Tattoo Safety in the US

I have one tat that I got 6 years ago.

Nowadays, how safe are tattoo parlors? Specifically in NY. I went to a legit place that is well known.

How serious is the risk of contracting things like viral hepatitis at these places? I think I remember that they use an autoclave and the place was clean and everything opened in front of me.

thanks.

Tattoo parlors are considered fairly safe in the USA as a whole.

http://www.tattooartist.com/health.html

Check for shops that have sealed single use needles, and dispose of them after use. If I went to a place that still uses an autoclave, I’d turn right back around.

Tat shops are highly regulated and their certificates should be in plain sight.

[quote]biglifter wrote:
Check for shops that have sealed single use needles, and dispose of them after use. If I went to a place that still uses an autoclave, I’d turn right back around.[/quote]

The needles and tubes were opened infront of me. They have to put the machines in an autoclave or something similar since that machine is obviously not diposable.

I would say you’re pretty good to go as far as any parlors if you went to a tattoo party or had one done in someone’s house I wouldn’t risk it

I’ve seen nothing but perfect sterilization practices in the 5-6 shops I’ve been to…I’d say quite safe, at actual shops where they have the certs and all.

Obviously not Billy-Joe’s friend’s basement…

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
I’ve seen nothing but perfect sterilization practices in the 5-6 shops I’ve been to…I’d say quite safe, at actual shops where they have the certs and all.

Obviously not Billy-Joe’s friend’s basement…[/quote]

Agreed. In fact, over the time I’ve even paid attention (which has been at least 15 years), I have never seen a “dirty” tattoo shop. They seem to have pretty decent standards in most places.

Even still, I usually ask around to see who most people use. Then I looked at the work they did.

If I don’t like the artist, I won’t be getting it done.

I only have two though and haven’t gotten more because I am running out of “hideable” places to put them.

These links might help you get a handle of what is some of the best worked being done. You should be able to search NY tattoo artists.

This shop has been turning out really great art lately (unfortunately located in Hong Kong)

http://tattootemple.hk/

I have 5 large tats. But I must add that when you sit back and think with all the fear of germs and infections and such that I walk into a corner shop next to my fav titty bar and not just allow but pay to have a guy with no degree in any form of medicine stick me with a needle covered in ink for hours is nuts

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

Obviously not Billy-Joe’s friend’s basement…[/quote]

I only have two though and haven’t gotten more because I am running out of “hideable” places to put them.[/quote]

Running out of hideable places? What are you walking around wearing speedos all the time?

Any of you guys regret getting a tat? I want to get one but not till i can afford one and something i really want.

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:
Any of you guys regret getting a tat? I want to get one but not till i can afford one and something i really want.[/quote]

That’s why you don’t go too big on anything. Always leave the option for a cover later in life. Shit that’s cool at 18 might not be at 38.

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:
Any of you guys regret getting a tat? I want to get one but not till i can afford one and something i really want.[/quote]

If you are getting it for all the right reasons then it shouldn’t be a problem.

I would always tell people though wait till you are an adult and mature before you decide on getting one.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I only have two though and haven’t gotten more because I am running out of “hideable” places to put them.[/quote]

You already have a tramp stamp?

How about an anklet?

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:
If you are getting it for all the right reasons then it shouldn’t be a problem.

I would always tell people though wait till you are an adult and mature before you decide on getting one.[/quote]

Shit, I say just start out getting them in places that are almost always covered under shirt or pants, wait a while, and if you don’t have regrets, keep going. Just don’t get anything extreme, at least at first…gang affiliations, vulgar language, bands, people (other than maybe passed away family/friends), cuz those are the ones you may regret. And never go to a shop drunk. Though a good artist won’t ink you if you’re drunk anyways.

Be sure to triple check the spelling too!