T Nation

Tampa Powerlifting

If anyone in the Tampa,Fl. area knows about any powerlifting gyms please let me know. I want to train with people that have the same interest as opposed to bodybuilders and such.

I live in Tampa aswell and in to power lifting. I mainly do hang-cleans, push presses and squats. I just do them at my local gym, Gold’s Gym. I am by no means an instructor and would like to get more serious about. I enjoy power lifting because it translates well to to my other intrests, wrestling/grappling and armwrestling. Well let me know if find any information.

Sean

Tommy Fannon has a gym in Tampa called Tampa Barbell; I believe the web site is www.tampabarbell.com

I trained at Titanium Barbell in St. Pete for 2 years and when I moved up to Tampa, I couldn’t afford the drive. I considered training at Tommy Fannon’s place but it is the size of my living room. When I checked the place out, Tommy was being a douche to me. So, I decided to not train at his gym.

The gym is purely for powerlifting. I currently train at the Bally’s on Hillsborough Ave. It has a rack and that is all I need.

Just found this Florida strongman competition websit: www.FloridaStrongman.com
The competition is being held in Clearwater, Feb. 27, 2007. I figure this would be fun for those into powerlifting in the Tampa area.

Thinking about doing it, got to months to train for it. I have an armwrestling competiton in Jacksonville this weekend for the state championships, why not strongman’s too! Let me know if anyone is interested.

This thread has been quiet for a while just seeing how things are going. I have been training hard for the strongman compitition and gain almost 10 lbs of mass in 3 weeks. Doing power/olympic lifiting 3-4 days a week and trying to consume 100 grams of protein a day. So far so good.

[quote]Souperman wrote:
This thread has been quiet for a while just seeing how things are going. I have been training hard for the strongman compitition and gain almost 10 lbs of mass in 3 weeks. Doing power/olympic lifiting 3-4 days a week and trying to consume 100 grams of protein a day. So far so good.[/quote]

10 lbs in 3 weeks is very good Souperman. How old are you?

I turn 28 this friday! Starting today I am going to up my protien to 2 grams per 1 kg of body weight. Thats approx. 190 grams at 210 lbs. Thats alot of damn protien. Consuming about a gallon of milk a day. lol

there used to be a powerhouse not too far from USF that was pretty friendly to powerlifters. it has been years since i have been there, but hopefully they are still up and running.

definitely worth a look.

brandon fl south hillsborough county has a few gyms
2 lifestyles
la fitness
golds closed down
but there are heavy hitters at all the gyms there they are respectable places to work out at

Not sure where in Tampa you live, but my girlfriend’s parents live in Apollo Beach and I lifted at the Apollo Beach Racquet and Fitnes expecting a universal machine and treadmill. It turns out it has a full range of powerlifting and strongman equipment.

There is a bucket of chalk right when you walk in and everything from fat bars to bands, boards and chains, to a log and yoke. It was easily the best gym I’ve ever lifted at. It is very small and I was there at an off time, so I don’t know how crowded it gets, but from just an equipment standpoint it is perfect. Hope this helps.