2x20x25s

B2 | Bilateral KB Curl:
3x15x70

Cable Crossover Rear Delts:
2x20x15s

Cardio - Recumbent Bike:
100 cal in 11:00 - 2.6 miles - 75-85 RPM at level 12
0.4 mile cool down at level 5 - Totals: 13:42 and 112 cal

My CNS was way out of whack for this. I felt shaky, unstable, and weak on bench. The reps didnā€™t feel good until set 8 and even then it felt heavy. I wore a belt to help with all of that and to practice using it for the meet. I previously said I was going to do a 5x6 and such, but I think itā€™d be safer and Iā€™ll get more out of doing equivalent volume at a lower rep range, like the 10x3.

Friday - ME Deadlift & DE Squat

Sumo w/ Belt/Straps:
2x1x495 - Hook grip
1x545 - Hook grip, bare thumbs
3x1x585 - Add straps. PR
3x1x495

Squat w/ Belt:
10x1x455 - Didnā€™t feel like it was moving very fast, but video shows it going well

Barbell Hyper:
10x135
3x10x185
10x135

Decline Ab Crunch Hold:
3x3x5 sec holds w/ 45

Standing Single Leg Curl:
3x15/15x60

Goblet Squat:
3x15x70

Last heavy deadlifts. Not a bad week to hit 585 four times. First set today was great, then the second I went slightly wider to see if it would help. Well it was a lot harder, but I still got it. Third set was back to being pretty easy. Only issue is I need to keep my back in a better position and then see how much I can hook grip. 545 will likely be my opener at the meet.

Tried a new squat form/cue, which is to keep my hips more under me back purposefully pushing my knees forward. This is a Max Aita cue. It seemed to work very well for my hips being useful as opposed to being leaned over and having to use my lower back too much.

Saturday - ME Bench - 2 Weeks Out

Paused Bench:
1x365 - Moved well, felt heavy
5x3x335 - Elbows and shoulders dying, but no muscular pains

HS High Row - Unilateral Facing Sideways:
4x10/10x90+Mini

A1 | Triceps Pushdown:
3x12x57.5

A2 | Facepull:
3x15x57.5

Barbell Curl:
34, 33, 33 x 45

Pec Deck Fly:
3x15x80

Cardio - Treadmill Prowler Push:
10 minutes of 0:30 on / 0:30 off

Knew Iā€™d be able to hit 365 within a couple of weeks of benching again and I did it. 385 was there as well, just wanted to be conservative. The 5x3 felt shitty because my elbows and shoulders were not handling this sudden intensity very well. Iā€™ll be fine soon and I am still on track for a decent bench at the meet. Will probably open at 345 for ease.

Monday - Squat & Deadlift

Squat w/ Belt:
1x475
1x495
1x515 - Not bad, lost my lower back position though
3x3x465 - RPE 10. Reps are very hard right now for some reason

Paused Squat w/ Belt:
6x1x405 - Just practicing staying in position with my new cues

Sumo w/ Belt - Hook Grip:
5x1x495

Lying Incline Barbell Row:
4x8x225

Lying Leg Curl:
3x15x80

McGill 3 - Curl-Up / Rolling Side Plank / Bird Dog:
2x5/5 each

Literally anything over singles for squats is really hard for me right now. Iā€™ve done a 4x4x465 before and that was before my mock meet where I squatted 545 for a new PR, but I donā€™t have any reason to think I couldnā€™t hit an extra 30 lbs on my 515 single today. So I donā€™t really know what to think about that. But Iā€™m going to just focus for on cleaning up my heavy singles til the meet. Same goes for deadlift.

I couldnā€™t maintain the knees-forward cue with the heavy weight, so I went back to my normal form. I do want to get that down though, because it feels like it could be very useful.

Wednesday - Bench

Paused Bench:
1x365 @ 7ish - This was super easy. I used a band on the bench to help me stay in my arch this time
5x2x345 - Pretty easy but had a lot of elbow pain

A1 | Paused Close Grip Incline:
3x8x185

A2 | Hammer Curls:
2x20x35s
2x20x35s w/ FatGripz

HS Iso-Row:
4x10x270

B1 | HS Chest Press:
2x30/30x45

B2 | Band Overhead Triceps Extension:
2x30/30xMicro

Cable Rope Pullover:
10, 15, 20 x 50 - Felt more triceps than lats

Cardio - Rowing:
10 rounds of 0:30 on / 0:30 off - 1440 meters total. Avg 8 cal per round

More right elbow pain on bench unfortunately, but Iā€™ll work it out. It may be coming from the shoulder. Regardless, Iā€™m really happy with how the 365 moved. I think I underestimated how slick the benches have become because I was losing my shoulder position at the bottom, but with the band 365 was like nothing. I think I could have hit 405 on that set no problem. So hopefully the bench at the meet is actually sticky.

