TBG Has a Cat

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
Kittens play rather than kill most of the time. If you want to encourage her to kill the mouse, feed her less than normal and she might look for food on her own.

How is the cat with your kid (considering getting on for my kid in a few years)?[/quote]

She’s not a kitten. And I adopted her after her show career at age 3, so she wasn’t really “socialized” as a pet. And, she’s a Bengal and they have a bit of a different personality, more of a feral nature. So, she’s not your typical cat. Therefore, she’s definitely not a “lap cat” but she does like to snuggle up to me (on her terms only). She LOVES my son and let’s him do things to her that even I can’t, but she is also sometimes intolerant of him too and will take a swipe at him but won’t dare swipe at me (I’ll kick her little ass), but she usually does this from self defense when he won’t leave her alone (again, her terms).

I don’t think small children and animals mix. Children can be unintentionally tough on an animal and cats are not usually tolerant of that. The upside is, unlike a dog, they can’t do too much physical damage to a child. I would just say what I’d tell anyone…always supervise small children and animals…no matter how much you think you trust the animal. [/quote]

Understand. I have two older cats (16+) and my kid interacts with one well, the other there are good times and bad (though she used to guard our kid when she was a baby and come howling for me is the baby cried and I was out of the room - tail pulling stopped some of that). The more tolerant one has only a few teeth and cannot do much damage. Once our kid was old enough we watch the other cat but the occasional small scratch on the hand is a lesson about animals.

I think you are missing the point. The cat understands that this is not a 1820’s or 1920’s mouse that had no genetic ability to fight off everything under the sun and whos only predator was the wayward alley cat or a old woman with a broom.

This is a 21st century mouse. Who outlived every poison man could create who’s ancestor sprinkled DDT over its cheese and then had sex in the kitchen for 10hrs. Your cat is trying to make peace with the 4 legged Son of the dammed.

Kill that fucker with Extreme Prejudice. Don’t just send your dog in there send him in with a Gurka Khukari and a AR-15. Then if he comes out. Pack and move just incase the little bastard got off a emergency signal to its kin.

Then when your safe go back and burn the neighborhood to the ground.

[quote]four60 wrote:
I think you are missing the point. The cat understands that this is not a 1820’s or 1920’s mouse that had no genetic ability to fight off everything under the sun and whos only predator was the wayward alley cat or a old woman with a broom.

This is a 21st century mouse. Who outlived every poison man could create who’s ancestor sprinkled DDT over its cheese and then had sex in the kitchen for 10hrs. Your cat is trying to make peace with the 4 legged Son of the dammed.

Kill that fucker with Extreme Prejudice. Don’t just send your dog in there send him in with a Gurka Khukari and a AR-15. Then if he comes out. Pack and move just incase the little bastard got off a emergency signal to its kin.

Then when your safe go back and burn the neighborhood to the ground.[/quote]

hahaha, This is awesome.

Bengals are beautiful animals. They’re expensive as fuck, too.

It’s odd that she won’t at least beat it up a bit, especially since females tend to be better hunters than male cats.

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
Some cats need training.

Put the cat in a tied up bag, with holes, in a bathtub full of water. [/quote]

I fixed your post :)[/quote]

Now that’s cruel… I just shoot cats when they aren’t any good and get a new one. There are plenty of cats in the world.

I have had some great cats. One loved to hangout when we slaughtered pigs. The cat would lap up the blood and eat kidneys we threw it. That cat murdered everything is sight. He was also house trained like a dog.

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
Kittens play rather than kill most of the time. If you want to encourage her to kill the mouse, feed her less than normal and she might look for food on her own.

How is the cat with your kid (considering getting on for my kid in a few years)?[/quote]

She’s not a kitten. And I adopted her after her show career at age 3, so she wasn’t really “socialized” as a pet. And, she’s a Bengal and they have a bit of a different personality, more of a feral nature. So, she’s not your typical cat. Therefore, she’s definitely not a “lap cat” but she does like to snuggle up to me (on her terms only). She LOVES my son and let’s him do things to her that even I can’t, but she is also sometimes intolerant of him too and will take a swipe at him but won’t dare swipe at me (I’ll kick her little ass), but she usually does this from self defense when he won’t leave her alone (again, her terms).

I don’t think small children and animals mix. Children can be unintentionally tough on an animal and cats are not usually tolerant of that. The upside is, unlike a dog, they can’t do too much physical damage to a child. I would just say what I’d tell anyone…always supervise small children and animals…no matter how much you think you trust the animal. [/quote]

Understand. I have two older cats (16+) and my kid interacts with one well, the other there are good times and bad (though she used to guard our kid when she was a baby and come howling for me is the baby cried and I was out of the room - tail pulling stopped some of that). The more tolerant one has only a few teeth and cannot do much damage. Once our kid was old enough we watch the other cat but the occasional small scratch on the hand is a lesson about animals.[/quote]

When my son is upset, the cat actually becomes distressed. It’s kinda cute. She loves him, she’s just a bit intolerant in general, but like I said, she’ll let him handle her in ways she does not approve of from me and I fed the bitch for years. LOL

Some cats need training.

