T Nation

TBT

Disclaimer!! I do not advocate TBT as the best program for Bodybuilding because it's not even close, there are too many holes as far as fixing weak points are concerned. I'd go as far as saying that in regards to breaking a plateau, gaining some mass, developing extra horsepower (if you give a damn about that), having some fun (if you give a damn about that), and losing some fat, it does deserve it's props. I did (and am currently doing) a split for years, then out of boredom I did an 8 week TBT program a while back, and Jesus was that ever hard work! I had lots of fun and it reinvigorated the fire to go to the gym. BTW if you didn't try it at least once for at the very least a session, remember you have no place to knock it. I'll say this one more time for the ones who are on the attack. TBT is not a one size fits all cure all. It has many limitations as far as creating an aesthetic physique, but it has good points too.

What are your thoughts on the oldest program in Bodybuilding?

I've seen some TBT threads on this forum go kind of good (at it's best) to really really bad. Let's see what happens here.

Somewhere here begins the classic argument between those who suggest split training, and those who suggest total body training. Finally who is right and who is wrong? the truth is that both things work, with one basic condition, that in any case the volume of the exercise fits with recovery and suppercompensation happens.

One disadvantage of TBT is that you need more warm up sets, the workout takes more time, and the fatigue is higher. One advantage is that it doesn't leaves huge recovery time between muscle groups or movements witch is good for the begginer trainee, who is not strong enough to damage his muscle so much in order to take a week or so to recover.

i just dont like it because you cant usually ever train 5-7 days a week on it and plus i used to do it when i first started for so long and while on dieting initially at the beginner stage it was fine for fat loss, if I ever try one now I actually will get weaker for some reason, I like splits a lot more.

It almost seems like Weightlifters/Bodybuilders are split into three groups. Total Body, Push/Pull or Upper/Lower, and Body Part guys. I've used all three and they have all done something positive for me.

Damn right.

I am currently doing a TBT system that entails training the entire body 4 days a week, including 2 consecutive days. Now almost everything I have ever read counsels against such madness but I had a bit of time to experiment so I thought 'why not'?

I have played around with format because yes, obviously, there is an overtraining risk. At the moment I have settled for a format based on some of John Romaniello's ideas around density training, as well as some more traditional methods.

To set the context, I am into my forth week of a fat loss blitz using a CKD system that entails glygogen depletion workouts, etc. This is Lyle McDonald's UD2. Here is a working week (which for me starts on Tuesdays):

Tuesday - TBT session a la Romaniello density training: 2 circuits in the 10-20 range; 1 min RI between circuits. First circuit x 3; 2nd circuit x 2 (increase load after 1st round of each circuit)

A1) BB alternating lunge
A2) Inverted Row
A3) Crunch

B1) BB step-up
B2) Push-up
B3) Leg raise

Wednesday - as above with different circuits:

A1) Deadlift
A2) Renegade Row
A3) Ab roll out

B1) Bulgarian split squat
B2) Barbell push up
B3) Reverse crunch

Thursday - off

Friday - TBT session - have been experimenting here with Staley-style density training, i.e. pairings performed in 15 min period using roughly 10RM load:

A1) Squat
A2) Weighted push-up

B1) Bulgarian split squat
B2) BB Row

Finish with some biceps, face pulls, abs, etc

Saturday - off

Sunday - TBT strength session. Usually lasts about 90 mins. Use ramping methods and 5x5 rep ranges and some max rep sets a la CT. Needless to say compounds order of the day. I'm glycogen/creatine loaded by now and usually feel like I could train for 3 hours!

TBT is good for:

Beginners
Athletes
Ordinary dudes who want to be "in shape"
Maintenance

Not one top bodybuilder uses TBT.

I do two TBT sessions per week now because I run 5 times per week.

I take it with "top bodybuilder" you must be excluding guys like Mike Mentzer, Boyer Coe, Sergio Oliva, Casey Viator, etc, etc, not to mention all the other old school bodybuilders before them who carved out amazing physiques using TBT? And instead these guys must come under your "ordinary dudes" category? Enough said...

Well the majority of them don't.

results?

anything of substance?

keyword is USES.

the sport has changed and so have the physiques.

I hear/read this alot. What is considered in shape? To the average person in shape = not fat. To a bodybuilder and many on here someone like ryan reynolds in blade was not big just lean/in shape.

A lot has changed including the drugs, nutritional practices and training equipment.

The "keyword" is really the key phrase, i.e. that TBT is for 'Ordinary dudes who want to be "in shape"' which, as highlighted above, is complete bollocks.

im telling on you.... PROFESSOR X!!!

Yup--keyword is USES.

I'm excluding guys from the 1950's to 1970's, whose physiques were amazing, but are not at the development of the people we have around today. And the reason the bar has been set even higher is NOT only because of smarter or more use of drugs, but because of smarter TRAINING and nutrition, and more genetically gifted men involved in bodybuilding.

Did you see my complete list, or just so happened to focus on "ordinary dudes who want to keep in shape" (same crowd that would benefit from upper-lower splits)?

Athletes aren't ordinary. Olympic lifters (who I left out of the list) aren't ordinary.

To me, "in shape" is fairly lean, healthy, somewhat muscular, and fairly strong.

This is all subjective. I used to be very hardcore (see BB Bible thread). Now I'm an "in shape"/recreational runner/fitness buff sorta guy. And I'm having the time of my life being so.

By the way, does anyone here thing I'd be so retarded that I'd recommend people like Alexeyev, Hugh Cassidy, Steve Reeves, Michael Johnson, Jeremey Wariner, and John Grimek, and thousands of other stellar athletes, lifters, and BBers to use TBT because they are/were ordinary?

Yeah, like a 99.9...% majority.