Thursday - Squat & Deadlift

Squat w/ Belt:
5x2x455 - New form held up well. Stopped short of ATG without any issues

Paused Squat w/ Belt:
6x1x405

Sumo w/ Belt - Hook Grip:
1x405
1x495 - Hold with down command
1x545 - Hold with down command. Tore a bit at the base of my thumb, so I cut it here.

Seated Leg Curl:
3x15x100

McGill Curl-Ups:
2x10/10

Last real squat workout til the meet. Saturday is bench and then Iā€™m done. Iā€™ll probably squat and bench my openers or slightly less (455-495 and 335-355) on Monday and I maybe deadlift up to 495. Based on the 545 today, I could also drop my opener to 525 or so just to make sure I can hold it and not bomb out like an idiot. My hook grip held at the top despite the skin tearing and I was given a long-ass hold before the down command. About 3-4 full seconds. So I just need the skin to heal up and be prepared for it to hurt like a bitch.

2 Likes

Saturday - Ugh - 1 Week Out

Paused Bench:
2x315
1x365 - Easy
2x315 - Comically easy
2x315 - Also easy, but wait thereā€™s more. On the last like 2 inches at lockout of the second rep, my delt strained again

Some rows and machine things

Well Iā€™ll be taking a token bench at the meet, I guess. Itā€™s 2 days later now, so Iā€™m not as angry about it, but this is incredibly frustrating. There were no signs that it was going to happen and the reps were some of the easiest Iā€™ve felt in a long time. Oh well though.

Since my plan is to compete in the 220s in May, technically I only have to get a 1191 lb total to qualify, but since Iā€™m competing in the 242s this weekend, I want to make sure I get the 1230 total in case I donā€™t make weight in May. So that means, I could go conservative on everything at 500/185/545 and still hit it.

[quote=ā€œTylerPK4L, post:786, topic:187939ā€]
On the last like 2 inches at lockout of the second rep, my delt strained again[/quote]
I grimaced. If thatā€™s a comforting pain (an acknowledgement of the RPE), you should relook your book of indicators. If itā€™s the tricep thatā€™s hurting it would be better.

What do you mean? Itā€™s definitely not the triceps, itā€™s some fibers of the anterior deltoid coming right off the clavicle. I think it happened because my bar path includes arching back over my face, so the delts were being used for that at the top. But there were no indications that it was going to happen, unfortunately.

Monday - Near Openers

Squat w/ Belt:
1x455 - One of my better reps with this weight in recent memory. Cut it here to end on a high note. Will be my last warm-up at the meet

Sumo w/ Belt:
1x495 - Moved well enough. Thumbs hurt, so that was iffy, but I also used almost no chalk. This will also be my last warm-up

The rest included feeling out my delt. Itā€™s not that bad, but itā€™s there. I should be fine for 185 or so without any problems.

So Iā€™m still deciding what I want to open with for each lift. In order to hit the 1230 total, I could open 501.5 / 187.4 / 545.6 and hit it. The squat is heavier than I would have done if I were still benching properly, but Iā€™d like to have it in the bag with my openers. I would rather pull 525 or so to ensure my grip would hold, but maybe Iā€™ll squat well and then be able to adjust that opener after squats.

I rarely bench so I canā€™t say much (I wish I could help).

But if you adopt a closer grip (hand placements as close as possible), itā€™ll fare better for your shoulders. Thatā€™s all I know.

You must be training really hard!.

I used to have a closer grip than I do now. The close grip is actually what caused my history of pec strains. My shoulder isnā€™t what is injured. I think your first language may not be English, so Iā€™m not sure how to explain it. The deltoid muscle that I hurt is not what people are referring to when they say that they hurt their shoulder.

I appreciate the advice though.

1 Like

No, trust me. I get it. I have the same problem. Rest well!

Itā€™s called bench shoulder I think. I got it from chin-ups albeit from a rugby injury. Long story short, the joint feels slightly shaky right? Thatā€™s the anterior shoulder.

No, thatā€™s not what Iā€™m talking about. Itā€™s just a strained muscle.

Oh okay. Whew.

Wednesday - Groovinā€™

Beltess Squat:
2x3x225
5x1x225 - All very explosive. Just thought of the commands and not looking at the mirror

Paused Bench:
5x95 - No pain
1x135 - No pain. Delt should be completely fine for 185-225

Beltless Sumo:
3x3x225 - 1 rep each dbl paused, paused, and normal

I also did a decent amount of mobility and warming up before this and then some hollow-body holds and upside down KB stuff.

