T Nation

Targeting Stubborn Fat

Whats the best way to lose those last few stuborn pounds without harming my physique to much?

eating better and training harder.

vague question : vague answer

liposuction

[quote]B rocK wrote:
eating better and training harder.

vague question : vague answer[/quote]

True. Give some detail about current training and diet. Maybe some stats too.

Brock is right.

There is literally so much you can alter, that not posting any information about your calories, macros, activity level is like taking a shot in the dark.

I’ll go ahead and say doing 45 min brisk walk every morning before breakfast couldn’t hurt though, no matter what your carb/calorie level is.

Anabolic diet imo

Ok well I weight 180 pounds. I think my body fat is around 12% i havnt had it measured in a couple months. My split is as follows

mon-legs
tues-shoulders,abs,cardio
wed-back tri
thurs-off
fri-chest bi
sat-cardio,abs
sun-off

I usually spend a little under an hour or close to an hour lifting.

My 1rm max for bench is 325, squat 355, deadlift 335

My cardio usually consists of a 30 minute fast paced walk. I try to keep my heart rate about 160-170.

My diet consists of four meals i try not to eat over 150 grams of carbs a day. I eat about 1.2 grams of protein. A lot of fruit and vegetables. I dont eat and kind of processed fats or sweets.

hexx you recommend doing a brisk walk before breakfast but dosnt that burn muscle as well as fat since your body has been fasting for however long you slept?

[quote]Bone160 wrote:
Ok well I weight 180 pounds. I think my body fat is around 12% i havnt had it measured in a couple months. My split is as follows

mon-legs
wed-back tri
thurs-off
fri-chest bi
sat-cardio,abs
sun-off

My cardio usually consists of a 30 minute fast paced walk. I try to keep my heart rate about 160-170.

My diet consists of four meals i try not to eat over 150 grams of carbs a day. I eat about 1.2 grams of protein. A lot of fruit and vegetables. I dont eat and kind of processed fats or sweets.

hexx you recommend doing a brisk walk before breakfast but dosnt that burn muscle as well as fat since your body has been fasting for however long you slept?[/quote]

No. Fat will be the major source of fuel if intensity is kept low.

Also no offense man, but I sincerely hope the numbers you posted on your lifts were inflated.

335 DL and 325 Bench? That is one of the most ridiculous imbalances I have ever seen.

When you say keeping the intensity low should i be aiming for a light sweat or what?

Sadly they arnt inflated when i was a senior my max bench was 340 and my squat was 385 we never counted our deadlift in our totals we used power cleans instead but ya its pretty bad i know

Light sweat- sure, whatever. Just aim for around 4mph I’d say if you want to get specific. (see what it feels like on a treadmill and my suggestion won’t seem so weird).

I like the fasted cardio in the AM.

Worked for me when I cut this past winter.

STubborn fat = abdominal area i assume?

growing up i was always the little fat kid and when i hit my growth spurt i grew into my body but ive always had the baby fat on the lower abs

[quote]Bone160 wrote:

mon-legs
wed-back tri
thurs-off
fri-chest bi
sat-cardio,abs
sun-off

hexx you recommend doing a brisk walk before breakfast but dosnt that burn muscle as well as fat since your body has been fasting for however long you slept?[/quote]

What is your HR max? 160-170 walking sounds very very high, each of us is different but a fast walk can get me barely above 140 (on flat, obviously uphill is a different story and your kind of numbers start to make sense).

To answer the morning cardio intensity; maybe go for 70-75% of HR max. Then you basically burn 50% carbs and 50% fat with a decent amount of calories aswell. This kind of walking should have no negative effect on recovery from other activities.

EDIT: If you want to go with the mainly using fat as fuel approach, take down intensity to 60-65%. You will burn fewer calories but most of them will be from fat (85%, the remaining being carbs and protein (10 and 5% respectively)

C

My heart rate max is 202 but ya i usually have the treadmill raised to 5.0 and i keep the pace around 4.0 to 4.3 for the whole time no real rest

baby fat or whatever you wanna call it
in the lower ab area…that can be
hard to get rid of.

from what i’ve done and read
its mainly your diet that can
help reduce that shit. gotta
drop your overall bf% a bunch though

single digits typically.