T Nation

Taxes

Hi to all
in my country this is time to pay the taxes of the last year…

as every year come and go i’m always asking why the hell i still work… a really big percenteage of my money go in taxes…

now cause “if athen cry sparta doesn’t smile” i m here to ask to you T-reader who lives around the world… which is the percenteage of your income that flow in taxes?

If you include indirect taxes and social security systems, 70%.

Fuck them…

[quote]orion wrote:
If you include indirect taxes and social security systems, 70%.

Fuck them…
[/quote]

That’s why I don’t live in Austia.

Hspder will probably chime in and tell you that 70% is a very healthy rate, and you should just see the big picture instead of worrying about your own little existence.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
orion wrote:
If you include indirect taxes and social security systems, 70%.

Fuck them…

That’s why I don’t live in Austia.

Hspder will probably chime in and tell you that 70% is a very healthy rate, and you should just see the big picture instead of worrying about your own little existence.[/quote]

You would make a ton of money, 60% of all tax law literature is published in German.

Hard to say, but I would guess that it hits somewhere between 40% and 50% when you add FICA, Social Security/Medicare, state taxes and local taxes.

All the little taxes add up: gas tax, car registration, hunting and/or fishing license, hotel tax, tolls on public roads and bridges, liquor tax, cigarette tax, property tax, home title fees, and all the other targeted or “hidden” taxes. With no state income tax on half of our family income (one job is out-of-state), I’m guessing our total tax rate is slightly under 50%.

When you factor in sales tax, it goes to around 40%. If you add in how much I spend on medical insurance, more like 50%.

AMT makes sure I can not deduct all of my real estate taxes nor my mortgage interest.

My tax rate is well above 50%.

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
AMT makes sure I can not deduct all of my real estate taxes nor my mortgage interest.
[/quote]

AMT is a travesty.

Once one starts paying more than 50% of one’s salary to the government, it really diminishes one’s desire to work.

And it becomes a lot less attractive to hire people to do things like mow the yard, or perform other services, when you know that you have to earn $40 to pay a kid to mow the lawn for $20.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
orion wrote:
If you include indirect taxes and social security systems, 70%.

Fuck them…

That’s why I don’t live in Austia.

Hspder will probably chime in and tell you that 70% is a very healthy rate, and you should just see the big picture instead of worrying about your own little existence.[/quote]

Ha ha…yea…then he’ll launch into a tirade about how great Bill Clinton was. And how we are actually under taxed…Oh I can’t wait.

Let’s concentrate on income taxes.
I’m don’t want to know how much your fishing permit costs.
What % of your income goes to taxes.
I’ll fill in my form tomorrow or the day after.

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
Let’s concentrate on income taxes.
I’m don’t want to know how much your fishing permit costs.
What % of your income goes to taxes.
I’ll fill in my form tomorrow or the day after.
[/quote]

A tax is a tax. It is your money that the govenment takes from you. It shouldn’t matter how you classify it.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
And it becomes a lot less attractive to hire people to do things like mow the yard, or perform other services, when you know that you have to earn $40 to pay a kid to mow the lawn for $20.[/quote]

Errrr… If you do things legally you can actually deduct the salary you pay the kid from your gross income, hence you really only need to earn $20 to pay the kid to mow the lawn for the $20.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
rainjack wrote:
orion wrote:
If you include indirect taxes and social security systems, 70%.

Fuck them…

That’s why I don’t live in Austia.

Hspder will probably chime in and tell you that 70% is a very healthy rate, and you should just see the big picture instead of worrying about your own little existence.

Ha ha…yea…then he’ll launch into a tirade about how great Bill Clinton was. And how we are actually under taxed…Oh I can’t wait.[/quote]

Live in your own little worlds all you want and put any words you want in my mouth… I really don’t care. I’ve explained my position many times before, and you continue to completely distort it – so I won’t bore you with it any more, don’t worry. To quote your most favorite Book, it’s like throwing pearls to pigs.

