Tax Cuts: Good or Nah?

For those (much like myself) whom have tried to give this all some careful thought…I really don’t care what the rich do or do not get. The Kochs, or Gates or Buffet or the Trump’s don’t pay my Bills.

What concerns me most is the GOP’s “fulfilling of their next promise” of “cutting spending” which will disproportionately affect low and middle income peoples in an attempt to offset the huge deceases in revenue.

I think hoping that Corporations will go on some huge hiring spree and invest Billions in distressed communities because Trump and the GOP say it will is bullshit of the highest order.

We’ll see…

4 Likes

It is BS because the problem in distressed communities isn’t the unemployment because of a lack of jobs. That’s what we’re told by people who are either ignorant of the reality or have an interest in lying. The problem is a population, and this is a generalization, that is difficult to educate and is unemployable. But it is cheaper to just throw a few welfare dollars at them than it is to invest in educating them and instilling the values social skills required to succeed in this country.

3 Likes

Who ever said that this would happen?

Even in the most ideal scenario, the only people they would help would be their employees, who more than likely do not live in distressed communities, and if they do, probably won’t for very long.

Is that a serious question, SkyzykS?

Have you been listening to Trump?

“Jobs, jobs, jobs!”
“Bringing jobs BACK!”
“Making America GREAT Again!”

This is not being sold as a “If you are employed…this will help you out a little…” Bill.

This is an excellent rundown of the changes for individuals.

Also, this is a really interesting clip. Affluent people in CA will see a 60% + increase in their state tax bill! Blue CA will likely see a lot more wealthy people decide to move their primary residence to another state.

Also, some info about how this will help families trying to pay for private K-12 tuition. More school choice.

About 5 min.

Not so sure about that. Blue CA is where the economic action is, not to mention educational, cultural and recreational resources. Silicon Valley, Stanford, Cal Tech, Hollywood and Yosemite National Park ain’t moving to Alabama anytime soon, and neither I’d wager are the people associated with these entities.

1 Like

Yes. Specific to the part I quoted.

Who ever said anything about corporations helping distressed communities?

This is the type of hyperbole that takes things from misunderstood to maligned.

Reminds me of when the Vegas shooting happened and my super lefty until you get near his paycheck cousin started ranting about how bad it was that republicans are taking away health care while promoting gun violence which results in gunshot victims being turned away from the ER.<---- Never fucking happens.

So I asked him for specifics, like I’m doing now, at which point he filled his diaper and called me an alt right neo skinhead racist ignorant everything else he could come up with- Except for proof of his assertion.

So yes, Specifically- Who said that?

If it weren’t for Silicon Valley, we’d be SUNK. Really. And you know where a lot of them are now keeping their money, right? Apple in Ireland, and so forth. I’ve said this before, but nearly every boat in the harbor here is registered in the Bahamas, or is an LLC registered in another state. And we’re constantly in terrible economic straits here. Budget crisis every time there’s any economic downturn, because it’s so poorly managed.

Affluent people have been net migrants OUT for years now, turning surrounding states purple as they leave. You have only to look at Nevada, Colorado, Oregon, Arizona…

@ Hollywood. Notice how many movies are now made in Canada or North Carolina or somewhere else that’s cheaper? Yeah. The entertainment industry, run by liberals, also votes with it’s feet. It’s a joke. These Hollywood stars who speak at the DNC? They likely have their primary residence in Aspen.

We’d have a net LOSS in citizens if it weren’t for immigration across our southern border and births.

California has by far the highest state income tax. We have the highest capital gains tax. Our corporate state income tax is the highest west of Iowa – our economic competitors.

In addition, CA has the highest statewide sales tax. Our homeowner median property tax bill is 93% higher than the average for the other 49 states. Our CA total gasoline taxes are essentially tied with Pennsylvania as the highest in the nation. Our motor vehicle registration fees are higher than average. Our traffic tickets are literally TRIPLE the average of the other 49 states.

And yet our CA highway system is rated ninth worst in the nation. We have the roads of a third world country here.

1 Like

Trump did. When he went to distressed communities during the campaign and told them he would be bringing their jobs back, often times explicitly saying by lowering taxes.

Nah.

This=Shis=Shit.

See how that works? Thats why when I hear that somebody said something I like to see a clip or a direct quote, preferably in context.

Companies just got an enormous (and permanent) tax cut, so they’ll all come running back (in theory that is). It’s the people of CA who got screwed over, not the companies.

Which was deductible (and thus not as painful) until…you know.

Trump did…in every rust belt and depressed Coal community he could find.

1 Like

States like West Virginia, North Dakota and Michigan are topping the GDP growth charts since DJT took office. Whether it’s Trump’s doing or not the answer to “are you better off than you were 4 years ago?” Will be “yes” for those deplorable voters in rust belt states (if the trend continues).

https://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regional/gdp_state/qgsp_newsrelease.htm

Yeah, but…

(insert gripe here)

It will be no because their problems are more than short term economic well-being, or the perception of it. Let’s see what their children’s future will be like.

Eh, my mom’s side in WV have posted enough videos on fb from rallies when he was in the area. If you’d like to be informed, it’s a simple google search away.

Repeated promises to bring back jobs like coal, by “enabling” corporations to run again and revitalize places like coal country that are never coming back.

Re: WV/MI, it’s pretty damn easier to show a larger % increase when your GDP is already total garbage. If you have numbers showing they’re anywhere near an absolute value increase top of the list I’d absolutely love to see it

2 Likes

You can do your own homework but Trump basically ran on this so not sure if you just weren’t watching or what. It’s really really easy to google this stuff unless you’re going to try and play a semantics game with it. But if sincere it’s easy to find. Coal, steel, carrier, hammer pants, pet rock, we’re bringing it ALL back.

Don’t forget “BLOCKBUSTER”, H! (Oh…I forgot…they sold a lot of Hollywood shit…so probably not on Trump’s “Make Great Again” list…)

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/345369-how-west-virginia-got-to-3-percent-gdp-growth

But the main driver of West Virginia’s growth, rising global prices, is entirely out of Trump’s control. No president is powerful enough to impact the cost of a ton of metallurgical coal or a cubic foot of natural gas on the international market.

Despite its strong quarter, West Virginia still faces steeper demographic and economic challenges.

The median age of a West Virginia resident is 42.2 years old, older than all but three New England states; an older population both works less and relies on social services like healthcare more. More than one in six state residents live below the poverty line, higher than all but seven states.

And so much of West Virginia’s economy is dependent on coal and gas mining that economists worry that another commodity slump would send the state right back down to the depths of a new recession.

1 Like

Well you’re not necessarily wrong there. But on the other hand for a lot of people it boils down to “make THEM pay!”