I didnā€™t drag out the DL bar because that would be ridiculous. I also used one of the shitty thick, roll-y, no-center-knurling bars for squats because thatā€™s what was in the rack. Am now trained for anything.

See ya after the meet

USPA Alabama State Championships

I weighed in at 103.7 kg / 228.6 lbs at about 4:15pm. I didnā€™t do any sort of cutting for this and I ate and drank plenty during the day. This means that my scale at home is potentially off by 3-6 lbs. Good to know.

Didnā€™t go hog wild for food, but I did have wings, a philly cheesesteak, and then a pint of Ben & Jerryā€™s Half Baked Froyo to assist the bloat.

Meet Day

60 lifters, 4 flights, I was flight C. The meet took right under 10 hours including the lifter meeting, so it was exhausting just being there and sitting around on bleachers. I started warming up for squats some time during flight B.

Squats

I warmed up to 455 and didnā€™t feel great during any of it. I moved 455 a few days ago like a joke, but I wasnā€™t feeling my same stability as usual. Also, I canā€™t wait until I donā€™t have to squat with a mirror in training anymore.

1st Attempt: 227.5 / 501.5 lbs - Good lift. Pretty easy, just not great
2nd Attempt: 237.5 / 523.6 lbs - Good lift. Really slow. It was smooth, but it was just an odd rep because I was a little out of position where I couldnā€™t get my knees forward to easily pop it up, but also where I knew if I just stayed in my lane I could wait it out
3rd/Yolo Attempt: 250 / 551 lbs - No lift. Just wanted to try the 6 lb PR to see if I could grind it out despite not touching over 515 in like 6 months. It pretty much ground me into the ground instead. lol

Bench

I warmed up with 5 reps with the bar and a single at 135. I donā€™t know what else you want me to say here.

1st Attempt: 85 / 187.4 lbs - No pain
2nd Attempt: 100 / 220.4 lbs - No pain. Did this so that I could lower my deadlift opener to 501 and still qualify for May even if hook grip didnā€™t want to cooperate. Passed on 3rd.

I donā€™t really know if the delt is still injured. Obviously going to take my time building back on it, but I felt nothing at all on these lifts.

Deadlift

I warmed up on a deadlift bar thankfully. Iā€™ve never been able to do that at a meet. I got up to 455 and felt good during it.

1st Attempt: 227.5 / 501.5 lbs - No lift. Huh? Yeah, my hook grip held up great, I just got to the top very easily, lost my balance, my calves tried to help out and cramped, causing some downward motion.
2nd Attempt: 227.5 / 501.5 lbs - Good lift. Obviously I could have gone up from my opener despite missing it, but the point was to secure a qualifying total. This did that
3rd Attempt: 272.5 / 600.8 lbs - Good lift. 15 lb sumo PR and 55 lb hook grip PR! Very easy. I think I had 30-40 lbs in me, especially if I hadnā€™t had to jump 100 lbs to get here. This was sort of a yolo attempt too, but mostly just on the hook grip. No issues there except for some skin tearing, but otherwise I didnā€™t feel anything during the lift. Could have been the shot and a half of whiskey 3 mins before the lift. That was hilariously effective btw. Chris Duffin is on point with that.

Conclusion

Totaled 610 kg / 1,344.8 lbs and went 6/8. I had a lot of fun being in a meet again finally despite missing a couple of the lifts. USPA Drug-Tested Nationals is 11 weeks away. Iā€™m going to get back to it immediately since I wasnā€™t peaked for this meet and donā€™t feel like a train hit me or anything. Sticking with the Chris Duffin theme, grand goals are whatever kilos come out to 565/430/650 give or take a couple lbs somewhere to put me above an elite total in the 220s (1,643 lbs needed).

Successful Lifts:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ--GyDAN0m/

Failed lifts:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ--0s3gkxv/

1 Like

11 Weeks Out - Accumulation Phase - Week 1 - Day 1: RE Squat & DE Deadlift

Squat w/ Belt:
5x8x365 - RPE 6ish - My right glute started feeling iffy after the second set, but only between sets, not during the movement

Beltless Sumo - Paused at Knees - Straps:
6x3x405 - Wanted more weight on these, but avoiding a glute injury was the priority

Lat Pulldown - Behind the Neck / Facing Away:
4x20x100 - Iā€™m going to hit these for the phase and see if they help with upper back tightness in the squat

Pull-Through:
3x15x80

Lying Leg Curl:
3x15x95

A1 | Deadbugs:
3x20

A2 | Hanging Leg Raise:
3x15

I didnā€™t mention this in the meet report because I didnā€™t think it mattered, but during my opening squat, when I contracted my glutes before descending, I felt them grabbing a bit. I didnā€™t feel anything after that lift, but today it came back on the right side. Like I noted, it started between sets and I didnā€™t really feel it during squats. But it has progressed so that I feel it whenever I use my glutes. Itā€™s a pretty easy area to work on during the day because I can sit on a ball and move over it. Hopefully itā€™s not a big deal, but itā€™s worth noting.