After all, what matters is that I pay under 15% of my average $500k a year income in taxes. And yes, with “taxes” I’m including SS, Health Insurance, Sales Tax, Property Tax and all that stuff. Your dear Mr. Bush has made such things possible for poor little guys like me… and because he’s such an incompetent fool, I don’t feel compelled to pay more than I owe or write checks to pay off public debt, like I did when Clinton was president. In fact, I must thank Bush personally for allowing me to take advantage of every single deduction I can find without a guilty conscience. He’s really such a nice man for that.

So, clearly, I have no reason to complain – I shall just laugh all the way to the bank about your little existence… and revel in the fact that you are the first victims of your own mental retardation.

And yes, Zeb, I am being a condescending prick. Yes, on purpose. I also took your bait on purpose, by the way. You deserve nothing less, my friend.

[quote]hspder wrote:
nephorm wrote:
And it becomes a lot less attractive to hire people to do things like mow the yard, or perform other services, when you know that you have to earn $40 to pay a kid to mow the lawn for $20.

Errrr… If you do things legally you can actually deduct the salary you pay the kid from your gross income, hence you really only need to earn $20 to pay the kid to mow the lawn for the $20.[/quote]

Subject to a 2.5% floor, and assuming you haven’t already hit the AMT - in which case 20 bucks will cost you 40.

I just checked my paystub. All my statutory deductions total 25.3%. No state, no local, no sales tax. Live free or die.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Subject to a 2.5% floor, and assuming you haven’t already hit the AMT - in which case 20 bucks will cost you 40. [/quote]

Currently only about 2% of taxpayers pay AMT. I’m pretty sure nephorm is not one of them. And before you say “well, that number is expected to increase fairly quickly”, I must point out that the GOP has had the power and opportunity to change it dramatically or make it go away completely for almost a decade and has neglected to do so. So don’t blame me or the “liberals” if you guys continue to mindlessly vote Republican and in 5 years that % rises to – oh my! – 10%.

[quote]hspder wrote:
ZEB wrote:
rainjack wrote:
orion wrote:
If you include indirect taxes and social security systems, 70%.

Fuck them…

That’s why I don’t live in Austia.

Hspder will probably chime in and tell you that 70% is a very healthy rate, and you should just see the big picture instead of worrying about your own little existence.

Ha ha…yea…then he’ll launch into a tirade about how great Bill Clinton was. And how we are actually under taxed…Oh I can’t wait.

Live in your own little worlds all you want and put any words you want in my mouth… I really don’t care. I’ve explained my position many times before, and you continue to completely distort it – so I won’t bore you with it any more, don’t worry. To quote your most favorite Book, it’s like throwing pearls to pigs.

After all, what matters is that I pay under 15% of my average $500k a year income in taxes. And yes, with “taxes” I’m including SS, Health Insurance, Sales Tax, Property Tax and all that stuff. Your dear Mr. Bush has made such things possible for poor little guys like me… and because he’s such an incompetent fool, I don’t feel compelled to pay more than I owe or write checks to pay off public debt, like I did when Clinton was president. In fact, I must thank Bush personally for allowing me to take advantage of every single deduction I can find without a guilty conscience. He’s really such a nice man for that.

So, clearly, I have no reason to complain – I shall just laugh all the way to the bank about your little existence… and revel in the fact that you are the first victims of your own mental retardation.

And yes, Zeb, I am being a condescending prick. Yes, on purpose. I also took your bait on purpose, by the way. You deserve nothing less, my friend.
[/quote]

Thank you for the drivel, you didn’t let us down.

You even mentioned Clinton…

:wink:

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Thank you for the drivel, you didn’t let us down.

You even mentioned Clinton…

;)[/quote]

You’re welcome. Glad to be of service… Now that I satisfied your request, will you go on your merry way and let the grown ups have an intelligent discussion for a change? Please?

I could have lived off the government for the last 18 years. Qualifying as fully disabled, I could have food, shelter and medical paid for. It would not be a good living, but it would all be paid.

I have chosen to work. This has saved the US gov’t thousands and thousands of dollars. What thanks do I get? NONE - There are no income tax incentive whatsover for a disabled person to work full time.

I’m just taxed as a single white male. A disabled person who works full time could be TOTALLY INCOME TAX EXEMPT and that would still save the gov’t many thousands of dollars yearly.

:confused: