Targetting Weaknesses

Currently on my 3rd cycle of 5/3/1 BBB 3 month challenge. First off thank you Jim for the excellent program. Seeing good progress recently, also read the beyond book.

1. For my next cycle on, what would be suggested. My presses are just weak so I’ll just continue working hard at it. For my squats I find my quads weak so I’m thinking of incorporating front squats into the program but I’m not sure how? And for my deadlifts i struggle on the lockout and i read that rack pulls can be done as well.

2. Really confused as to what im supposed to do after my mainsets. I read that joker sets and FSL is essential but I’m also thinking of leaning towards the strength/powerlifting side so I’m considering 5x5 as well. Could someone please give me some tips or share their experience? It’ll be great if someone could suggest a template as well, im currently doing it 4x a week

What are you current lifts?

And please, don’t combine programs. That would be a HORRIBLE idea.

If you want to get stronger, do the basic program, 5x5 at FSL and then loads of dips, chins, push-ups, back raises and ab work. THAT IS IT. Then push Prowler or run hills or stadiums 3 times/week. So now you can be strong as hell and actually be awesome. Is this something you are interested in? I thought so.

If you want to do FS, do them as your FSL after squat or deadlift (replacing the FSL of those lifts).

So your press day would be:

Press 531
Press FSL
Dips - 100
Chins - 50
Hanging Leg Raises - 50

See how easy this is? Don’t be a chump and combine programs. We have some basic standards for strength, conditioning and even bodyweight work. You should too.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:

If you want to get stronger, do the basic program, 5x5 at FSL and then loads of dips, chins, push-ups, back raises and ab work. THAT IS IT. Then push Prowler or run hills or stadiums 3 times/week. So now you can be strong as hell and actually be awesome. Is this something you are interested in? I thought so.

If you want to do FS, do them as your FSL after squat or deadlift (replacing the FSL of those lifts).

Press 531
Press FSL
Dips - 100
Chins - 50
Hanging Leg Raises - 50

See how easy this is? Don’t be a chump and combine programs. We have some basic standards for strength, conditioning and even bodyweight work. You should too. [/quote]

Erm my current TM is 162/80/200/60kg for squats/bench/deadlifts/press.

Sorry for the misunderstanding,the 5x5 i meant was the 5x5 BBB variation.

Do i have to do joker sets or just go straight to the 5x5 at FSL?

Like the price for a high end sports car, if you have to ask, it’s not for you.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:

Press 531
Press FSL
Dips - 100
Chins - 50
Hanging Leg Raises - 50

See how easy this is? Don’t be a chump and combine programs. We have some basic standards for strength, conditioning and even bodyweight work. You should too. [/quote]

Came in, saw too much pressing/pushing, left.

[quote]DanProsser wrote:
[/quote]

That’s alot? And i tot BBB was normal…

Just ignore the asshole - my best advice is to stick with FSL. Like tsantos said, don’t worry about the joker sets.

FSL works best because of the increased volume, bar speed, and it doesn’t fuck up your recovery.

[quote]Wheynelau wrote:

[quote]DanProsser wrote:
[/quote]

That’s alot? And i tot BBB was normal…[/quote]

The main lift programming is fine but what he’s got laid out for assistance is idiotic and has no rhyme or reason to it. Ignore that part.