T Nation

Targetting Different Heads of the Triceps

I tried JM presses for the first time a while back, and they filled my tricep in just above the elbow in a way that other tricep exercises don’t seem to do. I know there’s three heads to the triceps and I know that some exercises can emphasise one head over the others, so which head are the JM presses emphasising? And are there other exercises that will do the same?

Thanks in advance
Bob

Cue Holymac in 3…2…1

Cue Holymac in 3…2…1

Dude I am considering changing my avatar, but maybe I’m not as intense as some guys lol.

Holymac has rly amazin full triceps, hopefully he will chime in soon!

Paging doctor holy ‘tricepts’ mac

DOCTOR WE HAVE A FUCKNIG PATIENT DYING YOU NEED TO FEED THEM WITH YOUR TRICEP NIPPLES DCOTOR

According to Holymac, tricep kickbacks will give you all the tricep growth you will ever need.

The part of the triceps that you are referring to is the medial head, it sits right above the elbow. Tate presses put a lot of emphasis on the medial head, just like JM’s, and I believe that “power pushdowns” (got these from MarauderMeat) also put emphasis on them…they do for me at least.

If you are doing Tate’s and cannot feel them well or they feel awkward, give them a try on an incline bench. I could never get them to feel right on a flat bench, but tried them on an incline after seeing a picture of Mike Ruggiera doing them that way…it made a world of difference.

[quote]Ty Carlson wrote:
The part of the triceps that you are referring to is the medial head, it sits right above the elbow. Tate presses put a lot of emphasis on the medial head, just like JM’s, and I believe that “power pushdowns” (got these from MarauderMeat) also put emphasis on them…they do for me at least.

If you are doing Tate’s and cannot feel them well or they feel awkward, give them a try on an incline bench. I could never get them to feel right on a flat bench, but tried them on an incline after seeing a picture of Mike Ruggiera doing them that way…it made a world of difference.[/quote]

thanks mate, medial head, got it.

I’d never heard of Tates before but a quick bit of googling and I found it. Thanks very much.