Taps Out Instead of Beating Opponent

Curious what people think of this athlete’s actions.

S

I donno what to say except, fuckin weird…

It sounds like the guy that tapped thinks pretty highly of himself (when he said other dude would end up in the hospital). He landed some decent shots in the video, but he wasn’t doing a lot of damage. The other guy looked fine.

Weird mentality for a fighter.

There was under the table money or threats or something. Only logical explanation.

That dude was getting smoked, he was probably mildly concussed right before the fight ended.

I think that was awesome of the dominant guy (loser) and he had a perfect explanation; they weren’t making any money and the guy who won (getting beat) was ill-prepared.

it’s like on pawn stars when someone asks for $50 for whatever, then rick says “this is actually worth more, how about $100” or something like that

…people tell me I have bad analogies sometimes, but I think they’re spot on.

There is honor in beating a worthy opponent. By refusing to accept the victory, you imply that your opponent was not worthy of you and that you don’t respect the sport.

Sort of like if I’m wrestling with my 3 year-old son, I might let him ‘win.’ I recognize that he isn’t really a worthy opponent and that it serves no purpose to just pin him over and over again.

By beating an opponent soundly using your best effort, you recognize that your opponent is a competent threat and that you respect the sport for its own sake. You acknowledge his courage shown by continuing to fight even though he is clearly getting the worst of most exchanges.

An amateur fight with nothing to gain in a material sense (money, title, endorsements etc.) then this was an honourable thing to do. He was clearly the dominant fighter (and knew it) and the other guy didn’t / couldnt give up even though he was clearly outmatched then my hat goes off to the guy, fair play!

We all know who the real winner is…

You see the better skilled fighter landing some blows. His opponent stepped up. You honor him by fighting back as long as he advances. This is why you fight. To see who has more fighting skill. He should not be there if he can’t see it through. Even if he felt he was the better fighter.

If he was so good he should have beaten him in a couple seconds. This tapping out was done out of arrogance and disrespect for his opponent disguised with concern and false respect. I would be pissed if I was the other guy. You never know what can happen. The tapping guy could be taken to the ground and not do as well. Or get gassed and make mistakes later in the fight and lose. There is more then one way to win a fight. Tapping like that steals that opportunity to do that.

This is just silly and insulting to everyone.

[quote]dirtman wrote:
You see the better skilled fighter landing some blows. His opponent stepped up. You honor him by fighting back as long as he advances. This is why you fight. To see who has more fighting skill. He should not be there if he can’t see it through. Even if he felt he was the better fighter.

If he was so good he should have beaten him in a couple seconds. This tapping out was done out of arrogance and disrespect for his opponent disguised with concern and false respect. I would be pissed if I was the other guy. You never know what can happen. The tapping guy could be taken to the ground and not do as well. Or get gassed and make mistakes later in the fight and lose. There is more then one way to win a fight. Tapping like that steals that opportunity to do that.

This is just silly and insulting to everyone. [/quote]

I saw this video somewhere or other and people were praising the guy who tapped out for great sportsmanship, but something about it bothered me. Thanks for putting that into words for me.

I agree. This isn’t being respectful or showing good sportsmanship. Respect and good sportsmanship would be taking the guy seriously and beating him fair and square.

All that guy showed is that he is arrogant enough to think that whatever he does will actually come across as a sign of good will.

[quote]dirtman wrote:

I kind of agree with this, but at the same time, if they ain’t gettin paid, he can do whatever he wants. He doesn’t owe anybody a good fight for free.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]dirtman wrote:

I kind of agree with this, but at the same time, if they ain’t gettin paid, he can do whatever he wants. He doesn’t owe anybody a good fight for free.[/quote]

Absolutely, do what you want. I thought it was weird too though.

Bas Rutten was cool with it. I know it’s not the ‘logical’ thing to do, but I’m going to appeal to his opinion on what’s considered honorable.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]dirtman wrote:

I kind of agree with this, but at the same time, if they ain’t gettin paid, he can do whatever he wants. He doesn’t owe anybody a good fight for free.[/quote]
It’s not about what he owes somebody. He chose to compete in a sport and then displayed horrible sportsmanship. Just because he has no legal or financial obligation doesn’t mean he isn’t an arrogant creep.

This shit would never fly back when The Ultimate Warrior was in the ring.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:
That dude was getting smoked, he was probably mildly concussed right before the fight ended.

I think that was awesome of the dominant guy (loser) and he had a perfect explanation; they weren’t making any money and the guy who won (getting beat) was ill-prepared.

it’s like on pawn stars when someone asks for $50 for whatever, then rick says “this is actually worth more, how about $100” or something like that

…people tell me I have bad analogies sometimes, but I think they’re spot on.[/quote]

I like your analogy but the guy didn’t look mildly concussed to me, still had his hands up. I’ve seen fights where one guy was no longer defending himself and the fight should have been ended, but I don’t think this was one of them.

If someone posted a video of a bunch of guys playing flag football, would you guys be talking shit about the best player taking it easy on the rest of the guys? What if the best player was playing defense and let a lesser player run by him for a touchdown? Or more appropriate for this website: if a guy doesn’t lockout a deadlift in the gym, are you going to give him shit for not respecting the lift? Amateur is amateur. Period. These expectations are foolish.

I’m not really sure what to think.

I mean, if you’re beating someone up pretty bad and know it, at some point you start thinking “what’s the point?”

I’ve played pick up games of basketball against people who had no shot in hell of even coming close to winning against me, and it was clear after a couple minutes. I’ve also been on the other side, playing someone who was clearly out of my league and we both knew it.

Both times, it wasn’t fun AT ALL and in my mind I was just waiting for it to be over. If you’re walking all over someone, you literally get to the point where you just want it to stop because you it’s boring and you feel bad for the other guy. Granted, I’m sure not everyone feels bad but I definitely do if it’s clear I can do whatever I want with little regard to good strategy and still win easily.

I don’t think I would’ve thought to tap out though, I probably just would’ve trudged through the fight or try and get the other guy to try and tap out quickly if I didn’t want to risk sending him to the hospital.

[quote]dirtman wrote:

This is a much nicer/more diplomatic way of saying what I was going to say. I would lose my mind if an opponent cheated me out of a fight like that.

[quote]Melvin Smiley wrote:

[quote]dirtman wrote:

This is a much nicer/more diplomatic way of saying what I was going to say. I would lose my mind if an opponent cheated me out of a fight like that. [/quote]

Exactly, the guy that won was cheated out of a fair fight. Maybe he doesn’t care about that. Maybe he thinks awesome I won.

But…

I use to fight and I loved the fight itself win or lose. As long as real spirit is given in that fight. It was about the experience. Testing myself and what I could do. Just as much as it was about beating my opponent or losing to my opponent. But at least I know I won/loss fairly from the effort I gave. When you have a good fight it shows you this. That is the real truth/reason/way in fighting.

This is the same reason I lift. The iron is an opponent I fight but will never win but I love to try.