Tax Cuts: Good or Nah?

It had to be a comedian!

Anybody that has ever been told to do something that can/will cost them their life in the course of their daily work routine while being told “That safety stuff is bullshit and costs too much” could have guessed that!

But with the tax cut just imagine how much more wealth of this guy will trickle down. Before this taxes were so high it just couldn’t trickle. Now it’s about to be raining wealth to the people ATT doesn’t fire.

https://www.google.com/amp/deadline.com/2017/03/att-ceo-randall-stephenson-2016-compensation-1202041171/amp/

@Mufasa

Also, WJB’s famous “Cross of Gold” alludes to its basic premise:

“There are those who believe that if you will only legislate to make the well-to-do prosperous their prosperity will leak through on those below. The Democratic idea, however, has been that if you legislate to make the masses prosperous their prosperity will find its way up through every class which rests upon them.”

That wasn’t about supply side tax cutting, but this “if-then” idea that if we do right by the rich and powerful, then the middling classes will prosper, has been around for a long time.

Is it a coincidence that they also promote something known as the Laffer Curve?

Thanks, TB!

(“WJB”?)

Not sure if you know this and were asking something different … William Jennings Bryant…

1 Like

A customary glance into the majority of Latin American countries is all the proof one needs.

3 Likes

Yes, William Jennings Bryan, the old populist. Like, the real kind of populist. :wink:

Thanks, guys!

Without imploding yet. The article I had on unfunded pension liabilities in the EU is behind a pay wall. It is substantial, that I assure you.

Wait, you mean you guys don’t do that? I was gonna ask for advice on how to hide it from my girlfriend. Damn, that’s a shame.

1 Like

This is my distinction as well. The public/private distinction is far less important to me than the local/national/international question and the big/small question.

1 Like

People with teeth that don’t touch with a clenched jaw (my dad and GF). If you do it by choice, you are a degenerate.

1 Like

I never thought this forum was so flooded with Bernie Bros…

Supply side economics =/= trickle down economics… trickle down focuses on marginal rates of high income earners, supply side focuses on overall tax rates, specifically corporations to stimulate Long Run Economic Growth.

This tax bill is primarily corporate based and does not have significant cuts to top marginal tax rates like the previous Reagan cuts did. (Which I would argue makes the current bill substantially better for the countries long term economic prospects.)

Europe has an average corporate tax rate of 18%, this bill brought ours to 20%… what is so atrocious about that?

Supply side focuses on long term growth, this leads to a better world for our children and the next generation which isn’t really a bad thing…

2 Likes

I know you’ve probably seen this by now, but somebody liked a post of mine that was right next to this post and I had to chuckle. Pretty damn funny to include ATT bonuses

IIRC ATT plans to lay off ~10k workers over the next few years, but that number may have changed

I’m not really a Bernie Bro, its just that I build things. So I’m pretty sure we don’t just hang around building stuff just in case someone decides that they want one.

I know that does happen with some products though, like cars and such, but not everything.

1 Like

I would say your use of the word primarily and significant are both up for debate. They also happen to be one of the key reasons for me thinking it’s lukewarm legislation at best. At this opportunity cost more could have been done to fully simplify the tax code and target the tax incentives to greater middle class effect.

Also thinking that the giant loss in revenues of this is going to lead to future legislation that hurts the poor and middle class.

4 Likes

Unless you’re building “craft cocktails” and a Man Bun I don’t think that lumps you in with the Bernie Bros…

Also did you start building “things” because people needed them or because you would be able to take home a little money after building “things” for people?

It’s not, unless you think GHWB and Barry Goldwater were also Bernie Bros.

And this is where you have gotten it incorrect. There’s no evidence this works.

Asked and answered, multiple times. Their economic picture isn’t the same as ours. There are countervailing issues to the “hey, we’re just doing this to line up with them other countries” explanation.

Nope and nope - there’s no evidence that is true. Economic growth doesn’t move in lockstep with tax rates and supply side cuts don’t automatically translate into growth. Too many other variables.

4 Likes