T Nation

TBT Volume Progression

I’ve been having trouble sticking to the progression on the TBT program. I must be screwing it up somewhere. On the one hand, we’re supposed to be increasing volume by around 2% each workout and stick with the set and rep scheme given by CW.

On the other hand, we’re supposed to be picking a weight that makes it tough to do the last rep of the last set for each exercise.

The issue is that I often have to increase the load by 15-30% in order to make the last rep of the last set even difficult.

An example: Monday, I dead lifted 185 lbs for 4 sets of 5 reps. Volume then for this workout was 3700. According to the program, today’s volume should be 3774 (a 2% increase.) At 4 sets of 8 reps that means I should be pulling 118 lbs. So I start with 120 and it’s really easy, bump the next one to 135 and that’s pretty easy, and do the last two sets at 155. That means my volume was actually 4520, or a 22% increase in volume.

Here’s the problem: I can’t keep that volume when I get to next Wednesday and am supposed to pull 4800 over 2 sets of 8. That works out to 2 sets of 8 at 300 lbs. I haven’t tried it, but I really doubt that this is attainable (I’ve been training for a month now and never pulled over 210 before.)

What am I missing? Also, this is occurring across the exercises I’m doing in the program, not just the dead lift.

The way I understand it the volume progression is built into the program, you dont have to ‘do’ anything other than follow it as perscribed. Its the load that you have to increase by 2%. You can look at it as being broken down into 2 week blocks, day 1 of week 1 and 2 is 3 x 5 for example, day 1 of weeks 3 and 4 is 4 x 5. That is the volume increase.

Forum member ‘sterno’ had created and posted excel/pdf sheets of his program that made it easier to follow. You may want to do a search, I will also attempt to attach it to the post but I dont think those type of files come thru.

When it says increase the load by 2% per workout, it means that you should increase the next 4X5 workout by 2%.

You have different loads for each of the set/rep schemes. You shouldn’t be using the same load for 4X5 as you are using for 2X15.

Thanks guys. That makes more sense. Guess I’ll start over.

What an absolutely terrible way to write this…

I think you’re confusing load with volume? You want to add 2% to the weight that’s on the bar…not to the total volume (volume is: sets * reps * weight [weight and load are the same thing here]).

Maybe someone should post a T-glossary for new trainees.

[quote]wokeuptiedup wrote:
I think you’re confusing load with volume? You want to add 2% to the weight that’s on the bar…not to the total volume (sets * reps * weight).

Maybe someone should post a T-glossary for new trainees.[/quote]

That’s a good point. I was confusing the two. This is still a pain in the butt though, as it calls for adding 1.5-3.5 pounds to each of my lifts each week and the plates aren’t that small. I guess I better hope my noob gains hold up for a while until I can start military pressing 200 lbs.

Example: I’m military pressing 45 lbs 3x15 tomorrow. 2% increase means I’m supposed to do 45.9 lbs next time. The smallest increment I can add is 5 lbs and that would be an 11% increase.