TBT Questions

Hi guys!

I have just completed ABBH and i’ve been doing it for 6 weeks. I am content with results and wanna give a try to another Waterbury’s gem - TBT.

I picked the plan from his book and have modified it a little bit. Here is how my plan looks:

Day1:

BB back squat
Standing calf raise
Chin-up
Dip
Back extension
Ab wheel

Day2:

Romanian deadlift
BB incline bench press
Bent-over row
Push press
BB triceps extension
Calve Presses in Leg-Press Machine

Day3:

BB front squat
Reverse crunch
BB flat bench press
Seated row
BB Upright Row
BB Bicep Curl

My main concern about the plan outline is - is the first day too tough? Doing chins, dips and squat the same day - is it ok if i would stick to set/reps recommendations?

I am thinking of adding regular deadlift to the plan - what do you think would be the best to add it? Which exercise to substitute for?

The last question: do you think it is ok to add some forearms work in one or two days?

Thanks!

First, don’t modify programs if you’re a newb. Do them as written. How can you know what works for you if you haven’t tried it yet?

Second, ab training is not part of a training session, it’s like icing on the cake afterwards. It should not be counted as one of your main movements.

Chins, dips, and squats is tough day. Put 150% into that day, and you’ll feel like you’ve had the best work out of your life. That said, forget the back extension. Why not try a DB romainian deadlift? oops, see you have that somewhere else in there. a Glute ham raise might work. A good morning would be an option as well.

Deadlift might be good on the 3x5 day. But it’s really up to you.

Think of it this way: take 5 minutes at the end of training session as free time. Do whatever you what during that time (including forearms.

Thank you answering, boyscout. I am not a complete newb and have some experience in lifting weights. Far from intermediate though.

Well, i modified it a bit, because i just ended ABBH and i was front-squatting for the same rep-set scheme, so i substituted it with back squat and moved front squat to the place where back squat was originally (day3).

About ab training: i know, that in the original thread on TBT Chad presented a sample program and ab training wasn’t there. However, in the version of sample workout which i found in the book, there are both ab-wheel and reverse crunches.

What do you mean by 150%?

About back extension - do you mean ditch any lower-back exercise completely from that day because of its toughness, or substitute it with say good morning?

Scout, what do you think about exercise pairings for antagonistic movements? Did i pair them near to correct?

I gave it a try today. Wow, i haven’t felt so sore for long time! I can really say that i worked out!

boyscout, thanks for advising good morning. I tried it today and it rocks.

[quote]Zluke wrote:
Thank you answering, boyscout. I am not a complete newb and have some experience in lifting weights. Far from intermediate though.

Well, i modified it a bit, because i just ended ABBH and i was front-squatting for the same rep-set scheme, so i substituted it with back squat and moved front squat to the place where back squat was originally (day3).

About ab training: i know, that in the original thread on TBT Chad presented a sample program and ab training wasn’t there. However, in the version of sample workout which i found in the book, there are both ab-wheel and reverse crunches.

What do you mean by 150%?

About back extension - do you mean ditch any lower-back exercise completely from that day because of its toughness, or substitute it with say good morning?[/quote]

I meant sub it with a good morning, but it’s really up to you. I feel the good morning in my glutes and hams more than low back.

And by 150% I mean you give you complete all to a session. No pussyfooting around.

[quote]Zluke wrote:
Scout, what do you think about exercise pairings for antagonistic movements? Did i pair them near to correct?[/quote]

Yes and no.

I think you’re good caught up on the core movement things.

Chins and dips, yes (pull and pressing upper body, basically, that’s good)

Squats would be paired with something like a good morning or back extension or GHR or deadlift variation (not full deads from the floor, rack pulls might be an option).

Make sense?

yup, thanks!