Tarantino's Collaborator Dies While Hiking

Tarantino editor Sally Menke dies in LA heat wave

Sally Menke, the Oscar-nominated editor who collaborated with director Quentin Tarantino on all of his films, has died in Los Angeles at the age of 56.

She is thought to have died from heat stroke while hiking in the Hollywood Hills during a record hot spell.

Menke edited every Tarantino film from Reservoir Dogs in 1992 to last year’s Inglourious Basterds.

Her husband, Dean Parisot, said she was “truly proud of two things in her life - above all her family [and] her work.”

Her two Oscar nominations came for Pulp Fiction in 1995 and for Basterds, which starred Brad Pitt, earlier this year.

Speaking in 2007, Tarantino described Menke as “hands down my number one collaborator”.

Menke’s body was discovered in the early hours of Tuesday in Beachwood Canyon on the west side of Griffith Park.

Her black Labrador retriever was standing near the body.

Officials believe Menke, who had a history of seizures, died from hyperthermia after collapsing from the heat.

Temperatures reached a record high of 48C on Tuesday in parts of the city.

Born in 1953, Menke studied at New York University before going on to edit documentaries for the CBS network.

Her other films include Oliver Stone’s Heaven and Earth, Billy Bob Thornton’s All the Pretty Horses and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 1990.

that’s sad.
poor dog.
she was very talented to have been tarantino’s number one collaborator.
those films are fantastically well written, imo.

That sucks. Hope her fam is ok.

That’s sad…and it makes me want to get a dog even more.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
That’s sad…and it makes me want to get a dog even more.[/quote]

Yeah, but if you died, your dog would eat you to get to the steaks inside.

lol

Truly sad indeed. Why was she hiking in that abysmal weather?

She is an idiot, I live 10 minutes from where this happened, and it got to 108 that day. Probably the hottest day I can recall here in Los Angeles. Then last night, we had rain at 7pm, 95 degrees with rain, fucking awesome.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
She is an idiot, I live 10 minutes from where this happened, and it got to 108 that day. Probably the hottest day I can recall here in Los Angeles. Then last night, we had rain at 7pm, 95 degrees with rain, fucking awesome. [/quote]

She should have brought some water. I work in 115 degree weather during the summer and I never once got sick except for the first week, after that I was fine. Should have had the dog carry the water. Makes sense.

Since we never get heat like that, I am sure she didn’t prepare, or consider what that kind of heat would do to someone, not to mention the dog. Just sad because this could have been prevented.

She also had a history of seizures. I’m sure that has to be taken into account.