T Nation

Tanita Scales for Body Fat %

Are Tanita and Taylor scales fairly accurate at determining Body fat percentage?

I was just wondering what other peoples experiences were.

Also ive noticed on mine there is a normal mode and athlete mode- why does it matter?

It’s starting to get hot in here. I believe the flames are getting closer.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

There fine if you just want to know your BF % (+/-20% that is).

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
Nothing against you because you don’t know, but those scales are pure garbage in terms of accuracy. Don’t even waste your time.[/quote]

Aside from the fact that if you put Tanita in the search dialog you’ll get the other 13 threads asking this.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
There fine if you just want to know your BF % (+/-20% that is).[/quote]

LOL!

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
There fine if you just want to know your BF % (+/-20% that is).[/quote]

That’s only if you buy the cheaper models. The ones going for $150 or more are scientifically-proven to be accurate to within +/- 2%. I think the IronMan model is the one that does this.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Mick28 wrote:
Nothing against you because you don’t know, but those scales are pure garbage in terms of accuracy. Don’t even waste your time.

Aside from the fact that if you put Tanita in the search dialog you’ll get the other 13 threads asking this.[/quote]

It’s time we made Tanita into a verb much the same way google has turned into one. Using it as an adjective or adverb would work too.

“Don’t tanita us to death” or “This thread is tanita” or “I smell a tanita flame”

Try it and smile.

according to articles on this site there is actually NO 100% accurate way of measuring bodyfat. One article claimed they went to a body in water analysis and got the wrong results. Whats most important is what you look like.

Id just take a mean over time & you should be able to see whether you’re going up or down, not take the reading as an exact figure.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

That’s only if you buy the cheaper models. The ones going for $150 or more are scientifically-proven to be accurate to within +/- 2%. I think the IronMan model is the one that does this.[/quote]

Really? 2% is pretty good.

i think on Tanitas site they claim +/- 5%

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

That’s only if you buy the cheaper models. The ones going for $150 or more are scientifically-proven to be accurate to within +/- 2%. I think the IronMan model is the one that does this.[/quote]

I bought one of the more expensive models once and they were still inaccurate. The less muscle mass you carry, the more accurate they might be. That means any athlete carrying above average muscle mass needs to look elsewhere.

I still think most of the people even asking this question not only don’t need to know their exact percentage but that even finding it out will hold them back from making optimal progress.

Aside from high level athletes or bodybuilders getting ready for competitions after years of training, what good is this number?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

That’s only if you buy the cheaper models. The ones going for $150 or more are scientifically-proven to be accurate to within +/- 2%. I think the IronMan model is the one that does this.

I bought one of the more expensive models once and they were still inaccurate. The less muscle mass you carry, the more accurate they might be. That means any athlete carrying above average muscle mass needs to look elsewhere.

I still think most of the people even asking this question not only don’t need to know their exact percentage but that even finding it out will hold them back from making optimal progress.

Aside from high level athletes or bodybuilders getting ready for competitions after years of training, what good is this number? [/quote]

What is wrong with a mirror?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

What is wrong with a mirror?[/quote]

I think it might be too complex a machine for newbies to master. They have to look…and actually see what’s there. Considering the actual posts in the past from people with 15" arms who thought they were “huge” before posting here, mirrors are clearly more advanced than ever before.

[quote]Millerizer130 wrote:
Are Tanita and Taylor scales fairly accurate at determining Body fat percentage?

I was just wondering what other peoples experiences were.

Also ive noticed on mine there is a normal mode and athlete mode- why does it matter?

[/quote]

I own a tanita and it is a waste as far as determining body fat. I can got on the scale three times in a row and it give three different reading with a fairly large spread. Not that useful.

CaliforniaLaw wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

Aside from high level athletes or bodybuilders getting ready for competitions after years of training, what good is this number? [/quote]

I have one and though I think it is not very accurate, it is probably the best device for me that I can have at home.

They may not be accurate, but they are consistent in their inaccuracy, meaning you know if you lose fat or something else.

Zap Branigan wrote:

What is wrong with a mirror?

I think it might be too complex a machine for newbies to master. They have to look…and actually see what’s there. Considering the actual posts in the past from people with 15" arms who thought they were “huge” before posting here, mirrors are clearly more advanced than ever before.[/quote]

ROFLMAO!

Even assuming somebody were able to give you your BF % down to the 10th decimal. I’m still waiting for the very first person to explain to me what they now know that they didn’t before that is of any more use to them than the mirror and pinch test.

Even for high level competitors. You look better now that you know? It will actually change what you do leading up to the show? Maybe it would, but how is somebody going to lose because they didn’t have this number?

no

[quote]orion wrote:
Professor X wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

Aside from high level athletes or bodybuilders getting ready for competitions after years of training, what good is this number?

I have one and though I think it is not very accurate, it is probably the best device for me that I can have at home.

They may not be accurate, but they are consistent in their inaccuracy, meaning you know if you lose fat or something else.[/quote]

That’s exactly right, especially if you take your measurements at the same time of day. They can be a useful tool for roughly tracking progress. I find that sometimes I see what I want to see in the mirror.

When I was trying to lose fat some time ago, using the Tanita on a daily basis at the same time of day and comparing weekly average numbers was very helpful to track my progress.