T Nation

Tasty Red Meat Gone to Waste...

Long story short: I have an unlimited supply of red meat. Naturally, this includes many different cuts of meat. My problem concerns the various types of roast. I have no problem preparing the meat, but a 1kg roast is a little too much to eat in one sitting, so naturally I attempt to store it in the fridge. Problem is, even the next day, the meat has dehydrated so much, it’s largely inedible. Well, that or it just doesn’t taste very good. Anyone have any ideas about how I can store this, either by itself or in a ‘suspension’ or somesuch to avoid the dehydration? Ko? Thanks all.

I would think freezing it right after cooking would be a good idea, but I guess it doesn’t make much sense if you are just going to eat it the following day. Perhaps making sure it’s moist and completely sealed when it goes in the fridge would be the first step. Although I’m sure Ko has some much better ideas.

But what I want to know, Ike, is how do you have an unlimited supply of meat? And don’t you live in the Portland area? And can I have some? :wink: Just kidding, but I am curious as to where you’re getting it.

Tyler

Pot roast. Cook the roast in a liquid, like stock, water with soup base concentrate added, etc. When it’s done you can make gravy with the liquid or not, your choice. Store the meat in a container with the gravy or liquid.

I just deal with it. Try adding some sort of moist sauce like Tabasco, flaxseed oil, or olive oil.

Alot of the dehydration will also have to do with the method of cooking you use. Try braising the roast or as previously mentioned making a pot roast using a beef stock or au jus. i would braise the roast to sear in the juices and then store it in a thickened au jus. This will cause the au jus to form a gel and help seal in the juices while the left over portion is being stored until your next meal. Or you could simply just cook less. You can easily fabricate your roasts into smaller sections and cook them seperately.

All excellent suggestions, I shall have to experiment. Thanks guys. Now then, Tyler, regarding your ‘unlimited red meat’ question. The simple answer is that I come out of Eastern Oregon, where such beef is aplenty, and I have connections. :slight_smile:

Ike-buy an “electric roaster” from a company called Nesco or a similar type of product. Put the roast in it w/some onions, spices, whatever you like and at least a cup of water. The meat will be flavorful and moist and if you store it in a plastic bowl with the juice it should be good for a few days. The other trick is to let the meat stand for at least 10 mins. after you remove it from the heat. This helps retain moisture. If you carve to soon the juice will leak out. (same for chicken and turkey)My Italian mom passed these tips along to me during my bachelor days, they work.

Like these guys said, moist heat techniques are a great way to keep it moist. But if you have a nice prime rib(or even a nice top round), it is the last thing you want to do. Fabricating smaller pieces is a good idea, but if you make them to small they will cook to fast and become tough and dry. the best thing to do is 1. sear your roast before cooking it, in a hot pan over the stove, or in a hot oven (450F or more, you really need a commercial oven to do this) This will help seal in the juices.2. Do not over cook it, leave it at an internal temp of 140 F(medium rare). 3. Cook it slowly at a low temp 275-325 F. 4. Invest in a slicer. No matter how well you cook your roast, if you try to reheat it the next day, it will become dry. At the restaurant, yesterdays prime rib becomes todays roastbeef sandwiches, or french dip. Hope his helps.

Um, best thing is to cook up as much as you can, then call your T-mag buddies over and we’ll bring the beer.

Consider it done. I tend to gravitate toward the darker end of the beer-spectrum, thanks! :wink: