T Nation

Tapering Off Strattera

I’ve been on Strattera for awhile but it really isn’t doing anything for my focus and on top of that, it’s giving me heart palpitations. So I decided I’m going to taper off. I called my doctor to ask about the best way to do it, and the idiot tells me to take my prescribed dose (40mg) every other day for 5 days and that should take me off. I can’t even begin to tell you how stupid that statement sounds. How the fuck can you go off a medication by oscillating a dosage for 5 days? Anybody here successfully taper off Strattera?

No, not Strattera, but every other day does not sound idiotic to me.

Why do you need to taper off?

The oscillation method of tapering makes sense if it or its active metabolites have very long half-lives. If the pill isn’t time released though, I don’t see why you can’t just take halves for a few days if you want.

I was only on it for a month, but I quit cold turkey with no withdrawal. I do believe it has a pretty short half-life though, and there’s no way a the oscillating method would work. Try that with an SSRI and you’ll be puking.

I would just do what etaco suggested and take halves. If you don’t notice any withdrawal for a day at a certain dose, then you can drop it again.

[quote]MetalGear86 wrote:
I’ve been on Strattera for awhile but it really isn’t doing anything for my focus and on top of that, it’s giving my heart palpitations. So I decided I’m going to taper off. I called my doctor to ask about the best way to do it, and the idiot tells me to take my prescribed dose (40mg) every other day for 5 days and that should take me off. I can’t even begin to tell you how stupid that statement sounds. How the fuck can you go off a medication by oscillating a dosage for 5 days? Anybody here successfully taper off Strattera? [/quote]

You don’t need to taper, I just stopped and it was no big deal.

I did have withdrawal when I went off cold turkey before – about a week after I quit, I started having anxiety attacks for no reason. It is a stimulant and your body gets hooked on it. Some people go off easier than others, but that’s why I’m tapering. I can’t break the pill in half because it’s a capsule. I learned that Strattera does have a relatively long half-life, so this “one every other day” might work.