T Nation

TBT Strength Only Routine?

What is a good 3 day per week Total Body Training for Strength-only routine?

Most programs here are for size and I could not find any.

My objective is to take it and adapt it in order to do a Chest Specialization for mass, 3 day per week. Most probably based on the HSS-100. The other 3 days I will work the rest of the body (no chest) for strength.

Maybe you can point me to resources about strength-only training?

I did search this site but I could not find any. Maybe some other site specializes in it?

Try this:

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

Hi guy - Not to sound like a Cosgrove fanboy, but I have made more progress with the stuff from his new book than anything in memory.

Go to a book store and flip to the back and look at the strength routines. I have to say though, that I have made great progress in strength using his Hypertrophy routines. I bet once you look at the workouts, you buy the book.

[quote]hankr wrote:
Hi guy - Not to sound like a Cosgrove fanboy, but I have made more progress with the stuff from his new book than anything in memory.
[/quote]

wich book is that?

Avoiding size in certain areas, while gaining size in others, is just a matter of controling volume.

You’ll obviously be overreaching on the chest volume, to cause a rebound effect with growth. So keep the movement simple and heavy, with low volume for the other bodyparts.

Try keeping the total number of reps for each exercise under 25, with a relatively high intensity. You can try 3x3, 3x5, 5x3, 4x4. As long as it doesn’t add up to over 25 reps, you shouldn’t see much hypertrophy.

Hit 3 sessions a week, with 4-5 different movements a session, changing the reps up each week.

Roy

[quote]Roy wrote:
Try keeping the total number of reps for each exercise under 25, with a relatively high intensity. You can try 3x3, 3x5, 5x3, 4x4. As long as it doesn’t add up to over 25 reps, you shouldn’t see much hypertrophy.
[/quote]
Just to make sure. Under 25 reps per exercise, per training session? So if I do 3 strength workouts per week, I should have total less than 75 reps per week per exercise. Correct?

[quote]Roy wrote:
Hit 3 sessions a week, with 4-5 different movements a session, changing the reps up each week.[/quote]
I want to combine this strength training for non-chest muscles with TC’s HSS-100-Chest specialization for mass. Which is 3 times per week. Can I do the strength workouts in only 2 days, or I really have to go 3 times?

Thanks

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
hankr wrote:

wich book is that?[/quote]

The New Rules of Lifting

I have gone from 236 last July 13th to 201.5 yesterday AM using just three workouts (modified to suit my gym and own needs, of course) from this book. I alternated a couple of fat burning programs with a hypertrophy program.

More important than the specific workouts I think are the methodologies, which enable you to put together your own programs.

To the OP - Please take a look. I think you will find what you need there. Amazon has it up in searchable format, so you can look inside without even leaving the house.

[quote]BobPit wrote:
What is a good 3 day per week Total Body Training for Strength-only routine?

Most programs here are for size and I could not find any.

My objective is to take it and adapt it in order to do a Chest Specialization for mass, 3 day per week. Most probably based on the HSS-100. The other 3 days I will work the rest of the body (no chest) for strength.
[/quote]

If you wanna get strong go to the westside barbell site, read everything on there and then construct your training regime

[quote]BobPit wrote:
Just to make sure. Under 25 reps per exercise, per training session? So if I do 3 strength workouts per week, I should have total less than 75 reps per week per exercise. Correct?

I want to combine this strength training for non-chest muscles with TC’s HSS-100-Chest specialization for mass. Which is 3 times per week. Can I do the strength workouts in only 2 days, or I really have to go 3 times?

Thanks
[/quote]

Let me clarify. Say you do 4 movements on tuesday, for your fullbody strength training. Just for an example; Squat, GHR, Pull-up, and Clean. For each exercise, you want to stay under 25. I’d say around 15 reps would be ideal.

So you would have 15 reps for squat, 15 for GHR, 15 for pull-up, and 15 for the clean.

Now on ANOTHER day of the week, you would want to use 4 different movements, that of course try and spare the chest/front deltoids. Again, those 4 new movements would want to stay under 25 reps each, yet adopting a different rep scheme.

So you could have two fullbody strength days a week, tuesday and thursday. Tuesday could be 3x3 day, and thursday could be 5x4 day. They would both use different exercises and different rep schemes, while still both staying under 25 total reps per exercises.

And to the second question, yes two days could be enough, you might want to bump it up to 5-6 exercises if that’s the case.

Try the strength focused mesocycle, by Chad Waterbury. This is also my next routine.

Roy

Thank you. It is very clear now.

1. I thought that strength training is frequent intense lifting for the same exercise. So why use different exercises for each workout of the week?
  2. If I use 3 strength-workouts per week, do I also need to use different exercises for each workout, with different rep schemes?
  3. The chest specialization will work chest and front deltoids. But also triceps. So can I do Military press at my strength workouts?

elliotnewman1

I will visit and study the westside barbell site. Thanks.

hankr

I did find the book on Amazon. I just don’t want to spend money on another book, I have plenty.

Guys, after following your advice, I will create 2 programs. One for 2-day and one for 3-day strength workouts. I will post them here and hope for your feedback.

Thanks

[quote]Woppa wrote:
Try this:

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm[/quote]

amen

Bill Starr, cant go wrong.

Also look into the advanced/periodization schem rather than the interm/linear one.

1. I thought that strength training is frequent intense lifting for the same exercise. So why use different exercises for each workout of the week?
  2. If I use 3 strength-workouts per week, do I also need to use different exercises for each workout, with different rep schemes? (This is what Chad does at his Strength mesocycle program).
  3. The chest specialization will work chest, front deltoids and triceps. So can I do Military press at my strength workouts?

Bill Star’s program is great. But it is aimed for size and strength.

[quote]Maldoror wrote:
Try the strength focused mesocycle, by Chad Waterbury. This is also my next routine.[/quote]

I was waiting for somebody to advise this article, as soon as i saw the title i was waiting for this.