T Nation

Targeted Hypertrophy?

So I’ve been using the same periodized off season training program for the last three years with pretty good results, but as I begin the hypertrophy phase I’m thinking what I really want to do is lower my center of gravity. Does it make sense to only use longer sets with short rest for my legs and skip straight to training my upper body for maximal strength without the added mass? Or does it not work that way?

BTW, I play hockey and I’m an undersized goalie so when it’s all said and done, the aim is to be really explosive in moving short distances, especially laterally. Sorry if this is a double post, it timed out the first time I tried to submit.

[quote]PWiz30 wrote:
So I’ve been using the same periodized off season training program for the last three years with pretty good results, but as I begin the hypertrophy phase I’m thinking what I really want to do is lower my center of gravity. Does it make sense to only use longer sets with short rest for my legs and skip straight to training my upper body for maximal strength without the added mass? Or does it not work that way?[/quote]
I don’t really follow your question.

Lowering your center of gravity will have tons more to do with your stance, posture, and movement when you’re actually in net. It’s not exactly something you can seriously change through lifting.

So I’d say train like an athlete when you’re in the gym (focusing on strength, speed, power, and, if necessary, well-balanced muscle development), and practice being a great goalie when you’re on the ice.

Yeah, I probably could have done a better job asking the question. Stated another way, my dilemma is that my program starts with 4 weeks dedicated to adding lean mass across the entire body and I’m beginning to think that I might see better results if I didn’t add the extra bulk to my upper body. Keeping this in mind, my question is does it make sense to initially train my lower body with the aim of adding mass (low weight, high reps, short rest) while skipping straight to heavy, short sets when training my upper body? Or is hypertrophy necessarily an all in proposition where I won’t see any results unless I train everything that way?

I guess I didn’t do a very good job of posing the question. My dilemma is that my program begins with four weeks of focusing on adding mass to basically every major muscle group and I’m starting to think I’d be better off being less top heavy. With this in mind, would it make sense for me to train for hypertrophy on legs days (moderate weight, longer reps, shorter rest) and skip straight to heavier, shorter sets on days when I train upper body? Or is adding bulk to be an all in proposition, where I won’t see results unless I train all muscle groups that way?

Your “overall” fitness, will depend on your “overall” fitness.

Just get on a decent program and your goalie training will take care of the rest.

It’s only 4 weeks… you’re not going to make any significant difference in that short time. That’s more just prepping your body for the real program.

Did you choose this program or your coach?