Tall Vs. Short Bodybuilding Mythbuster?

So this kid in my gym created this video… him standing at 5’7"ish… me standing at 6’1" of why he believes it is a myth that it is harder for taller guys to gain muscle…

I call B.S. His ‘theory’ assumes muscle, regardless of height (or length of muscle) have the same amount of muscle fiber. He also assumes that the difference in leverage in exercises and work loads will equal each other, not giving either population an advantage. Further, the assumption that exercises have the same effect on muscle hypertrophy regardless of body length proportions. But the matter of the fact is that it’s my opinion against his. What do you all think?

what the fucking fuck twice has long = hypertrophy twice as fast?

LOL.

Incorrect use of “fallacy” and faulty reasoning. (ie. that “twice as fast” claim is open to numerous, obvious objections)

That said I can appreciate his effort and if it makes him feel better about himself, then it wasn’t totally worthless.

hahahaha

height also makes no difference in basketball

I made this statement in the Jim Cordova thread but ill say it again. It isn’t easier for short guys to gain muscle (that’s all dependent on the individual) but it is easier for a shorter guy to fill out his frame. It will take less muscle to fill out a smaller frame than a larger one, obvi.

Didn’t watch the vid BTW

Didn’t check the vid but I’m waiting for ID getting all angry again.

I’ve never thought tall people like myself have a ‘harder’ road to getting big, just a longer one. Though, I guess it’ll be harder depending on the person, because someone who is 5’7" could only to eat the caloric needs of a 170-200 person (assuming they look ‘big’ at that weight) while a 6’4" will likely have to eat the needs of someone 220-240 to achieve the same look.

So being tall with a small appetite sucks.

The leverage thing has more to do with ratios of limb to torso length, not necessarily straight height, right?

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
Didn’t check the vid but I’m waiting for ID getting all angry again.[/quote]

Well put yourself in a short guy’s shoes.

We go our whole lives being picked on and bullied just for our height. In most other sports being taller is an advantage (track, basketball, football, strongman, etc).

Then you go on bodybuilding forums and short is seen as being advantageous with tall skinny dudes standing behind that sentiment the most. There are some so arrogant about it they wouldn’t even respect a short dude just because he is short.

It’s pretty frustrating - I’ll tell you that.

I’m 5’2" and according to some guys I should have it the easiest in the world to get big and jacked. Yeah? Well , shit, I think it’s going to take me just as long as anybody else with a poor appetite and tiny ass bones. And now, when I get there, I still won’t be as impressive as a tall guy - but hey, my height was such an advantage, right?

Iron Dwarf and I both started out sub 100lbs. How was that an advantage for us? lulz

The bottom line is it WILL take LESS total muscle mass for a shorter person to look filled out. But here’s the thing I don’t understand: why is this even questioned? Does a pitbull have less total muscle than a St.Bernard? Is a pitbull’s strength any less impressive because they are not very ‘big’ dogs? lol

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
The leverage thing has more to do with ratios of limb to torso length, not necessarily straight height, right?[/quote]

From what I understand it’s easier to compare two individuals of the same height than drastically different because there are a lot of variables involved. Plus our limbs don’t work as plain levers because the lever is not what is moving the weight alone. There is a muscle (tendons, ligaments, etc) involved, too.

If you compare two individuals based on weight and then height though… the shorter man who weighs as much as the taller man will usually be stronger. But that just makes sense.

The butthurt goes both ways. Short guys rag on taller guys in basketball, as the tall guys can do better with less skill.

Regardless, I’d still be lifting if I was tall or short. At the end of the day, those truly passionate will work at their craft enough to dominate at least on an amateur level.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
The butthurt goes both ways. Short guys rag on taller guys in basketball, as the tall guys can do better with less skill.

Regardless, I’d still be lifting if I was tall or short. At the end of the day, those truly passionate will work at their craft enough to dominate at least on an amateur level.[/quote]

I wasn’t saying the butt hurt DOESN’T go both ways. I was just explaining the butt hurt.

We all have our cross to bear.

It’s not that short people grow muscle any faster. It just takes less muscle to look bigger when you are short. It comes down to the length to width ratio. Personally I’m 6’4, 250 and I still look small from a distance.

[quote] Chaosnyli wrote:
So this kid in my gym created this video… him standing at 5’7"ish… me standing at 6’1" of why he believes it is a myth that it is harder for taller guys to gain muscle…

I call B.S. His ‘theory’ assumes muscle, regardless of height (or length of muscle) have the same amount of muscle fiber. He also assumes that the difference in leverage in exercises and work loads will equal each other, not giving either population an advantage. Further, the assumption that exercises have the same effect on muscle hypertrophy regardless of body length proportions. But the matter of the fact is that it’s my opinion against his. What do you all think?

- YouTube [/quote]

You should film a counter vid or something. Or anything to avoid telling him to his face.

[quote]roybot wrote:

You should film a counter vid or something. Or anything to avoid telling him to his face.[/quote]

The T-Nation Way!

[quote]zraw wrote:
what the fucking fuck twice has long = hypertrophy twice as fast?

LOL.[/quote]

I’m stretching everything, right now!

F those 5’10" people… Greedy bastards

Like the voice said in the video guys “…it should be common sense.”

my brain imploded. Fuck your friend.

I bet he goes on about how he is stronger than someone because he is deadlifting double his 150lbs bw x10 times?

Seems relevant, starting @1:04:

“… those guys are 6 foot and their measurements are the same as mine at 5’4” and a half. That makes them the small guys. Pathetic."

I’m 6’2" and I approve this message.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Seems relevant, starting @1:04:

“… those guys are 6 foot and their measurements are the same as mine at 5’4” and a half. That makes them the small guys. Pathetic."

I’m 6’2" and I approve this message.[/quote]

Gotta love Lee!