile young ladies.
Nice article.

Thanks Chris.

Nate

Can someone try to explain how do you

“Use your arms to power your body, and with each stride, pump your arms furiously so that the hand of the driving arm comes up to your face”

and still

“Keep your shoulders relaxed while sprinting”?

Thanks!

[quote]Adi Foyle wrote:
Can someone try to explain how do you

“Use your arms to power your body, and with each stride, pump your arms furiously so that the hand of the driving arm comes up to your face”

and still

“Keep your shoulders relaxed while sprinting”?

Thanks![/quote]

Furiously probably isn’t the right word to use when describing how you should pump your arms, since “furious” and “relaxed” are opposite in meaning, but you do need to move your arms quickly and through a full range of motion while staying relaxed and keeping excess tension to a minimum.

Charlie Francis discusses this in his book, the Charlie Francis Training System. Two of the cues he mentions for the “sprint position” are the driving hand coming up to the level of the face (just like the article says) and the shoulders staying relaxed and not elevated (when the shoulders rise, the hips lock up).

It is difficult, especially for people who aren’t accustomed to sprinting, to try to move as quickly as possible while staying relaxed the entire time. Rather than trying to focus on both things at once, it would probably be best to just concentrate on one for the time being, then focus on the other as you master the first, and I’m sure Charlie would agree with me when I say this.

Maybe that’s why he wrote it! =D

TB

[quote]Trailblazer wrote:
Huh. I didn’t know TC sprinted towards anything but nubile young ladies.
Nice article.

Maybe that’s why he wrote it! =D

TB[/quote]

good point.