Tatoo Tips?

If you get a tatt you need it to be a personal thing, each one of my tatts means something to me, it helps to start a conversation when someone sees one, like “Oh what’s that?”
“Well it’s a rendition of Thor’s hammer, because it to me represents strengh”

[quote]Sorry if this is offensive, but I don’t know why anyone would let a scummy nasty-a*s biker or tattooed, drugged-out freak inject ink into my body, and have the idiotic notion to call it “art”.
[/quote]

Yet another post of pure ignorance.

All bikers and druggies…

Mattwray- That’s what I’ve seen, and that’s enough for me. If you are/ know tattoo people who are not freaks or scuzzy bikers, good for you.

I don’t think I’ve actually met any biker tattoo artists, come to think of it. And all the artists I’ve spoken too, do NOT tattoo while messed up, nor will they ink someone who is drunk or on drugs. If they do otherwise, they’re not a good artist or person! A surprising amount of collectors are Straight Edge also. But a lot are hard-core partiers and everything in between including doctors and lawyers! A lot of artists have “codes of ethics” about what they will or won’t do on a certain person. For example, if an 18 year old wanted to get “Fuck Society” tattooed on his forearms or hands the good artists would say no. Most think that whoever did Mike Tyson’s face (a mentally unbalanced man by his own admission) should cracked upside the head. We watched one of our friends refuse good money because he did not want to tattoo a boyfriend’s name on a woman’s neck. He said it wasn’t a good idea and he would play no part in it.
New artists these days aren’t self-taught like in the old days. College degrees in art or graphic design experience is rapidly becoming the norm in the tattoo world. I’m not saying there aren’t crappy, unethical artists, but I believe they’re the minority.
In summation, there are good and bad tattoo artists, just like every other profession. Just do research and find the good ones! Here are a couple links to talented artists:
http://darkimages.com/

http://www.silkyflycatcher.net
http://www.inkwelltattoo.com

Im not a bikie or drugo, infact i am the sort of person if u knew me wouldnt think i would get a tattoo, Tattoos are fucking awesome. Just think what is more boring than staring at plain skin for the entire length of your life. Fuck what anyone else thinks, have a look at yourself if u can handle it get it.your skin is going to be wrinkly and sunspotted when u get older anway so what the fuck. Just dont have any regrets. As a favourite saying i like to say to my mates - “if u cant handle it…dont drink it” another thing dont judge people unless u want to get judged…fuckers. hahaha.

Take it easy.
Brett

Yep, tattoos are trendy and a fad. The guy they found in the glacier in Europe had been there for abut 5500 years. He had tattoos. Archeologists dug up a woman, they thought was some kind of important figure by her clothing and possessions they found. She’d been buried on the steppes of Asia for 12,500 years or so and had multiple colored tattoos. So much for fads.

So, my advice. It’s not as important what you get as long as you’re sure where you want it. If you change your mind later you can get other work done over it at least once.

Get custom work. Look at the artist’s portfolio of work they’ve done on people, not just the drawings (flash) on the walls or in their books to make sure his style of work is what you really want.

Once you get one keep the damn thing out of the sun. It deteriorates the ink a lot faster and old beat up tattoos just don’t look all that great.

Be very certain you want the tattoo. It is permanent and you can see by some of the responses in this thread what some people think about them…and the people that have them. I get totally different responses from people if I’m in a long sleeved shirt versus a tank top. I dont’ care about it but you might.

Good luck.

SteelyEyes- Don’t misunderstand me. I know tattos are not a “fad” in the historical sense. But they are a fad in today’s American society where people get them for no reason other than somebody else has one and its, like, sooooo cool.

I feel some people think they can be seen as bad boys or bad girls just by getting a tattoo, like a rock star.

Don’t work that way. You don’t become more exciting or cool by getting a tattoo.

And re: judging people by tats, at this point, since its a fad…no one will be able to come to any conclusions anymore.
As I said, at this point rock stars will be cool for NOT having tattoos and for wearing clean clothes.

BTW-I spent a few years of my youth seen as a weirdo because I was a metalhead, so trust me, I don’t judge people on how they “look” if they don’t “look” like everybody else.

But he does need to keep in mind the prejudices out there, that’s for sure

Okay, I understand ya know SonnyS. And I will agree with you that for the majority of people, tats can be just a fad thing. This is because the majority of people are idiots. Seriously, hang out at the DMV for a day and be amazed! But, anyway, I’m tired of seeing Taz and Tweety and even Goldberg’s tat. Damn people, don’t copy another person’s tattoo! And I’ve seen sooo damn many girls who say “Oh, I have a tattoo!” and I can guess that its either a butterfly on the small of the back or a sun/moon on the hip. 8/10 times I’m right. Sad!

To-Shin Do

rainjack: I agree with you about the armband tattoos, but it’s considered bad luck to actually have the two ends touching. I think that’s from the Seneca Indians or something. :slight_smile:

TashinDo- Yeah, I noticed that soon after Goldberg broke thru in 98, all of a sudden tribals appeared everywhere. You couldn’t find one before then. I don’t think anybody cared about Taz though, few people knew who he was and most still don’t.

Not only that: Goldberg and Stone Cold were bald and had goatees.
All of a sudden, in 98-99, there was a proliferation of bald guys with goats.

Wrestling is more of an influence than most give it credit for

A bit of advice from a “clean a** Biker”. Make sure they use fresh ink. The ink they’re using should be placed in a smaller cup or container for immediate use and discarded when through. The blood born pathogens can be transferred from a previous “clients” ink.

well, let’s hear it for wrestling. anything that makes bald guys with tats fashionable must be a good thing…

There was a skit from SNL that made fun of the lower back tatoo that a lot of girls have been getting lately, it’s pretty funny.

I’m not going to get into how much of a jizz-bag I think all those who posted here just to tell their opinions on why they don’t like tatoo’s are. I will say that that it’s something I though about getting for a long time like 3 years or so. It took me that long because like yourself I didn’t have any idea of what I wanted. Over time I’d notice other peoples work from different coasts and places I’d been. If I really liked something I’d take note. Then one of my best friends took his life shortly after moving away to Cali. I never got a chance to visit him out there. However last April, I went to visit his brother and cousin. It was one of the best times I’d ever had ,and in a strange way I felt the same comfort I did their amongst his family and freinds as I did when me and him used to chill. It was like his prescence was there with them. SOOO I got tatted with something symbolic of what I felt about myself and my life at that time. End of story. The point make sure it means something to you would be my advice.

Whatever you want to get, make sure you really want it or it really means something to you. Novelty fades, treads get played out, ink is forever, and costs A LOT to get lasered off.

However, if you get something symbolic and important to you, you’ll have a piece of art with you for life.

Wideguy,

Was Gregg Valentino one of your writing inspirations?

Not that it’s a bad thing, I just see a similarity in your writing styles…

Sorry for the Hyjack y’all

Nope never read anything by him. But I do enjoy spot injecting my bi’s LOL!