T Nation

Tall Guy Thread

Hello all my lanky friends.

for all you guys over 6’2 how do u go about your training and nutrition?
Most bodybuilders are midgets and have a easy time filling out those short little limbs,u read about their training but for the taller guys this info does not help much.

Ive read “why lurch wont grow” and posts from Eric cressy regarding tall man training,but id thought id ask the people.

Post your training and nutrition programs if u wish.

Peace

K of K

Overcoming Lousy Leverages

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=740326

Well I errr… lift weights. Eat big. Stretch after lifting. Do intervals instead of steady state cardio to lose fat… ummm… mainly eat protein and carbs before lunch, protein and fat after except around a workout, where it’s protein, simple sugars and creatine.

I also like silk sheets and walks on the beach in the rain.

Haha aint it a bitch to put on weight? I think the worst part is that for our lifts we have to move the weight twice as far! I always have to watch my back on deadlifts, and make sure I go all the way down on squats. I hate it when the guys at the gym that have the 2in ROM in bench are like “look what I can put up” haha

Safety squat bar changes makes the squat a whole different exercise.

Lift heavy, with more power movements (power curls instead of curls, push press…) If you are tall and thin these movements are more in keeping with how you naturally move, as opposed to a 5’5" fireplug of a guy, who moves more like a tank. Tall guys use leverage, momentum and are more ‘whip-like’ in their movements.

Make sense?

I’d have to say EDT for those long arms that take twice as much muscle to look filled out…

Front squats and SLDL’s work very well with me, I’m 6ft4in. Also bodyweight stuff - chins, dips and pistols. Is this the case with you other tall people as well?

My squat and bench poundages are way lower than most of my friends, though…

Well, I wouldn’t exactly call 6-2 lanky being that I am 6-7. Trust me, I know lanky.

As far as lifting/nutrition goes, just lift harder and eat smarter than the next guy. Nothing different than the short guys are doing. The “Lurch” article and “Lousy Leverages” article are great and explain why us taller guys have a hard time LOOKING big. But I, in no way, use them as an excuse.

Keep on training hard.

Chris

[quote]Big_Country wrote:
… The “Lurch” article and “Lousy Leverages” article are great and explain why us taller guys have a hard time LOOKING big. But I, in no way, use them as an excuse…[/quote]

UH… Lousy Leverages helps you OVERCOME being long limbed, helps you lift MORE weight and GROW. It’s the opposite of an excuse article.

Tall people suck…just wanted to throw that out there.

5’10 guy leaves the room

I have found that everything such as long levers, greater distance to move weights in a lift etc can be over come. The only thing that cant change is the thing that pisses me off the most. If I put on 10lbs, it looks like 5lbs compared to the 5’10 guy that adds on 10lbs.

I’m 6’4(193 cm on the line)

I do not believe in hardgainer/ectomorph/pencil-neck type stuff. But, the thing about leverage and relative gains/size/strength is true enough and it is kind of frustrating. I could throw in a couple dozen anecdotes of all the people I know and their appearances with regards to their weight training. But it all basically confirms the fact that, as far as appearance goes, taller guys do get shafted a little bit, it is harder for a tall guy to fill out and really look huge. But, that is overlooking the fact that, while I may not look as big as some of my friends, I’m as strong or stronger than they are. So it’s a bit of a mixed bag.

Ultimately, overcoming these minor hurdles and putting on mass and size, the tall guy is in a much better position to become a fucking monster than anyone else. I think it’s ultimately a boon to be over 6’ tall. I saw this guy down at the park recently, about 6’6 or 6’7, his forearms were about the size of my calves and they were vascular and defined, he had a thick and wide neck and big traps and impossibly thick shoulders. Then to cap it all off, not only was he playing soccer, after a while he removed his shirt and revealed a chiseled 6-pack and monster pecs. Seeing a guy like that is a helluva lot more impressive and noteworthy than seeing my 5’5 friend who is relatively equally ripped.

Although… I do think 6’4-6’6 is the limit. Any taller and you officially enter freak status.

Besides, everyone knows height is one of the most important factors in attracting the opposite sex.

[quote]helga wrote:
I have found that everything such as long levers, greater distance to move weights in a lift etc can be over come. The only thing that cant change is the thing that pisses me off the most. If I put on 10lbs, it looks like 5lbs compared to the 5’10 guy that adds on 10lbs.
[/quote]

That’s why you put on 20 lbs, and then shoot that guy.

[quote]Malevolence wrote:
helga wrote:

That’s why you put on 20 lbs, and then shoot that guy.[/quote]

Putting on 20lbs I am happy with, shooting my brother I am not so keen on, but I will keep it in mind.

6’3" guy checkin in

i’ve put some thought into this over the past little while and have come to the conclusion - lifting and being tall is a drag to a certain extent, but being tall is in general vastly superior to being short on a day to day basis. seeing over the heads of all the 5’8" people on the planet makes the seemingly endless ROM on deads and squats worthwhile.

I am 6’4.

I use A Hip Belt for Squats.

I a Trap/Shrug Bar for deadlifts.

I use dumbells for Bench Press.

I’m 6’5, 230 lbs, age 47. I played HS basketball at the same height, 160 pounds. Got up to 245 at one point. I’m a lot more mobile at 230. I think the “lurch” article gave me some food for thought when it came out. I really do get more leg growth (on my 36" inseam legs) from leg press. I still squat, but my intense leg work is from the leg press. I also find that sumo deads are a lot better for me. I can get the bar around my knees easier. Other than those minor points, I think my training and nutrition is just like a shorter guy’s. To the guy that suggested that longer levers are an advantage - that’s true on certain lifts (deads, maybe) NOT true on bench. So what? I compete in bench - with myself, nobody else.

[quote]ScienceGuy wrote:
Safety squat bar changes makes the squat a whole different exercise.

Lift heavy, with more power movements (power curls instead of curls, push press…) If you are tall and thin these movements are more in keeping with how you naturally move, as opposed to a 5’5" fireplug of a guy, who moves more like a tank. Tall guys use leverage, momentum and are more ‘whip-like’ in their movements.

Make sense?

I’d have to say EDT for those long arms that take twice as much muscle to look filled out…[/quote]

Yes, makes sense, but I would like to know a bit more if you do not mind. I had never really thought of the fact that it is more natural way of moving for me, but it is. How do you translate that into exercise choice?

Thanks!

Oh by the way, Don Alessi has some good articles on here:

Search: Train for your frame (some good bodybuilding tips).

I am 6-5 and think I train just like I would if I was 5-5. I was a monster 6-3, 155 pounds as a senior in high school and considered myself a hardgainer. Now at 6-5, 280 I look back and consider myself a dumbass.

Bench has always been a strong lift for me. My squat sucks. I use the “I have to move the weight farther” excuse all the time on squat. I am working on my deadlift and it is coming along. I have always focused more on bodybuilding, but now at 35 I am focusing more on some powerlifting.

Based on recent gym sessions I would put my bench at aroun 385, deadlift at 425, and squat at 295. Yes, 295, it sucks, but I have to move the weight farther!

One guy in this thread mentioned watching his back after deadlifts. I’ve found that doing some hardcore ab work after a DL workout really minimizes lower back pain the next day. Also invest in a foam roller, which dollar-for-dollar is probably the best piece of recovery equipment on the market. Aside from that, read the articles here. They’re a great resource.

I’m a tall guy.

The only advice I can give is don’t overlook the leg press. Some people may give me a hard time for this, but those of us with long thighbones need a way to keep working our quads after our lower backs give out on squats.