T Nation

Tall Lifter Looking For Feedback On What People Do When They're Over 6'2

looking to see how people train and what workouts are done for people over 6’2 with long limbs

Weightlifting shoes, front squats, single leg work, prowler/sleds, back squats to a box, trap bar deadlifts, deficit deadlifts.

tweet

4 Likes

I think I do lower mostly the same.
Upper body, my bench grip is a little closer. I do a lot of floor presses. Triceps have always been hard for me. After I tore my pec, I can’t do dips at all.

2 Likes

I’m 6’3" and long-limbed (dress shirt 17/36). But so far as I know, I don’t do anything different because of it, and don’t see a need to.

6 Likes

6"5" with 6’7" wingspan. Train the same as everyone else. You just get to move the weight further.

2 Likes

Did I say 6’3"? I meant 6’6". Damn autocorrect.

4 Likes

7 foot here…

Honestly, the same thing thatll build muscle for a 5 foot 10 guy will do the same thing as a 6 foot 10 guy, you just have to be smart about your approach, and be realistic to what effort itll take to achieve.
I used to ask the same questions, but personally for me, concentrating on mind muscle connection is important as us longer limbed fellows tend to try lift a certain weight, and naturally try to lug it, or throw our reach around causing pure momentum to move the weight, not actually using the muscles we need to emphasise to do the work.

Also understand that having larger muscle bellies, its going to take larger workloads to stimulate and grow.
But like anything, if you have certain exercises that you feel work better for you, as opposed to something else that then obviously do that.
For me, I almost (90%) only do front squat as I feel it benefits me more and allows me to activate the quads and core more, then say leg press or back squats.

As long as youre gearing your dietary needs towards your goals, and actively progressing working towards your physical goals whether that be adding more weight, intensity etc, youll have no problem towards building mass, or changing your body comp.

4 Likes

As a taller lifter, learn which squat/deadlift variations work best for your frame/levers.

For example, my frame “hates” BB back squats but seems to “love” goblets/front/bulgarian split/zerchers; similarly, DL stance/starting height can all be trial-and-error’ed as long as hip hinge/neutral lumbar position is respected

Of course there are work-arounds but you’ll fill out your frame fastest if you can consistently/safely progress at these two lifts, in particular

2 Likes

This is good advice for all lifters–not just tall ones.

3 Likes

I unliked this post so I could like it again.

3 Likes

I am 6’1" (I know that isn’t exactly the height you were looking at) but I have a pretty long reach, ~79 inches.

I do the starting strength workout with no issues.

2 Likes

6’4" here. I haven’t noticed the need to alter anything in any special way. We get more time under tension. Their is a long lifter on YouTube that tries out some bones related to training…

Basically, train hard and consistently. Don’t progress too fast (any lifter). Enjoy the time in the gym.

The strongest man in the world is 6’9" so there is hope for us short guys :joy:

Have fun dude, put the time in under the bar and enjoy filling out that big frame. We have to pick on a ton of muscle before we show like the shorter guys. 5 lbs of muscle spread over 76 inches is different than 5 lbs over 66.

2 Likes

I remember reading a T-nation article that comparing the leverages and difference in required force etc etc for the back squat between a tall long legged lifter vs a shorter lifter.

The difference is real and should be taken into account when choosing your lifting style.

tweet

2 Likes

Important point: what are your goals?

Being tall with a goal of “powerlifting” , tall with a goal of “strongman” and tall with a goal of “physique athlete” all will require different advice.

Powerlifting - “fill out to a heavier weight class and make sure the stance used for lifting works for your leverages.”

Aesthetics - ask @EyeDentist for the tricks that help you get the most bang for your buck visually.

2 Likes