Put the cat in a bathtub with a wounded live mouse. The instincts will kick in.[/quote]

She was pursuing/hunting it just fine. She was on the prowl yesterday in the kitchen and I knew we had a mouse at that point by her behavior. She just won’t KILL it. [/quote]

Have you let her play with a dead one?

[quote]four60 wrote:

LOL We ARE the neighborhood!

I’m sending in the dog.

“Hell’s comin”.

The whole fucking thing seems so beneath this icy cold deliverer of death though.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
Bengals are beautiful animals. They’re expensive as fuck, too.

It’s odd that she won’t at least beat it up a bit, especially since females tend to be better hunters than male cats.[/quote]

I paid like $400 for her even at that age and she was fixed of course so I could never breed her. My mom as 3, all of whom had won ribbons and championships. Her male is about as impressive feline you’ll ever see. He’s a Tnation Cat if you ever saw him. Large, lean, muscular…just an impressive looking fucker.

It IS odd b/c I hear they’re quite the hunters. We had a family friend I heard let his outside/inside and the fucker eradicated all small animals for a 1/2 mile radius. No more squirrels. LOL

And here I am…one fucking mouse…and I have NO fucking idea where it is right now in my room and this bitch is laying here next to me on my bed like there isn’t a mouse in this room. FML and fuck her. I think I just heard her snore a bit.

Some cats need training.

Put the cat in a tied up bag, with holes, in a bathtub full of water. [/quote]

I fixed your post :)[/quote]

Now that’s cruel… I just shoot cats when they aren’t any good and get a new one. There are plenty of cats in the world.

I have had some great cats. One loved to hangout when we slaughtered pigs. The cat would lap up the blood and eat kidneys we threw it. That cat murdered everything is sight. He was also house trained like a dog.
[/quote]

I jest :slight_smile:

But that sounds like my kind of cat.

Something about this thread…

Ah… dunno…

Hey, anyone else craving Chinese?

[quote]four60 wrote:

LOL We ARE the neighborhood!

I’m sending in the dog.

“Hell’s comin”.

The whole fucking thing seems so beneath this icy cold deliverer of death though.
[/quote]
hahah, Yeah I know. But I can see two guys in Europe saying the same thing 100’s of years ago about that harmless mouse sitting on the floor. Just before the Black Death rolled in.

This mouse is goibg to fuck your dog up too.

Her male is about as impressive feline you’ll ever see. He’s a Tnation Cat if you ever saw him. Large, lean, muscular…just an impressive looking fucker.
[/quote]

I have found that male cats tend to have better/bigger personalities. I will definitely keep this breed in mind.

Don’t feed the fucking cat for a couple days. It will then hunt and kill the mouse.

It’s just not hungry right now, so it’s playing with its food.

(I’m the Jewish guy, and I’m the only one who grew up on a farm? We had near-feral cats in the barn to kill snakes. When we needed to get rid of the snakes, no food for cats. Not complex.)

Given that it mostly ignored the mouse I would say X2 on feeding it less.

This is anecdotal, but I have heard that if a cat does not get much experience with prey it will tend to avoid killing, in favour of more practice.

My own cat did the same thing with flies and mosquitoes that occasionally snuck in the house, chasing them around, swatting them and then letting them go.

But when a door was left open and a bunch came in it seemed like he finished them off a lot more quickly.

If she’s an ex-show cat, the instinct to kill has probably been pampered and bred out of her. I doubt starving her is going to do much because she’s still surrounded by people who she associates with food.

Cats are far less food-motivated than dogs…

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

Her male is about as impressive feline you’ll ever see. He’s a Tnation Cat if you ever saw him. Large, lean, muscular…just an impressive looking fucker.
[/quote]

I have found that male cats tend to have better/bigger personalities. I will definitely keep this breed in mind.[/quote]

There are a few other exotic breeds that are quite impressive too. Look up Savannah (sp?). They are like small fucking dogs I hear.

[quote]roybot wrote:

Cats are far less food-motivated than dogs…[/quote]

I do def agree with this. I can tame the baddest meanest dog with food.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
Don’t feed the fucking cat for a couple days. It will then hunt and kill the mouse.

It’s just not hungry right now, so it’s playing with its food.

(I’m the Jewish guy, and I’m the only one who grew up on a farm? We had near-feral cats in the barn to kill snakes. When we needed to get rid of the snakes, no food for cats. Not complex.)[/quote]

I didn’t grow up on a farm, but I worked on farms as a teen. One in particular had near-feral cats to keep the mice down. But every year or so the cat populace would increase to the point where the cats were starving. So the farmer would harvest all the new litters, place them into a feedbag, and drown them in a utility sink full of water.