Tattoo Questions

Hey everyone, I’ve been thinking of getting a tattoo sometime in the nearish future and just had a couple questions for everyone just to get some experiences.

What did you get?
How much was it?
How big is it?
How did the entire process go from start to finish, any regrets or things you would do over?

The price really varies on the artist, size, if it’s black and white or color.

I have a sleeve that was almost two years in the making so I really have no idea how much it all cost me.

Only real advice I have is wait until you are older and fully mature as a man before you decide on something you want to get. I know for a fact I had a different mindset from 18-21 to when I first got mine at 27. Five years later I still love it.

Just don’t get a tattoo of the Texas longhorns logo on your arm, done poorly, and having never attended the school. Especially if you arm looks like a pipe cleaner sticking out of a toilet paper tube. Particularly if you walk into a shop full of steel workers who’s tattoos range from the grim reaper eviscerating a baby to a leprechaun sucker punching a hooker.

Cause it just doesn’t work.

For what its worth, I don’t have any tattoos.

[quote]minman50 wrote:
Hey everyone, I’ve been thinking of getting a tattoo sometime in the nearish future and just had a couple questions for everyone just to get some experiences.

What did you get?
How much was it?
How big is it?
How did the entire process go from start to finish, any regrets or things you would do over? [/quote]

Various tattoos with specific meanings based off experiences that reminded me where I had been in life.

Some were free, some were trades, some were cash.

One is a sentence, another is rather large.

I shopped for a good artist. Asked them to draw me a design (based off what I wanted and what they thought would work). I waited a year (except for one) if I still liked the idea I put it down on skin (plus, gave me time to save up for it).

Most of my tattoos are religious in nature (pilgrimages, devotion, &c.) and the purpose are reminders of particular events in my life.

[quote]minman50 wrote:

What did you get?
How much was it?
How big is it?
How did the entire process go from start to finish, any regrets or things you would do over? [/quote]

1. What did you get? - Why does it matter what I got or when? A tattoo is an individual thing. You need to decide what YOU want.

2. How much was it? - It depends on what YOU decide you want to get, the artist, the size, how intricate the design is, etc…

3. How big was it? - It doesn’t matter how big my tattoos are or where they are. We don’t work in the same career field and it will not impact our lives equally. You need to decide how big of a tattoo YOU want.

4. How did the entire process go from start to finish, any regrets or things you would do over?

• it depends on the artist/shop. No regrets, but I did my research and got what I wanted.

A tattoo is permanent and I suggest you put in the time researching and stopping in tattoo shops before you just run out and get a tattoo. Asking vague questions on an internet forum barely (if at all) counts as research.

Why put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari?

[quote]gregron wrote:
Why put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari?[/quote]

More like putting art on the Sistine Chapel. :wink:

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

More like putting art on the Sistine Chapel. ;)[/quote]

Ummm I believe it’s the “Sixteenth Chapel” but I see your point.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

Ummm I believe it’s the “Sixteenth Chapel” but I see your point.[/quote]

Huh?

Every time a tattoo thread gets started we must post this.

I have spent a lot of time getting ink.

DONT pick off the wall
DONT get drunk and go with friends.
DO find a guy who can actually fucking draw, find an artist.
DO take at least 6 months deciding you want a piece before you do it.

I’m believing (hoping) Gregron was making reference to this

[quote]Gumbi wrote:
I’m believing (hoping) Gregron was making reference to this

[/quote]

although a pop culture reference about the Biebs is something I would do, unfortunately this is not that.

It’s from a movie. I can’t remember what movie right now but ok sure it’ll come to me.

[quote]sjoconn wrote:

[quote]minman50 wrote:

What did you get?
How much was it?
How big is it?

1. What did you get? - Why does it matter what I got or when? A tattoo is an individual thing. You need to decide what YOU want.

2. How much was it? - It depends on what YOU decide you want to get, the artist, the size, how intricate the design is, etc…

3. How big was it? - It doesn’t matter how big my tattoos are or where they are. We don’t work in the same career field and it will not impact our lives equally. You need to decide how big of a tattoo YOU want.

4. How did the entire process go from start to finish, any regrets or things you would do over?

• it depends on the artist/shop. No regrets, but I did my research and got what I wanted.

A tattoo is permanent and I suggest you put in the time researching and stopping in tattoo shops before you just run out and get a tattoo. Asking vague questions on an internet forum barely (if at all) counts as research.[/quote]

Well no shit its a personal endeavor. I’m not looking for someone else ideas or to go out and get a run of the mill Texas Longhorn logo. I was just looking for peoples experiences just to get a general consensus on what people liked about their ink, didn’t like, and other just basic background. This isn’t the only research I’m doing. I’ll have you know I’m only half as stupid as I look.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

Ummm I believe it’s the “Sixteenth Chapel” but I see your point.[/quote]

Thanks Justin Bieber.

[quote]minman50 wrote:

[quote]sjoconn wrote:

[quote]minman50 wrote:

What did you get?
How much was it?
How big is it?

A tattoo is permanent and I suggest you put in the time researching and stopping in tattoo shops before you just run out and get a tattoo. Asking vague questions on an internet forum barely (if at all) counts as research.[/quote]

Well no shit its a personal endeavor. I’m not looking for someone else ideas or to go out and get a run of the mill Texas Longhorn logo. I was just looking for peoples experiences just to get a general consensus on what people liked about their ink, didn’t like, and other just basic background. This isn’t the only research I’m doing. I’ll have you know I’m only half as stupid as I look.[/quote]

If you didn’t like the answers it could be that you failed to ask the right questions. I took the questions at face value.

[quote]minman50 wrote:
Well no shit its a personal endeavor. I’m not looking for someone else ideas or to go out and get a run of the mill Texas Longhorn logo. I was just looking for peoples experiences just to get a general consensus on what people liked about their ink, didn’t like, and other just basic background. This isn’t the only research I’m doing. I’ll have you know I’m only half as stupid as I look.[/quote]

In general I have 4 pieces. 1 is a favorite because of the experience. 2 others I love because of the work the artist and how much of themselves they put into them. 1 just because it was my first and the time in my life when I got it. My tattoos range in size from fairly small to an entire forearm.

[quote]sjoconn wrote:

[quote]minman50 wrote:

[quote]sjoconn wrote:

[quote]minman50 wrote:

What did you get?
How much was it?
How big is it?

If you didn’t like the answers it could be that you failed to ask the right questions. I took the questions at face value.[/quote]

Fair enough than no harm intended. I should have probably directed them a little better than leaving them so open ended. Thanks for the help