Tall Guys - Squats vs. Leg Press

i am 6’3" and most of the time squats just develop my glutes (unimpressive quads and huge glutes), but what i found helps in terms of quad development is using a pre-exhaust method. Try out some high rep leg extensions and leg presses (around the 20 rep range) before your squats. your quads will be fully fatigued by then.

If I want to focus on guads more I just use a higher box and stop at above parallel.

[quote]plutusplutus wrote:
Lanky, as you lift the weight more and more of the chain lifts off the ground, increasing the load as the rep progresses.

This way when, lets say on bench, you start to move the weight higher and higher the load is getting increasingly heavier, thus exerting more force on your triceps.[/quote]

Thanks. I was kind of thinking they were used to make the weight heavier through the stronger part of the movement but that definitely clears things up for me.

good call JRT6, but how high above parallel do you set the box? 1 inch, 2 inches, etc? With crappy knees i find it a lot easier just to go with full squats all the time and skip the above parallel stuff.

I think only couple of inches would be fine. That’s how I did it. Night and day difference in strength just raising the box a few inches because of the leverage advantage. I’m just like you though and find below parallel to be easier on my knees. I don’t sit all the way back on box squats like pure powerlifters so I still get a lot of quad work regardless of the depth. Baring injury I probably will never high box again.