T Nation

Tattoo Safety in the US

I have one tat that I got 6 years ago.

Nowadays, how safe are tattoo parlors? Specifically in NY. I went to a legit place that is well known.

How serious is the risk of contracting things like viral hepatitis at these places? I think I remember that they use an autoclave and the place was clean and everything opened in front of me.

thanks.

Tattoo parlors are considered fairly safe in the USA as a whole.

http://www.tattooartist.com/health.html

Check for shops that have sealed single use needles, and dispose of them after use. If I went to a place that still uses an autoclave, I’d turn right back around.

Tat shops are highly regulated and their certificates should be in plain sight.

[quote]biglifter wrote:
Check for shops that have sealed single use needles, and dispose of them after use. If I went to a place that still uses an autoclave, I’d turn right back around.[/quote]

The needles and tubes were opened infront of me. They have to put the machines in an autoclave or something similar since that machine is obviously not diposable.

I would say you’re pretty good to go as far as any parlors if you went to a tattoo party or had one done in someone’s house I wouldn’t risk it

I’ve seen nothing but perfect sterilization practices in the 5-6 shops I’ve been to…I’d say quite safe, at actual shops where they have the certs and all.

Obviously not Billy-Joe’s friend’s basement…

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
I’ve seen nothing but perfect sterilization practices in the 5-6 shops I’ve been to…I’d say quite safe, at actual shops where they have the certs and all.

Obviously not Billy-Joe’s friend’s basement…[/quote]

Agreed. In fact, over the time I’ve even paid attention (which has been at least 15 years), I have never seen a “dirty” tattoo shop. They seem to have pretty decent standards in most places.

Even still, I usually ask around to see who most people use. Then I looked at the work they did.

If I don’t like the artist, I won’t be getting it done.

I only have two though and haven’t gotten more because I am running out of “hideable” places to put them.

These links might help you get a handle of what is some of the best worked being done. You should be able to search NY tattoo artists.

http://www.bme.com/

This shop has been turning out really great art lately (unfortunately located in Hong Kong)

http://tattootemple.hk/

I have 5 large tats. But I must add that when you sit back and think with all the fear of germs and infections and such that I walk into a corner shop next to my fav titty bar and not just allow but pay to have a guy with no degree in any form of medicine stick me with a needle covered in ink for hours is nuts

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

Obviously not Billy-Joe’s friend’s basement…[/quote]

I only have two though and haven’t gotten more because I am running out of “hideable” places to put them.[/quote]

Running out of hideable places? What are you walking around wearing speedos all the time?

Any of you guys regret getting a tat? I want to get one but not till i can afford one and something i really want.

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:
Any of you guys regret getting a tat? I want to get one but not till i can afford one and something i really want.[/quote]

That’s why you don’t go too big on anything. Always leave the option for a cover later in life. Shit that’s cool at 18 might not be at 38.

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:
Any of you guys regret getting a tat? I want to get one but not till i can afford one and something i really want.[/quote]

If you are getting it for all the right reasons then it shouldn’t be a problem.

I would always tell people though wait till you are an adult and mature before you decide on getting one.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I only have two though and haven’t gotten more because I am running out of “hideable” places to put them.[/quote]

You already have a tramp stamp?

How about an anklet?

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:
If you are getting it for all the right reasons then it shouldn’t be a problem.

I would always tell people though wait till you are an adult and mature before you decide on getting one.[/quote]

Shit, I say just start out getting them in places that are almost always covered under shirt or pants, wait a while, and if you don’t have regrets, keep going. Just don’t get anything extreme, at least at first…gang affiliations, vulgar language, bands, people (other than maybe passed away family/friends), cuz those are the ones you may regret. And never go to a shop drunk. Though a good artist won’t ink you if you’re drunk anyways.

Be sure to triple check the spelling too!