The workout itself was okay because I didnā€™t want to push myself too hard immediately, especially with the glute feels. The squats were hard, but I still had several reps in the tank.

Iā€™ve decided to start doing a superset of abs instead of just one exercise in order to actually get something out of it. The deadbugs + leg raises worked well and Iā€™ll have supersets of hollow-body holds + suitcase carry and planks + pallof press as well. Need to do everything I can for my core and protecting my lower back.

Accumulation Phase - Week 1 - Day 2: RE Bench & Bodybuildinā€™

Paused Bench:
10x5x225 - Something like a minute between sets. Felt some discomfort around the delt and pecs, but just the first step back

DB Incline Bench:
4x15x50s

Seal Row w/ Straps:
3x8x225
2x15x135

BW Triceps Extension (Skullcrusher):
4x15

Cable Rope Curls w/ FatGripz:
3x15x50

DB Seated Lateral/Front/Rear Delt Raises:
3x15/15/15x15s - Dead

Cardio - BW Complex:
3 Burpees
5 Squats
5 Push-Ups
15 Mountain Climbers
15 Jumping Jacks
I was supposed to do 12 rounds EMOM but after the first round, I realized I only had 15 sec of rest before the next minute. I cut the mountain climbers after the 2nd round and then just ended up with 5 rounds in 6 mins before my VMOs were cramping. lol Iā€™ve failed you @Alpha

This ended up being a really good workout despite not being able to bench much. My triceps were cramping up any time I tried to extend my elbow all last night after this. Those BW triceps extensions are killer. Basically like a push-up on a smith machine bar, but instead do a skullcrusher type of movement.

Iā€™m going to try to focus on movements like that for my accessories instead of pushdowns and such to see if I can get more carryover to my bench.

Another focus is going to be my delts. Iā€™m going to hit them at least twice per weekly similarly to today. Hopefully this will help me add a decent amount of protective muscle and not let the delt strain come back.

For the cardio aspect, Iā€™m going to put more focus on BW complexes and such rather than biking and rowing, thought those will still be done sometimes. Theyā€™re just a lot harder than traditional cardio and also include explosive things. Interestingly, I could explosively get out of the push-up position on the burpees without any delt pain.

1 Like

Accumulation Phase - Week 1 - Day 3: ME Deadlift & DE Squat

Conventional 3" Block Pull w/ Belt/Straps:
4x6x455 - Iā€™m very bad at this variation. I could have done more, as this was around an RPE 7, but I wanted to be careful with the glute, which felt fine

SSB Squat w/ Belt:
12x2x335 - 60 sec rest - Hands on the camber instead of the handles made this feel more like a comp squat

Seated SSB Good Morning:
3x10x205

Hatfield Squat:
3x15x245

Sumo SLDL:
3x10x225

A1 | RKC Plank:
4x0:30

A2 | Pallof Press:
4x10/10x30

This was real tough. I havenā€™t had a workout with all compound movements in a long time. This was a big test for my glute and I think it went well. No pain the next day either. If I can hit these accessories once a week and add weight or volume to them, I think theyā€™ll help me big time with my weaknesses.

Accumulation Phase - Week 1 - Day 4: ME Bench & RE Bench

3 Ct. Wide Grip Bench:
5x5x275 - First two sets ring fingers on rings and remaining with middle fingers

TnG Wide Grip Bench:
3x8x225

Standing One-Arm DB Row w/ Straps:
4x12/12x130

Dips:
3x12xBW

A1 | Incline EZ Bar Curls:
3x15x80

A2 | DB Lateral/Front Raises:
3x10/10x35s

Cardio - Rowing/Push-Ups:
4 rounds / 3 mins on / 3 mins off
Row 500m followed by max push-ups in remaining time
Went 20, 33, 23, 21 for 97 total push-ups and 2017m in 8:30 for 125 cal

Pretty happy with how this went today. 275 didnā€™t feel light, but I had a good amount of control at the bottom on the eccentrics, something I usually have difficulty with. Iā€™m going Chinese girl with my ROM, if I can handle moving the grip out to max width and still being able to lift heavy with it.

TnG was fine, just being very careful with that for my delt and pecs. Dips were the same way.

This cardio was really good. I think I could push the rest periods down to increase difficulty.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRM6Fwgg0zJ/