Tanning - What's Wrong With It?

I went tanning today with my sister up at the main street in the college town I live in for the first time. I went in and there were about a dozen people there including a few employees. All were young women. What’s the deal there? Why don’t men go tanning? Is it perceived as too metrosexual or “homo”? Do any of you go tanning?

I do. I don’t normally broadcast it everywhere. I find that most guys who tan are either gay or are overly proud that they tan and want to tell all the chicks hoping that they think its “hott”.

I normally tan because I don’t want to fry on my vacations.

CJK pretty much nailed it. I tan occassionally to give my skin some vitamin d (I think it’s Vit. D anyways) and burn the little bit of acne off too. And yeah, guys who do it too much are gay or are extremely annoying

Other than before a bodybuilding contest, Why would a man want to tan.

The type of guys who frequent solariums tend to be the same narcissistic types who buy $300 pairs of jeans and pay $200 for a hair cut.

[quote]IgneLudo wrote:
I went tanning today with my sister up at the main street in the college town I live in for the first time. I went in and there were about a dozen people there including a few employees. All were young women. What’s the deal there? Why don’t men go tanning? Is it perceived as too metrosexual or “homo”? Do any of you go tanning?[/quote]

Good job, you’ve earned it

I’ll be a bastard and point out that UV damage to your skin is just asking for trouble. Its beyond stupid, its plain retarded to tan. How about I just stick you in a microwave?

If you get skin cancer, hey, don’t bitch to us.

And no, I won’t go tanning.

Tanning Salons have been on the news quite a bit over here in the UK at the moment, mostly because of the risk of skin cancer.

In Scotland thay are trying to make it illegal for under 18-year-olds to use salons.
Of course, that doesn’t stop them using mom’s home solarium.

Personally I do it because it seems to irritate the fuck out of bodyguard. UV is one of his trigger points.

heres my question, why do people tan to the point where it makes them look like little orange oompaloompas?

Guys who fake tan are awesome…

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Guys who fake tan are awesome…[/quote]

Wow. Orange-y.

-Nate

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Guys who fake tan are awesome…[/quote]

Holy crap! They look like creatures from a science fiction movie. I can’t believe those girls are proud to be with them.

D

[quote]medevac wrote:
Personally I do it because it seems to irritate the fuck out of bodyguard. UV is one of his trigger points. [/quote]

LOL!!!

BTW medevac I have a nice tan now but I’ll let it fade once I get back from Florida.

The orange is from spray-on tan lotions.

Why is a tan from spending a week at the beach acceptable?

[quote]IgneLudo wrote:
Why is a tan from spending a week at the beach acceptable?[/quote]

It’s not either. 30 seconds of sun exposure will give you skin cancer for life. Besides everyone knows that translucent white is the new black.

[quote]IgneLudo wrote:
Why is a tan from spending a week at the beach acceptable?[/quote]

why do people get made fun of wearing tupees but real hair is acceptable?

because you arent a douchebag for doing it and it actually looks good and feels good, since you need a certain amount of sun exposure daily anyway, not that artificial shit.

[quote]CJK wrote:
I normally tan because I don’t want to fry on my vacations. [/quote]

This theory might make sense after all. I thought it was just an excuse to go tanning. Well maybe for some, but I guess some people really do do it because they don’t want to fry on their vacation.

I have very pale skin myself. I will stick to sunscreen (because I still find it gay to go in tanning salons and not completely safe) but I understand where you’re coming from.

Funny, when this thread was started by a girl everybody was ripping on me for suggesting tanning salons were stupid. I guess only OK for girls, however the health risks are there for everybody.

As summer approachs (probably beginning in May) I’ll start tanning once a week. I’ve done this the last two years and I’m satisfied with the results. I own a boat and spend most weekends on the water. I use the tanning bed to give me a base tan so I won’t burn or have to worry much with sunblock. I’m naturally dark complected so it doesn’t take much to get me ready for the summer and if I’ll be out on the water all day one good application of sunblock is all I need. Before I started taning like this I’d have to be careful the first couple of weeks of summer so that I wouldn’t burn. Tanning pretty much makes that a none issue.

I only tan though for about 3 months out of the year. I do think that tanning excessively isn’t healthy, so it’s something I only feel comfortable doing as prep for summer. I also don’t tan commando. I shower at my gym after working out and it’s hard to miss a tanned ass in the middle of Winter. But if that’s what makes you happy…

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
IgneLudo wrote:
Why is a tan from spending a week at the beach acceptable?

why do people get made fun of wearing tupees but real hair is acceptable?

because you arent a douchebag for doing it and it actually looks good and feels good, since you need a certain amount of sun exposure daily anyway, not that artificial shit.
[/quote]

UV rays are UV rays. From the sun or from radiating phosphor blends in UV lamps, they are the same thing.

If you don’t get that “certain amount of sun exposure daily anyway”, then your logic suggests you should go to a tanning bed, doesn’t it?

Next time try to make some sense.